Sold my TDI

TAK1973

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Hello all. Just wanted to say thanks to the creators of this site for providing a great information source. I sold my TDI yesterday in exhange for something a little more reliable.

My Jetta had been in the shop 11 times in the 1.5 years of ownership. Everything from CV joints to the sunroof has been replaced. The last straw was the airbag light coming on for the 4th time, requiring another 2 days in the shop. Also, the high cost of regular maintenance and the potential DSG problems had me a little nervous. (My TDI had a build date of 12/05) I love the diesel economy, but will not own another VW. The customer service is just not there...

Good luck to all. Truly, this is a great site, and I thank everyone for the advice/help you have given me.

PS: I have an automatic euroswitch and a relatively new Scangauge II for sale; if anyone is interested, PM me. I will continue to check this site for another week or so.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Tak, many have said that buying a VW is like buying a new car without any warranty?

What are you graduating to?

Good luck.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry the TDI did not work out for you. It has been very reliable for me so far (knock on wood). 70K miles and the only real problem I had was the DSG failure a few days after I drove it off the lot. Other than that, it has been just regular maintenance.
Bad luck, in my opinion is just bad luck when it comes to cars, no matter whether it is a Rolls Royce or a Mercedes Benz or a Jetta TDI.

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Hey TAK1973, Best of luck to ya.

Question: If VWoA's relationship with you, a customer, were better, would you have kept the MY06 Jetta TDI?

Hey VWoA, are you listening? Customer rapport, Duh?
You just lost TAK1973 as a customer and I'm not far behind. Our own service experience w/ Jim Ellis VW and Gossett VW here in Atlanta, GA stinks; unresolved, inoperable navigation system.

Last edited:

TAK1973

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
dieseldorf,
My commute has recently been shortened, and I was able to get exactly what I owed on my Jetta trade-in. I found an 07 Grand Prix GT with 9000 miles on it for 16,500. Not near the economy, but twice the fun! (100,000 mile warranty, and pretty good reliability)

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
Complaining to VWofA

At ... http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3761/507_00_certificatlion.pdf
... I've posted a PDF file of a recent exchange I had, regarding 507.00 oil, with a VW person that ... appears .... to be in the USA.

Reason for referencing this is her email address. If members that have the problems under this discussion would inundate VW with complaints, 'perhaps' it would get their attention.

So far I've not read any postings herein where a VW representative was present; and that's a sad state of affairs.

Another suggestion ... to to the VW website and enmasse mail complaints to whover's email address you can find. In my usage, I've been using the stockholder department's address.... under the premise that if they, as representative link to stockholders, get wind of mass discontent, then, again, 'perhaps' they will get the message to the appropriate 'big wig'. After all, if the stock suffers, the stockholders will come unglued.
IMO

1998993C2S said:
Hey TAK1973, Best of luck to ya.

Question: If VWoA's relationship with you, a customer, were better, would you have kept the MY06 Jetta TDI?

Hey VWoA, are you listening? Customer rapport, Duh?
You just lost TAK1973 as a customer and I'm not far behind. Our own service experience w/ Jim Ellis VW and Gossett VW here in Atlanta, GA stinks; unresolved, inoperable navigation system.

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
TAK1973 said:
Hello all. Just wanted to say thanks to the creators of this site for providing a great information source. I sold my TDI yesterday in exhange for something a little more reliable.

My Jetta had been in the shop 11 times in the 1.5 years of ownership. Everything from CV joints to the sunroof has been replaced. The last straw was the airbag light coming on for the 4th time, requiring another 2 days in the shop. Also, the high cost of regular maintenance and the potential DSG problems had me a little nervous. (My TDI had a build date of 12/05) I love the diesel economy, but will not own another VW. The customer service is just not there...

Good luck to all. Truly, this is a great site, and I thank everyone for the advice/help you have given me.

PS: I have an automatic euroswitch and a relatively new Scangauge II for sale; if anyone is interested, PM me. I will continue to check this site for another week or so.
Good luck. I hope my car lasts longer than my patience. VW spent all that money on the Phaeton, instead they should have spent the money on improving the quality of it's existing cars.

