Some more (old?) fuel on the "VW Bio Rules" fire

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I was cruising around ElsaWeb a little bit ago and cam across this, thoughts?;

Link me (sorry, I guess you have to log in to see the original:()
Bio-diesel

Only vehicles manufactured in series, or with the special equipment (number PR 2G0) approved by Volkswagen for use of bio-diesel, can use bio-diesel.

The Golf diesel engines are able to run with bio-diesel as standard.

Caution
-If bio-diesel is used without the vehicle being prepared for this, it may damage the supply system.
-When fuelling with bio-diesel, always use it in compliance with the rule DIN EN 14214 (FAME)!
-The use of bio-diesel that does not correspond to this rule may clog the fuel filter.

The bio-diesel must comply with the rule DIN EN 14214 (FAME).
-Bio-diesel means “methyl ester produced from vegetable oils”.
-DIN means “Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V (German Institute for Normalization)”.
-EN means “European Norm”.
-FAME means “Fatty Acid Methyl Ester”.

Particularities of the bio-diesel

-The vehicle power during the use of bio-diesel may be slightly inferior.
-When bio-diesel, the fuel consumption may be slightly higher.
-Bio-diesel supports temperatures up to 14 °F (-10°C).
-With temperatures lower than 14 °F (-10°C), it is recommended to use a winter fuel.

Note

-When bio-diesel is used, observe the modified intervals to drain water and change the fuel filter.
-When the vehicle is immobilized for periods longer than 2 weeks, it is recommended to replenish it in advance with conventional diesel and travel a distance of approximately 30 miles (50 Km), to avoid damages to the injection system.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
runonbeer said:
You may run into trouble trying to use pure biodiesel above 14 °F (-10°C)
Wouldn't that be below, not above?

I was actually wondering if this could help with people asking about what % of bio was safe to run in their TDI. I know VWoA officially says 5% with 20% pending because they are covering their bums. But this would indicate there are specific standards for which VW has issued and we could feel safe running higher % of bio if we use bio adhering to those standards. Also there is a PR code to look for that indicates whether your car has bio-diesel safe fuel system.

Just trying to get the info out there and let people in the know digest it.

Jason

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
hummmm! looks like they are starting to crack the no bio door open, suggesting , if you have to run biofuel 1. find a good supplyer with quality fuel, 2. replace your fuel filter sooner (every 10K) 3. dont let fuel sit more than 2 weeks (water build up) 4. live with the lower fuel mileage and lower power . as for lower air temps mix with #2 diesel, IMO. if you follow this you shoulnt have any problems, in my area most of our cust running this set up and following this simple set of suggested rules, the fuel problems have deminnished.

stinkindiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've been using B100 (B80 when temps are expected to dip below 40) for 4+ years. I replace the fuel filter every 20k and my fuel log for 2007 reflects 48.9 MPG. Not bad considering I have a 25 mile daily commute, 9 miles of <15 mph crawl and the balance being 70+mph. I've also noticed no "bump" in power on those rare occasions I've had to throw a few gallons of D100 into a near-empty tank to make it home.