Some '08 models will cost more than $1 a mile.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Some '08 models will cost more than $1 a mile.

So you've swallowed hard and figured out what you'll need for the down-payment on your new car. You've even worked in the price of gasoline. But before you sign on that dotted line, better figure in a range of other factors, including insurance, maintenance, and more.

The cost of owning and operating the typical new car or light truck is pushing into record territory, according to a new study by the consulting firm, Runzheimer International. Since the average American motorist will clock 15,000 miles or more, each year, expect to pay $1 or more a mile, for some models - or enough to buy another mid-size sedan, once you add everything up.

Feeding and caring for your 2008 Cadillac STS - the most expensive passenger car in the Runzheimer survey - will come to an estimated $19,537, all told. Close behind are the Lexus LS460, at $19, 372, and the Audi S4 quattro, at $18,948.

For that money, you'd nearly be able to purchase and operate a Toyota Corolla CE for the entire year. The Japanese sedan was the operating cost king, according to Runzheimer, at $7933 annually, the least expensive of all vehicles surveyed. (The Corolla CE's sticker price, meanwhile, comes in at $15,065, for a first-year total bill of just $22,998.)

Number two on the most affordable car list was the Hyundai Accent GLS, at $8505, while Chevrolet's Cobalt LT came in third, with annual operating expenses of $8917.

Clearly, the rapid run-up in fuel prices has had a big impact on operating costs. All three of the most expensive passenger car models feature big V-8s, while the Corolla, Accent, and Cobalt use fuel-sipping in-line fours. The same pattern holds true with the light trucks Runzheimer surveyed.

At the high end, Ford's brawny, V-8-powered E350 XL S.D. will set an owner back $16,543 in annual operating costs, with the Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4x4 close behind, at $15,789. Third most expensive is the Ford Explorer XLT 4x4, at $14,485.

The least expensive trucks to operate, Runzheimer found, are the four-cylinder Ford Ranger XL 4x2 (with the six-foot bed), at $9929. Two V-6 models follow: the GMC Sierra 1500 Work 4x2 (eight-foot), at $11,712, and the Jeep Liberty Sport 4x2, at $11,717.

"When you examine which vehicle to buy, it's not enough to compare only sticker prices or even best negotiated deal," notes Lee Czarapata, Director of Client Relations, Business Vehicle Services at Runzheimer International. "To gain a better understanding of how much a vehicle will cost over its life time, all of the major expenses you incur once you drive off the lot - such as finance payments, insurance, fuel, depreciation, fees, taxes and cost of repairs and maintenance - should be part of your equation."

The Runzheimer study balanced out those costs against a 36-month/60,000-mile ownership cycle.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Auto_News/Auto_Operating_Costs_Hit_New_Record.S173.A13720.html?srccd=cn20071207

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
PapaBare said:
...The Runzheimer study balanced out those costs against a 36-month/60,000-mile ownership cycle...
this is apples to oranges for the typical diesel owner... :confused:

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
There must be a very large number of people that do not even drive their vehicles in order to come up with an overall 20,000 mile/year average.
It does not seem realistic any more.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
I think I avg about 17,000 miles per year on my car. I don't want to think about the costs of ownership after reading that though.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I figured on keeping my car for 250k, and haven't had many repair costs, so my initial estimates should still be correct. 5 cents/mile maintance, 10 depreciation, and currently around 7 for fuel. I don't count taxes or insurance, since I figure I'll own a car and it'll cost as much whether I drive 2k/year or my current 34k/year. That comes out to $7500/year. Maybe 9k total including taxes and insurance (probably less).

Maybe people oughta keep their cars longer.

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
supton said:
I figured on keeping my car for 250k, and haven't had many repair costs, so my initial estimates should still be correct. 5 cents/mile maintance, 10 depreciation, and currently around 7 for fuel. I don't count taxes or insurance, since I figure I'll own a car and it'll cost as much whether I drive 2k/year or my current 34k/year. That comes out to $7500/year. Maybe 9k total including taxes and insurance (probably less).

Maybe people oughta keep their cars longer.
Can you share your detailed calculations. They seem high. And those Cadillac seem seriously whacked.
VW new: $20,000 - $12,000 ( 4 year resale ) = $8,000/4 years = $2K/year dep
500 gallons fuel year @ $3.50 = $1,750/year
Insurance should not run more than $1,000/year
Tires and oil ....$100/year ??? I get about $4K / year or under 20 cents/mile.

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Mine was 25k I figured, after interest--23k on the lot, 2 year loan, never took the time to figure out actual cost (didn't want to). 25k/250kmiles, ten cents right there, although if I go past 300k that will surely go down. Anyhow, I figured I'd drive it the point the resale cost won't matter.

Fuel, $3.50/gallon / 46mpg. 7.6cents/mile. Worse than I thought...

Maintance: every 10k: $50 of oil plus $8 filter. Every 20k: $27 fuel filter. Every 40k: $450 tires (working on driving that down with this set of tires), air filter $12(?). Every 100k: TB, $700, give or take. That comes out to 2.6cents/mile. I musta rounded that up so as to include windshields every 2 years, random wheel alignments (had to have one at 105k due to bad wheel bearings), and random repairs as the car ages (see prior issue).

So, I'm not too far off from 20cents, now that I've added it up. Maybe in the next few years I can keep it around there, once I get tires that last longer. I've also been doing more like 12k on oil changes and 25k on fuel filter changes.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
PapaBare said:
The cost of owning and operating the typical new car or light truck is pushing into record territory, according to a new study by the consulting firm, Runzheimer International.

. . . expect to pay $1 or more a mile, for some models - or enough to buy another mid-size sedan, once you add everything up.
No matter how bad the economy is for the average working man, there will always be some people that have way too much money to throw around on stupid stuff like a Lexus or Mercedes that costs farking $1 a mile to own/operate.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
PapaBare said:
There must be a very large number of people that do not even drive their vehicles in order to come up with an overall 20,000 mile/year average.
It does not seem realistic any more.
Most people now are trying to buy houses withing a short radius of work. Also combine trips and other mile reduction.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Looking over our 2006 tax return, it cost us C$0.22 per mile to drive 56524 miles... (not counting the cost of the car, as it's fully paid off)...

I guess that's not all that terrible, but I don't like to have to think this way... it may cramp my lifestyle...

Yuri.

Last edited: