Starter help needed

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Not for a TDI, but for my Isuzu straight truck.....

The bolt that holds the strap from the starter to the solenoid broke at the head:

My question is, can I simply use a steel bolt to attach it, or does it have to be copper.

I did find this repair kit on E-bay for $50. The part that broke is the right bolt, but if I can use a $0.50 bolt, I'd rather do that. Just not sure if it has to be copper for corrosion resistance, or what?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Copper to handle the high amperage. Better conductivity, and a steel bolt will have more resistance, thus heat quickly. That's my thoughts without engineering calculations.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Good point. Perhaps I'll hit up some local rebuilders to see if I can get a copper bolt. No point in paying big $$$ for the kit when I just need a bolt.

proto

TDI
2003 Golf
I'd check with Newtons Electric in Brampton for anything starter related.

85 Steelwell Rd, 905-791-2485

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Got it sorted. Went to my local rebuilder and he had a box of parts for Denso starters and gave me the bolt no charge! Thanks for the tip.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Those Denso starters are hard on their solenoid contacts; you don't need the whole rebuild kit (as the plunger contact takes no real damage) but the two main copper contacts wear badly and cause an annoying no-start.

While you have it apart check both the contacts for erosion and if there's much of a step just replace them; else you'll be doing it again shortly...