[SOLVED] Hit pothole with driver side front tire; now loud clanking noise when turning right

VWMatt

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Yesterday around lunch driving back from a customers on the highway I hit a pothole doing about 50 -60 mph. It made a loud bang.

Drove home fine but then started hearing and feeling a clanking/thudding sound when turning sharp right at speed. When I turned corners going slow it was okay or only one in awhile hear / feel a clank/thud.

When I turn left I cannot replicate that sound.

I tried replicating it going fast up and down drive way no noise/feel.

Took tire off tire is fine.
Tie rod looks and feels fine.
CV joint has no play in it and feels good. Rotated the tire while jacked up and no noise could be replicated.
I had planned on replacing the LCA but not sure that is what it is.

Anytime I hear of a noise when turning I immediately think of CV joint but the boots are perfect and it feels solid.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
I'd check the ball joint, it's the part that takes the biggest impact when you hit something. Grab the tire in the 6 and 12 o'clock position and wiggle it, see if you can feel some play. You can also visually inspect the rear control arm bushing, and the front bushing the way BobnOH mentioned.

VWMatt

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I'd check the ball joint, it's the part that takes the biggest impact when you hit something. Grab the tire in the 6 and 12 o'clock position and wiggle it, see if you can feel some play. You can also visually inspect the rear control arm bushing, and the front bushing the way BobnOH mentioned.
I did forget to mention that I did that test and it was rock solid on the trouble side.

Only thing for it is to get it up in the air high as you can, use a large lever and pry against the various components. You should find some slop somewhere. Just today there was a thread from gearheadgrrl Older TDI in the rust belt? Check your front suspension control arms!
Rust Never Sleeps- N. Young
That's a good idea. I have not tested them but when my car went into inspection the guy said i needed a new LCA on the passenger side. Already have new ones for each side and going to do that tomorrow morning. Maybe when the LCA is off I will find the problem. It very well could be the LCA as it sounded like a large metal to metal clunk.

Thanks for gearheadgrrrl's post. Good news is my TDI is rather rust free underneath. I did have the typical rusty fender but replaced with a new one. I missed the TSB unfortunately.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Check the rear bushing on the lower control arms - it was probably going out anyways and that pot hole ripped the last bit of whatever rubber connection you had left.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I just had a similar problem with my 2003 Jetta Wagon. Everything looked good with the wheel off so I decided to try swapping out the strut assembly to see if it was the strut bearing. I was surprised to find out the plate on the control arm that the sway bar bolts to had the welds break. The control arm was only 3 1/2 years old. I have a new control arm on the way from ID Parts. Someone must have been bad at welding.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Are all the various front and rear control arm bushings good? Strut bearings in decent shape? Anti-roll bar links. Wheel bearings? Your front or rear subframe moving? Maybe one of your springs are making noise under load like it's binding and then banging free. Possible something internally let loose in the strut.

VWMatt

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
SOLVED!
Thank you to all who helped!

Check the rear bushing on the lower control arms - it was probably going out anyways and that pot hole ripped the last bit of whatever rubber connection you had left.
03TDICommuter nailed it to the tee!

Found and solved the problem. It was the rear bushing of the driver side lower control arm that was hitting. I inspected it closer and there was a giant crack that could be manipulated with a pry bar and then when it was off a socket extension.

There was also clear indication it was hitting something on the sub-frame.

New LCA (which I had) installed and no more banging and no shimmy in the wheel anymore. Also checked the CV and joints, sway bar and link as well as the tie rod. All look good. I am 2 months until inspection so may do the other side this weekend when warmer (Pennsylvania ~30 F) and schedule the inspect.

Pictures...

Driver Side Front Back Lower Control Arm Bushing

* You can clearly see the ding in the bottom metal of the LCA; which is not like that on the passenger side that doesnt have the banging/thudding noise when turning *

Passenger Side Front Back Lower Control Arm Bushing
** During inspection on 02/2021 mechanic said it needed to be replaced; never mentioned driver side where my issue is due to pot hole **

Driver Side Front Back Bushing on LCA (after removal)

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
LCA’s from my daughters beetle when she first got it. The front wheels moved forward and backward about an inch whenever the car moved.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The whole front end was all over the place. The previous owner said it had been moving and clunking for about a year, I think he just got tired of putting money into the car. I suspect he was hosed every time he took the car to get fixed. You can see how the bolt was starting to wallow the hole out, both sides were nearly identical.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I remember helping a friend with his car back in the 70s. Jacked up the front wheel, it literrally fell off horizontally. The upper control arm had rusted and broke. He was still driving it!.