splitting hairs- state your minor dislikes about the passat.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
1) twitching speedometer
2) acceleration from stop delay with DSG

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
CT Gman:
1) twitching speedometer: Not normal...get it fixed under warranty
2) DSG delay is well documented, yes it's annoying, but easily fixed by a change in driving style...

ssorange

TDI
Passat
My wife hates the front passenger seat, she said it was very uncomfortable and would hate to take a long trip with this car. Does anybody have a solution?
My wife and I hate the seats! I cannot drive the car on long trips!!! Please let me know if you have found a solution. I have talked with some people and they have actually traded their Passat in for another car! So far, my solution has been a memory foam pad on the seat bottom, but this thickens the seat and if you are tall like me headroom becomes an issue.
I am think about trying to find some Passat CC seats and seeing if they will fit.
Oh and the only other think that drives me crazy about my Passat is that the DSG shifts down too soon and unnecessarily. Often, while just barely touching the brake pedal, the transmission will shift down two or three gears forcing the engine to run up to 4k rpms! :confused: That's a lot for a diesel.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
My wife and I hate the seats! I cannot drive the car on long trips!!! Please let me know if you have found a solution. I have talked with some people and they have actually traded their Passat in for another car! So far, my solution has been a memory foam pad on the seat bottom, but this thickens the seat and if you are tall like me headroom becomes an issue.
I am think about trying to find some Passat CC seats and seeing if they will fit.
Oh and the only other think that drives me crazy about my Passat is that the DSG shifts down too soon and unnecessarily. Often, while just barely touching the brake pedal, the transmission will shift down two or three gears forcing the engine to run up to 4k rpms! :confused: That's a lot for a diesel.
just to warn you installing cc seats is in no way easy!
the one guy i have heard of doing this eventually made a custom harness for the seat controls and as of this day AFAIK has never got the seat heater working due to control module differences!

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Dislikes

1. Seats aren't as nice as CC/Treg
  2. RNS 510 (newer FW helps a little)
  3. If traffic signals aren't on the otherside of intersection, I sometimes have trouble seeing them (I'm too tall).
  4. DSG shift points are too high
  5. Fan runs after car turns off for DPF regen
  6. Switchblade key for KESSY SEL

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I just bought mine but here are the things that I felt it should have that others already do:

1. More modern dash (but keep it clean)
2. Able to turn off traction and stability control for icey patches that drive the ECU nuts
3. Need proximity sensors in a huge way as there isn't much rear view mirror visibility.
4. Memory seats, mirrors, ect

Opus

TDI
'12 Passat
unsure if these were previously posted..
overall, I like the car & love the mpg/power combo

only way to lock the doors is w/ key fob when exiting the vehicle (lets say you get home w/ groceries & take the 1st load inside; you're required to return with your keys to lock up when you're done instead of just pushing the lock button)
no dpf regen indicator (had to buy a scan gauge so I know when not to turn the car off)
rear window is distorted

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Im pissed with no traction control button , really annoying and needed for winter driving
i wish the radio stayed on for 15 min after the key is turned off
speedo seems two mphs off at 70

AreaMan

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Agree about the seats. They're fine for shorter trips but after several hours I feel like I'm sitting on a park bench or one of those steel folding chairs. I can get comfortable in general but the padding is too thin and/or hard.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
The soft is not good for long trip, since studies showed fatigue is building and body pain. It's sure enough soft and big seats are comfy short trips to stores or work.

All German cars has hard bottom seats and very strange, even it could feels uncomfortable back seat, but after 300-600 miles, the body will say different and lees fatigue.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
+1 on the seat- Plus IM 5'10 and my head is almost touching the sunroof, the most comfortable seat iv ever had was in a 1991 infinity G20, amazing seats

Sigforty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat w/DSG
+1 on the seat- Plus IM 5'10 and my head is almost touching the sunroof, the most comfortable seat iv ever had was in a 1991 infinity G20, amazing seats
The seat can be lowered. I am 6' and have no issues with my head and the roof.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...uhhh...long-waisted 5'10" might very well hit the ceiling...long-legged 6' not necessarily...

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
my seat adjuted right to lower position and I have pleanty space above me, noted I have sunroof. I'm not sure how person can touch the sunroof. I'm 6.0 and my friend he is 6.3-6.4 and did't have any issue. Actaully he noticed VW Passat is one of the cars that he can fit easy, and seat doesn't need go in far position.

xxl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, red, Jetta.....2013 Passat SE TDI
Im tall and .....

