**SOLD** WTS project 2001 ALH Manual Jetta wagon, Boise Idaho **SOLD**

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Edit:
The car has been sold, and left for it's new home on Saturday the 26th.
Thankyou all for your interest.

As the title says, my sister and brother in law are looking to sell their car after a local shop took them for a ride after a failed timing belt change.

The history (as I understand it) is that the shop changed the belt, but either used a faulty tensioner or improperly installed the tensioner.
When the tensioner failed shortly after the timing belt change, the engine skipped timing and ate a valve on cylinder 3. Lots of denial, but they tore the engine partially apart, before quoting a large bill to repair things.

At this point in time, the car is sitting at their house, with a potentially repairable engine, and a good 5 speed.
I know that there is some body damage in the left rear where my brother in law had backed into something and broken the tail light and creased the fender, but don't know what that might entail.

The car is white, with black leather interior.

Clean title in their hands, just need the parking space back and they're not mechanically inclined enough to want to repair or replace the engine themselves.

EDIT: Multiple pictures all added to my album.
Mileage is ~225-230k miles, but they don't have the exact number due to the battery being disconnected currently, and not wanting to reconnect it for fear of potential shorts with the engine half disassembled.

Engine bay pic

Body damage pictures posted.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Damn I wish this was closer 😕…..

joelbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GLS Wagon, 5 Spd, Sold-2002 Jetta Sedan auto, 2003 GLS Wagon auto project
Where's the head?

The box in the back seat looks like it has the valve cover and a manifold, but it doesn't look heavy enough to have the head in it.

Just curiosity after looking at all of the photos. Too far away for me, which is probably a good thing.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I believe the head was sitting in the rear foot well when I was visiting, but can't swear to that.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Keep your eyes open, you should be able to locate one closer to you.
You might check if the salvage yard tracking site Row52.com has any yards in your area that they monitor.