Soot Load

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
My soot loading readout has been tracking right with the regen cycles. Slowly goes up to 100% hits the regen and then drops to between 13 and 23%. My last regen started as I got to my destination so I left it run through the regen at idle. It only dropped down to 23% that time. The previous two regen dropped down to 12% load after regen. Really cool when it works.

Costello

TDI
no longer
How old is your SGII? You may need an update. Check your firmware version. The most current version is 4.13, these gauges may not be supported if you have an earlier version.

Follow this link, as it has the instructions for checking your version and instructions to get your SGII upgraded with the latest firmware. http://www.scangauge.com/support/upgrade/
Thanks ABS, just checked and I am at ver 4.13
I double checked the config again, I must be missing something, but it sure looks right to me. I sent a note to linear-logic, hopefully it's something simple. I HATE missing that a regen is running right about the time I'm pulling in to park. I have failed to notice the EGT and DPF temps before, and figure soot load will help give me a heads-up.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Thanks ABS, just checked and I am at ver 4.13
I double checked the config again, I must be missing something, but it sure looks right to me. I sent a note to linear-logic, hopefully it's something simple. I HATE missing that a regen is running right about the time I'm pulling in to park. I have failed to notice the EGT and DPF temps before, and figure soot load will help give me a heads-up.
You may want to try loading it into a different X-Gauge Slot. I have heard of a few cases where a gauge just didn't take in a given slot. Also, be very sure you have the coding as I listed on the first page. As I am sure you know, if your off by a character the gauge will not work. Finally, after saving, be sure to scroll back through and check to make sure everything took. I have had on more than one occasion, the TXD is incomplete and I have to go back in and edit and re-save. Maybe its my fat fingers, or maybe my SGII is quirky because its always the TXD...

Good Luck,

Cheers!

Aaron

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Harrumph. Soot load number quickly went from 23 to 100, probably less than 65 miles city driving. Soot load now says 100, I've driven 10 miles, fully warm, and no regen.

Gee..."Linear Logic" might not be so "linear" after all! HAHA!!!
:confused: Weird, considering you were one of the first to try after I posted and it was working... I wonder if there is a sub routine in the ECM at play... Let us know when it does go into regen and what happens on the gauge...

My soot loading readout has been tracking right with the regen cycles. Slowly goes up to 100% hits the regen and then drops to between 13 and 23%. My last regen started as I got to my destination so I left it run through the regen at idle. It only dropped down to 23% that time. The previous two regen dropped down to 12% load after regen. Really cool when it works.
Yours is acting like mine, very consistent. It seems that if my regen finishes while at cruising speeds the load drops to the lower end of the range(~10%), but if the regen finishes while at idle, the ending load is as the higher end of the range (~20%).

Cheers!

Aaron

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Our car is driven primarily by my better half, so I don't see with any regularity what goes on with it. With that said, she's gotten considerably better at watching guages and reports things that are out of there ordinary. I coded the soot load last Thursday, and she drove to NJ the next day. She noticed that a regen started with the soot at 67% very soon after she got on the freeway, and it did another on the return trip Sunday at 62%. I don't know how low it was after the regen's were complete. Still, I think this will be very helpful as we continue to monitor.

Costello

TDI
no longer
Well, here's the sad news:
According to Linear-Logic my 2012 doesn't support this feature :(

The excellent folks at Linear-Logic gave me the instructions to test compatibility. They said they were aware of a few 2012 models that did not support this feature:
Following instructions on page 54, send the code 0180. I did this, and apparently the response 4180A100000000 (not really sure how many zeroes) indicates my sensor/ECU does not support this.

Not SG's fault. Rather a bummer though, b/c one of the main reasons I got the SGII was for regen monitoring. Oh well, I'll be happy monitoring the exhaust and cat temps, plus water temp and volts :cool:

Thanks to the info and help on this forum and thread, I wouldn't have known to try.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Well I finally drove my car after loading this last Thursday, it was 78 when loaded. I went about 8 miles and it got up to 80 then like others have stated, it jumped to 100 with the regen. When it finished 10 minutes later it showed 23.

This was the first one so I will try to watch more now and see if it is consistent and predictable. I noticed that the load would go up about a point every 5-6 miles driven.

Last edited:

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
So I wonder if the measuring block reading is in percent ounce as in 80 = .80 ounces or about 22.5 grams. The active regen should be between 18 and 24 grams calculated. Which would be between .64 and .85 ounces.

If this is true, I bet linear logic could change the code to grams.
Thoughts????:eek:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
harrumph x 2: I now have driven about 55 miles, all in town, with the soot load showing 100, with no regen.
Hope my wife catches a regen tomorrow, and resets the #2 trip meter so we can get a more accurate number. (yes, I have VCDS, but too tired/lazy to hook it up this evening...)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Harrumph x 3: We drove more than 100 miles with the ScanGuage reading "100" for the soot level. After a highway regen, number dropped to 23.
When time permits, I'll contact ScanGuage directly and ask them about it.

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
Hey all,

I indicated I would follow-up, so here's an update. James, with Linear Logic, and I have been passing emails back and forth. I apologize, James sent the first iteration last week, while I was in Charlotte on buisiness. So I didnt get a chance to try that first iteration until Thursday last week. Today he sent me an update after the last iteration would return a value "0" when under normal driving and "1" during a regen. He modified that last iteration and now I am seeing something.

Here is a pic of my SGII from my commute home, showing the DPF Load (I called it "SOT" in the lower right quadrant of the gauge) at 37%.

I have not had a chance to verify. Based on my average mileage between regens, the car should go into its next regen tomorrow on my commute home. I'll also hook up to VCDS when I get a chance.

Anyway, here is the coding:
[FONT=&quot]DPF Soot Load (%)
TXD: 07E0018B
RXF: 0541068B0000
RXD: 4008
MTH: 006400FF0000
NAM: SOT or maybe SUT or whatever makes sense to you....

If anyone tries it out and has a chance to verify, please post back here.

C[FONT=&quot]h[/FONT]eers[FONT=&quot]![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Aaron[/FONT]
[/FONT]

This does nothing on my 2010 Audi A3. :(
No reading.

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
I got everything else working though. This is a pretty sweet gauge.
I'm not sure what's causing the DPF Soot Load to not read.