280 LBS.
6'6"
Fit great and comfy.
Took a 5 hour ride, one way, to Oakland Co Mich a couple of weeks ago and was very comfy.
My Buddy road with, hes 6'4' 255LBS and felt he same way.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
280 LBS.
6'6"
Fit great and comfy.
Took a 5 hour ride, one way, to Oakland Co Mich a couple of weeks ago and was very comfy.
My Buddy road with, hes 6'4' 255LBS and felt he same way.
^^^^^^

I am the same size. Passat is just as comfortable as our older SAAB wagon, i.e, VERY comfy.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bias? phlfly, body proportions vary a great deal. Ask any tailor...or, ask VeeDubTDI and compu85. It's reality.
There's no bias in fact.

kjblair

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Premium
Staying out of the headroom discussion...

Bought a 2013 TDI Premium last week. Great car and even better mileage. From a design perspective, what would I change?

There are little things that VW could do that would significantly change the perceived value of the car. For example, the sun visors are plastic. The added cost of using the same material that is used on the headliner wouldn't be great but it would convey a better message.

Same thing with the package shelf behind the rear seats. I was surprised to find that it was hard plastic.

On the other hand, it would be difficult to add a lot more soft touch plastics to the doors without significantly increasing the cost.

It's interesting to compare these choices with the ones they made with the switches. The controls for the windows and the trunk release have an upscale feel to them and would not feel out of place on an Audi. Realizing that VW needs to be cost competitive with their competition, I think they could do a better job at managing the trade-offs.

KS_Jetta

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual
I don't like the fact that the steering wheel is not centered with the seat. I imagine as I drive the car more (just got it yesterday) I'll learn to ignore it. Just as I will adapt to the clutch/brake/accelerator position(s)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
kjblair: With regard to "plastic" sun visors, I don't think long-term you'd like the oil stains from your fingers if they were covered in fabric.

muraole

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
Bought a 2013 TDI Premium last week. Great car and even better mileage. From a design perspective, what would I change?
There are little things that VW could do that would significantly change the perceived value of the car. For example, the sun visors are plastic. The added cost of using the same material that is used on the headliner wouldn't be great but it would convey a better message.
Same thing with the package shelf behind the rear seats. I was surprised to find that it was hard plastic.
On the other hand, it would be difficult to add a lot more soft touch plastics to the doors without significantly increasing the cost.
It's interesting to compare these choices with the ones they made with the switches. The controls for the windows and the trunk release have an upscale feel to them and would not feel out of place on an Audi. Realizing that VW needs to be cost competitive with their competition, I think they could do a better job at managing the trade-offs.
I actually appreciate that the rear shelf is plastic. Nobody ever touches it, so no one will ever know, but it makes it a lot easier to clean. Fabric ones gather dust which I am allergic to so I would always have to vacuum this on my Infiniti, Acura, and Volvo. I agree with the switches. Even gimmick heavy cars like the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport my gf just picked up has only driver's auto switch and they feel much cheaper in general. That being said, I do wish that they threw in a couple more bells and whistles that the Hyundai gets.

Last edited:

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
RE: Twitching Speedometer.
Does your's twitch all the way up and down? I have a slight twitch around 70 MPH. Besides that, its pretty smooth.
It can occur at any speed. It seems to be somewhat related to the road surface, so I am wondering if it is the tires/suspension. (I have Hancooks)

SilverMerkur

TDI
Now: 2014 Passat TDI 6M; Then: 2009 Jetta TDI 6M - Loyal Edition
Just picked mine up over the weekend have clocked about 100 miles on it. So far, I love the car and it is an upgrade to my Jetta. There are a couple of minor things that have struck me a bit odd:
- a separate plastic key for the glove box rather than a true valet key. Really?
- I kicked in the ESC going around a corner with traffic while lightly touching the brakes. Had the steering wheel jerk to the side and had to quickly correct. In my 5 years of my '09 Jetta ownership, I never once had the ESC activate regardless of conditions
- The materials covering the inside of the truck lid seem really cheap (rental car cheap)
- The driver side seat controls seem really flimsy. I was afraid I was going to break them while positioning my seat for the first time

Overall, these minor minuses are just that. The car has exceeded my expectations with regards to noise, ride and overall quality in my first few days. I do have to say that the Hankooks do not appear to be as bad as I've read here. The car is quieter on the highway compared to my Jetta. I'm looking forward to doing some more extensive driving with the car over the coming years. :)