Soy-Powered Boat Traveling Around Globe Anchors In Del.

savd4one

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Passat Wagon - evil gasser :)
i found this on the local new channel's web site - just an interesting article i found...enjoy :)

A boat that is traveling around the world using only renewable fuel plans to stop at the Indian River Marina Monday afternoon to educate people about the benefits of using soy biodiesel. The crew steering the boat around the world’s oceans is hoping to circumnavigate the globe in record time using only renewable fuels. They’re calling their mission “Earthrace.” The boat will trek more than 24,000 nautical miles as the powerboat and its crew stop along the way to offer lessons on environmentally-sound fuel and the economical benefits that can come along with it. Delaware has a history of promoting green ideas. In May 2005, the Indian River Marina was honored by Gov. Ruth Ann Minner as the first marina in Delaware to offer soy biodiesel fuel for boats. The fuel is non-toxic, biodegradable and provides significant environmental benefits to Delaware's marine ecosystems. Over the past seven years, the Delaware Soybean Board, an organization of soybean farmers from throughout the state, has funded soy biodiesel initiatives and promoted the fuel. In 2005, the Board provided extensive funding and promotional support for the introduction of soy biodiesel at the marina. Made from soybeans, Delaware's number one crop, soy biodiesel was developed as an environmentally-sound fossil fuel alternative, reducing our country's dependence on foreign fuel.
Copyright 2006 by NBC10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
Looks as though they scrapped the proposed St Lawrence Seaway/Great Lakes section of the trip. Bummer! I was planning to go see it in Port Huron. :( But this time of year is admittedly NOT a good time to be on the Lakes with a smaller craft...