Stalls, then restarts and runs great!

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
I own a 3-pedal 2010 JSW and occasionally as I am coming to a stop, when I press in the clutch and go into neutral, or to shift to a lower gear, the engine dies! Yesterday I did that as I approached a stop light on an uphill and as I attempted to shift to a lower gear - I lost power. I immediately began to pull over while I re-started the car - and thankfully it started up again. It scared me though, as I was on an uphill climb in heavy traffic in Greenville, SC. It could have resulted in an accident!
Ironically, I was there to look at the Lexus CT 200h. I am losing confidence in my VW delivering the reliability that I demand from a car. Though I must admit, I'll take the TDI JSW power and versatility over the Lexus CT any day!
While I always keep abreast of the CR HPFP problems, no one seems to have the stalling problem without a complete fail. I plan to call the dealer as it is still under warranty. But since it is intermittent, I am certain they'll never believe me...
Am I the only one experiencing a non-fatal stall issue? If so, I think it needs to be known to NHTSA. Any of you out there experiencing this lower-level (compared to a total HPFP failure) safety issue?
I don't use additives, and don't plan to either. I just don't have the time to research this option. For the record.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Mine does the same thing occasionally. I caught a thread somewhere on here that stated the CR will die if you pull it down past a certain RPM. The last time mine stalled I happened to glance down at the tach and noticed I had in fact left the clutch engaged long enough in a higher gear to pull the RPM's below idle speed, resulting in the stall. My CR diesel powered truck will buck and try to rev itself when this occurs, but the Jetta dies. I'm fairly sure this normal operation. Annoying but normal.

lethe

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I've had it happen twice and since it stalled so smoothly that I didn't even notice right away was confused but generally not concerned since it fired right back up without an issue.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I second what Nickbeek said. I have stalled mine several times while comin to a stop and letting the Rpms drop below 750 or so. I have learned after 43k to be sure and clutch before it drops too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texnkeroburner

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi Cup Edition DSG
supposedly under 800 or so rpms the computer will shut it off rather than kick it back up to idle.

tominmaggie

TDI
Thanks all for the responses! I shall stop worrying, and I appreciate the feedback. I believe that is exactly what happened. It is a bit annoying, and a little unnerving, but not a show-stopper.

tominmaggie

TDI
Do you have the latest ECU flash? It may make a difference re: stalling.
I brought it in a month ago for the flash update. Dealer did my 30k mile service and then told me it needed a flash update, but they didn't have time do do it that day. So I had to bring it in again just for the flash. Not an example of great service from the dealer - but I don't expect any better :rolleyes:

Guess I just need to be more careful.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
I have the latest and greatest flash and ECM as my ECM was replaced and flashed just last week. I have since stalled it when slowing to a stop. What has improved is stalling when taking off from a stop. I live on a very steep hill and have noticed a marked improvement when leaving my driveway.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Before I got my car I also read the thread that stated the engine will stall under 800 rpm, so I try my best to keep it above 1k when driving, I have stalled once in second gear and it was my first time in a parking lot with the car, but after that I haven't had many issues, I always downshift to 3rd or second before a stop to keep the rpm's up, and if I can't I'll be in neutral.

But I'm the kind of person who thinks its perfectly safe to coast in neutral once you're familiar with what speeds each gear runs at, if someone is about to smash you just shift into the best gear and run away.