TAK1973

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Just for everyone's information, here's the problems I had with my car:
  • Replace rattling sunroof & frame
  • Replace LF axle shaft (Oedeker clamp came loose)
  • Replace both cooling fans
  • Replace driver's seat frame (I only weigh 185)
  • Repaint chipping front bumper
  • Replace back seat armrest
  • Sunroof leaks though driver's visor mounting screws
  • Replace driver's lumbar mechanism
  • Multiple airbag wiring harnesses (4)
  • Reoccurring unexplainable dead battery
  • Numerous squeaks & rattles
  • Dealer put wrong oil in car
  • lifetime MPG: 36 (90% highway driving @ 70 MPH)
Not all of these are major issues, but when you factor in the cost of:
  • expensive oil changes
  • expensive fuel filters
  • very expensive transmission services
  • extremely expensive timing belt maintenance
  • possibility of flywheel issues once the warranty expires
--it just was not worth it to me to keep the car. Great fuel economy is only worth so much...

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
best jetta 2006

as of today this car has been to dealer for 2 problems and has 50,000 miles great car i thiink iwill drive this one for another 150,000 before i get a new one . the car has a dsg and no problems and i have not serviced the dsg yet i am a little bit afraid to at this time every dealer i talk to has not peformed a dsg service yet and you no the old saying if aint broke dont touch it also i do not take my car to the dealer i have a private mech. do all my mant. oil ect

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
oil changes / are cheap / for me

:D If anythig the oil change is the least expensive for these cars if you are going to a dealer STOP and find your self a private mec. i order all the parts from www.worldimpex.com you can buy a oil service kit witch comes with oil a filter and a new plug for 46.50 then i have it ship to my bussiness take a few day . take to my friend at a service station charges me 15.00 dollars ready for the next 10,000 miles no dealer for me also i change my fuel filter every 10,000 miles and i do this my self this is a no brainer takes a whole 10 min you can by the screw driver at any hardware store i have found 15.000 miles is to long for this filters .

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
services for the tdi jetta

STOP TAKEING YOUR CARS TO THE DEALER FOR THE SERVICES YOU CAN DO THEM YOUR SELF BUY YOR PARTS FROM WWW.WORLDIMPEX.COM

20K SERVICE 94.29
40K SERVICE 112.16

LOOK AT YOUR BOOK AND THE VW WED SITE MOST OF THE TDI SERVICE IS NOTHING MORE THAN OIL AND FUEL FILTERS AT THIS SERVICE INTERVAL AND THE OTHERS STUFF IS VISUALS THESE CARS ARE THE LOWEST MAINTENANCE CARS YOU CAN EVER OWN THE DEALERS ARETHE ONES MAKEING THESE CARS HIGH MAINTENANCE . THE ONLY SERVICE MY DEALER IS GOING TO DO FOR ME IS MY DSG OIL FILTER CHANGE ;) / TIMEING BELT . WHEN NEEDED .

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Tak1973 What Did You Trade For ?

I SORRY YOU HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH YOR VW BUT LIKE YOU SAID VERY MINOR YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY NOT HAD VERY MANY EUROPEAN CARS ALL I CAN DONT EVER BUY LANDROVER / JAG / BMW BECAUSE THIS CARS ARE VERY HIGH MAINTENANCE. :eek:

Baycop

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI/DSG, Campanella White w/Anthracite interior, Pkg 0, Factory Spoiler, Protection Pkg, Sirius
What are your dealers charging for oil changes ? I take mine to Clear Lake VW who charges $69.99, but the car came with and they always are sending me $10 off coupons, so it's $59.99. They also give me a tag they stamp, so the 5th oil change is free, so average price is $47.99 (+tt&l).
Thats only $1.49 more than the parts tdiman is referring to???

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
Our fuel door flap is messed up. That is the only 'problem" we've had with the car is 24,000 miles.
I do oil changes my self with a world impex kit.

Our 2000 Beetle had the usual window regulator problem(common to that era) fixed by VW at 70,000 miles for free. OTher than that it has the original brake pads and I had the timing belt changed out by a TDI mechanic for $250.00 plus TDI-geek parts.

The Beetle averages 42 mpg and our Jetta averages 41.

laredo7mm

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Baycop said:
What are your dealers charging for oil changes ? I take mine to Clear Lake VW who charges $69.99, but the car came with and they always are sending me $10 off coupons, so it's $59.99. They also give me a tag they stamp, so the 5th oil change is free, so average price is $47.99 (+tt&l).
Thats only $1.49 more than the parts tdiman is referring to???
The dealer I bought the car from charges me $49.99 for the oil and oil filter change. No reason to do it myself at that price. I can always pull the belly pan and look around at my own convenience.

