Some Pics Of A Golf V TDI Right Here In The USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
While running up to Phoenix this past weekend my wife and I stopped off to grab some grub and spotted two odd cars in the parking lot. The first was a dark blue Audi A3. Looking at the interior it had some computer equipment in various areas of the car. The second car we didn’t see until later was a blue Golf V. After looking around to see who might be driving the A3 we spotted 3 younger guys who seemed to look foreign. I asked if they were the ones in the A3 since they were heading in that direction. One asked, how do you know about the A3? They are not in America. Well one is right over there, I replied. They said they were engineers from Germany doing testing on some vehicles. Two were from Audi/VW and the third was from Siemans. They were doing A/C testing and had a GMC van support vehicle pulling data from the test vehicle via wireless network. We talked for about 45 minutes about TDIs. One was particularly interested in my TDI and wanted to look at it. He was interested in how we have overcome some of the quirks we experience with the VWs and TDIs in general. I wish I could have had a picture of their faces when discussing and showing the MB MAF. The Siemans engineer was very interested in VAG-COM since electronics monitoring was his specialty. They were very much interested in how much we love our VW TDIs. I could see these guys were starting to cook in the hot AZ sun and decided to let them go. I ran into a store to purchase a disposable camera and snap a few pics. Returning the A3 was gone but then I spotted the Golf V not far from where the A3 was. I snapped a few pics and nearly crapped my pants when I came to the rear end of the Golf. 2.0 TDI! I waited a bit to see if I could get a shot of the interior and engine bay but nobody came out. I imagine they saw me with the camera and didn’t want to have to tell me no. I have ran into other engineers like this and they will normally avoid you like the plague. Well here are the pics that I got. Sorry about the poor pic quality. Enjoy!

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Didn't realize the rear end would look so Toureggy.

Was there some protective material on the doors to make one set look darker than the other?

All in all I think I like the current Golf's looks better.

Thanks for the pix and write-up. Sounds like it was fun. Maybe not for your wife, but...

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Think they would have flushed out of their hiding spot if they saw you circling the car with a pry bar while eyeing up the hood/grill? /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe they would have been up for an "instrumented" run vs. your TDI? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW - NICE scoop/sighting

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Thankx for the pics! Could you tell if the car had more rear leg room? From the pictures I couldn't notice that it was any bigger than the current golfs.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
The only thing I'm not warming up to are the tail lights.

Now the A3 on the other hand... Audi, you'll be hearing from me later on this decade. That'll give you time enough to do the Steppanwolf to it, and certify more TDI choices to stuff INTO it!

Thanks for going out of your way for the pictures! Your conversation with the techs must have been fine. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Cool and good man for grabbing those shots! Well have to re-name you the "Hans Lehmann" of tdiclub! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice friggin' job!

Was there anything unusual about the license plate it was wearing?

Also, why does one need Park-tronic on a car like a Golf /images/graemlins/confused.gif Have we grown that lazy /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
You are such a paparazzo! Nice job! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Excellent stuff !! I'd say this might be the scoop of the year for this place !!! Make sure you watermark those pictures for credit or someone will sell them out from under you !!

Could you tell if it was the 140hp PD ?? (not sure how you would do that from the outside)..

Was the TDI logo all silver ? (looks like it)...

Thanks for passing those on !

Gary M

Flex

TDI
Black, 97 Civic EX
Dude. That is so awsome you ran into these guys! What are the odds of a TDIclubber running into the next generation Golf before it's even been released here. Simply amazing stuff. Glad you took those pics.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
[ QUOTE ]
dieseldorf said:
Also, why does one need Park-tronic on a car like a Golf /images/graemlins/confused.gif Have we grown that lazy /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Around here there are more and more "brail method" parkers every day so I'd answer yes, unfortunately. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

03GOLFTDI19

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
GotDiesel? said:
Didn't realize the rear end would look so Toureggy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing you say that because my dad says the toureg looks like a giant golf /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
Cool pics! That had to be a GREAT conversation!

Even though I only live 5 miles from the VWoA headquarters I never see the new stuff...all I ever see are new GM, Ford and especially Chrysler stuff (Chrysler's headquarters is about 5 miles north of VW's). Think I'll start scoping out VW's parking lot for some new goodies /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2fastdre

Veteran Member
Wow! That story is what dreams are made of!

You know - that conversation with VW/Audi engineers was as beneficial and fun for the engineers as it was for you. I would bet that those sleep deprived engineers don't get to talk to the real world TDI enthusiast that often!

Very nice pics. And you should copyright them. Befoer I steal them from you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

2FastDre.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
Thanks for the great pics. So, may be an Audi A3 TDI in the horizon?? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh! It did not seem to have the red D's or I's in the TDI emblem, does it mean anything? I thought higher power rated TDI's were denoted by different colored (Green or Red) D's and I's. Can anyone shed some light? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The current Golf, IMHO, is one of the smartest looking hatchbacks, but the new generation does look fresh and with toys like Xenon, Nav, and even wood-steering wheels, who would need a luxury car /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
Thanks for the pics and a good story... This set of pics just continues to confirm that I am not liking this body style at all and that wood trim on the interior is hurting.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif..

