Standheizungen, OEMoption to ESPAR heating system!

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Re: Standheizungen, OEMoption to ESPAR heating sys

How does the electrical integration part of it work? Does it tie into the ignition system and power the car in On mode? Or does it tie directly to the fan motor? So many questions I know but it's getting colder again and this system seems like such a fine thing to have.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Standheizungen Rocks!

Installed a Standheizungen with assistance from Mr. tongsli back in April. (Thanks Lito for your helping me out with the install - it made the job go easier!) Until now haven't had a chance to truly use it and thanks to this cold weather can now report on same.

Very nice to get in car after the Standheizungen has been on for about 10 minutes with some heat already coming out of the defroster vents. Starts up like it's summer with a 1-2 second wait for the glow plug light to go out. Half a mile down the road temperature needle is already moving up. 2 miles out am at normal operating temperature already. This in low 20's degree F weather! :D

Yes, I know I can run the Standheizungen longer for a more effective heating interval prior to starting up the engine. However as I only live three miles from work even taking the long way there (10+ miles) keep my preheat times low in order to run the car with the Standheizungen off for an equal or greater time amount that it was running to preheat things up. That is per Webasto's recommendations - not following them supposedly results in a shorter heater lifespan. As Lito mentioned earlier in this thread the Standheizungen can also be used to reduce the warmup time from a cold start while driving. That works out well too.

Real nice to not have to mess with the TDI Heater plug/cord too! Besides at work there is no place to plug in anyway. My car has both the Standheizungen and TDI Heater so can verify on an A4 both can coexist together with no problems.

Last edited:

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
CoolWht said:
My car has both the Standheizungen and TDI Heater so can verify on an A4 both can coexist together with no problems.
That is seriously cheating!! :D
I just picked up a Webasto unit, got it from somebody from work who totaled his car before he installed it. Now to figure out how to install it, he lost some of the manuals. My wife has taken over the garage and won't give it up now that we are getting snow. The thought of working on the car in the snowy driveway is not my idea of fun! :eek: But I it sure beats scraping snow and ice off the car at 5am before work!! Guess I know what I am doing this weekend. :) I am hoping you and Lito will be around if I have any questions. :)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Robert,

The danger of driving the unit less than the warming/heat time is draining your battery. Webasto doesn't want that to happen.

Are you keeping the unit on after you start driving? It sure sounds like it if it's warming up that quickly.

I bet turning it on for 5 minutes would be enough to get you a head-start. I did that last winter plenty of times. Never hurt a thing :)

Jim, we're here to help you out.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Lito,

Generally I use it for 10 minutes prior to starting and 5 minutes of drive time then shut it off at which time it's near normal operating temperature. I keep track of the run time and make sure I drive at least the equal amount of "preheat time" with it off. Thanks for the advisory on the possible battery draining effect though.

Perhaps I will shorten the preheat time and see how that compares to my current m.o. here. Still looking for the best balance between preheating time and warm up to operating temperature once underway.

Jim - not cheating with both systems. TDI Heater was already installed and since it wasn't in way of Webasto left it in place. Was ready to remove it if that had to be done though.

Robert

CB

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Black
>"That is seriously cheating!! :D
I just picked up a Webasto unit, got it from somebody from work who totaled his car before he installed it. Now to figure out how to install it, helost some of the manuals. "

If it is model specific, probably no problem,(mine is not) I have an espar and found on a 97, that you cannot just power up the fan even on an lower speed output. It works, but pulls in the air cond compressor clutch thru the resistor pack. (also will power the rear defoger control) Had to put an isolation relay and some timers, instead of lowering the fan speed with the cars built in fan resistor pack. (AC clutch dosn't show being wired that way on the diagrams I have, but is) Didn't want the heater fan running continously on HI for battery conservation, goes double for the AC clutch.
Sure is a great unit.
Regards
CB&Stoker

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Kennedy said:
The is a really cool unit that is offered as an option in Germany and most of the world.
Why on earth would it not be an option for a place like Canada or the northern states? It's only minus 25 degrees celcius right now....