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
dropFROG said:
...and that wood trim on the interior is hurting.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif..

[/ QUOTE ]

it does look REALLY out of place. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
The doors that don't match in color seemed to have been replaced and looked to be silver prior to being painted blue with a cheap spray can. There were lines painted all over where the bady panels meet doors, lights, etc. I guess they were testing for body structure strength and movement. The interior did look more roomy as compared to the current Golf. The dash seemed smaller too. Very nice interior. The plates are AZ auto manufacter testing plates. See them all the time around here. I was pretty stoked about the whole thing. The real cool thing about it was that the engineers seem to be pretty stoked to talk to a ragin TDI'er on this side of the pond. They really didn't have anything to with TDIs. I believe they were just testing A/C stuff and electronics. Heads up to those in TX that is where they were headed to do some humid hot weather testing. Driving on I-10 the whole way. BTW there have been sightings of V-10 TDI phaetons, V-10 T-regs, R-32, polos, some porche stuff.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
[ QUOTE ]
NYTDI said:
[ QUOTE ]
dieseldorf said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I've heard it described as 'acoustic parking' <bump!> forward <bump!> backward....

Around here there are more and more "brail method" parkers every day so I'd answer yes, unfortunately. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
Yeah but... from what I read on VWVortex, the TDi is NOT among the engine choices that will be offered here![ QUOTE ]
From what we've been able to gather so far the U.S. Golf/Jetta V models will be coming in GL, GLS and GLX trim levels with an all-new 150hp 2.5l inline-5 cylinder as the base engine and an all-new 200hp 16v 2.0l 4-cylinder turbo as the uprated engine. The 3.2l VR6 should be a delayed introduction with 4motion all-wheel-drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I would suspect if this is indeed true it's because the new TDI engines are designed to meet EU4 pollution standards, and thus can't be used with our high-sulfur fuel! If this is really what's going to happen, that's a serious bummer! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Great pics anyhow - I like it better after looking at these than after seeing the official press pics!

TDiBook

Hold on there. I think that Jamie was just talking there about spark-ignition (petrol) engine updates only. Remember that ULSD fuel will be mandated in the US starting June 2006 so the new (temporarily detuned) PD-TDI engines will update the current NA ones. It's all coming...here's a couple of tidbits, also from the Vortex.

Future NA TDIs
2004 NA TDI Models

DougFromMaine

TDI
'15 Golf Sportwagen TDI (Diesels but not TDIs: '82 VW Vanagon Wesfalia 1.6TD, '86 VW Transporter Single Cab 1.9TD)
TDIBook - I do hope you're right! The impression I got from reading all those articles was that the Golf V diesels were both going to be 4-valve units, which would not work here until 2006. And that the current new to us Golf IV PD diesels would not be available in the Golf V. I did really well on reading comprehension in high school, but my interpretation could be way off base! /images/graemlins/smile.gif But factor in, as I posted elsewhere, that President W will no doubt find a way to derail the 2006 LSD regultion - and who knows what the future will hold!?!?

VWannabe

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
Remember that ULSD fuel will be mandated in the US starting June 2003 so the new (temporarily detuned) PD-TDI engines will update the current NA ones

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did you get this information? The only places where ULSD are mandated right now are California and some areas in Texas, although I would hope that Atlanta be put on that list due to our poor air quality. ULSD is mandated nationwide in 2006, not 2003, which would mean it is already here.

zinkengruven

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2003 Indigo Blue
Good job scooping those photos, we seen it here 1st folks! There's no trunk handle on the exterior, that's too bad. IMHO, this new design is a step in the wrong direction for the Golf. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Ibiza Sport 130hp TDI Black
[ QUOTE ]
zinkengruven said:
Good job scooping those photos, we seen it here 1st folks! There's no trunk handle on the exterior, that's too bad. IMHO, this new design is a step in the wrong direction for the Golf. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The VW badge pivots and acts as a trunk handle.

Steve

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
DougFromMaine said:
The impression I got from reading all those articles was that the Golf V diesels were both going to be 4-valve units, which would not work here until 2006. And that the current new to us Golf IV PD diesels would not be available in the Golf V.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that the North American cars are getting the current 2 valve head 1.9 PD units, bored out to 2.0, with some changes to the emission control system to allow for high sulphur diesel. The four valve head will follow when ULSD is available (15ppm).

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
For those who are not aware of this, all the diesels engines for the VW group (Audi, SEAT, Skoda) are built in Hungary at Audi Hungaria. This plant produced 3.7 million engines last year.

From other sources it looks like VW are planning to produce TDI engines in Brazil as well, partly to fulfil their new contract with Daimler-Chrysler for small diesel engines. D-C will build the new fourFour in Brazil for the North American market.

Status
Not open for further replies.