Now my 2004 F250 diesel, that was a different story. 15 quarts of dyno every 5000 miles, made sense for me to change it myself.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
Sorry to hear you've had so many problems with your car. In 37,000 miles all I've had go wrong are three inexplicable flat tires (damn Contis!) and a bunch of loose fuses (which has me worried). Other than that, nothing has gone wrong.

Wish you the best.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I to have had my share of rattle issues. I finally found one dealership that is better than my last but, they are not thorough, work is sloppy. I picked the car up today and found the dash loose around the headlight switch they repaced two weeks ago. It went back yesterday as they recently repaced the climate control knobs due to the text rubbing off. After the "repair", very little A/C was coming out of the center vent and it did not make any difference if I engaged the knob for the center dash top vent or not. I was to tired and fed up to turn around and go back that night and brought it back yesterday evening. Anyway, they finally figured out it was a wire connector. I'm sure the mechanic caused this one. With 41000 miles on it, I love it but hate the service. And, now the center dash rattle is back with a vengence so I'll have to go back again.

I may soon offer my well maintained 05.5 with DSG up for sale. Maybe the hated (by TDI owners)Prius will be next. I am just afraid of maint. costs down the road with all the electronics and electric motors on them.

Of course, I could purchase the manual and take things apart myself. I am handy but not sure I want a lifelong job!

VW really needs to get their crap together! They could have a world class car if not for the BS they put us through with shoddy construction and plastic interiors that rattle and buzz.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I'm a little over 49K and the only actual mechanical problem the car has had was a $22 fuel temp sensor that I replaced myself. I had the valve cover gasket replaced under warranty but it was actually my fault (I didn't tell the dealer that though.) Just cost me a drive there and back. I put two tires on at 42K but that's maintenance. Surprisingly, the brakes are hanging in there and seem to have some life left.

unixgolf

TAK1973 said:
Just for everyone's information, here's the problems I had with my car:
  • Replace rattling sunroof & frame
  • Replace LF axle shaft (Oedeker clamp came loose)
  • Replace both cooling fans
  • Replace driver's seat frame (I only weigh 185)
  • Repaint chipping front bumper
  • Replace back seat armrest
  • Sunroof leaks though driver's visor mounting screws
  • Replace driver's lumbar mechanism
  • Multiple airbag wiring harnesses (4)
  • Reoccurring unexplainable dead battery
  • Numerous squeaks & rattles
  • Dealer put wrong oil in car
  • lifetime MPG: 36 (90% highway driving @ 70 MPH)
Not all of these are major issues, but when you factor in the cost of:
  • expensive oil changes
  • expensive fuel filters
  • very expensive transmission services
  • extremely expensive timing belt maintenance
  • possibility of flywheel issues once the warranty expires
--it just was not worth it to me to keep the car. Great fuel economy is only worth so much...
Tak, I had done the same, for me I had:

Check engine :: Glow spark connectors replaced and it never came back.
Buzing speaker front left :: VW fixed it and noticed a broken clip at the door level, replaced.
Radio (CD's got stocked and the unit was replaced)
Everything is smooth now for me.

huffapuff

TDI
06' Jetta
I am new to these TDI's and I have a question. What does a Scangauge do and can it be used on other vehicles besides just my 06' TDI Jetta??

I just did some reading on these Scanners and they sound like a nice outfit. Sounds to be worth their money.

Last edited:

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Loyal to a fault with these VW's sometimes...

...but is there anything that has the fit, finish, and sound isolation of a TDI along with fuel economy? I am seriously asking because I'm at a little bit of a crossroads with VW's myself.

I tried to drive a Mazda 3 and it just wasn't there. The car was, dare I say, a little too Japanese. Hyundai Sonata wasn't anywhere close. These cars aren't quite in a comparable class but they're all I've tried so far.

Everytime my car goes into the shop, I drop around $300... it's frustrating!

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I have noticed a lot of VW is luck. I have had it so far, others have not. Any car will have issues, but it's hard to tell if the grass is greener in another car.

rarmstrong

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
tdiman said:
STOP TAKEING YOUR CARS TO THE DEALER FOR THE SERVICES YOU CAN DO THEM YOUR SELF BUY YOR PARTS FROM WWW.WORLDIMPEX.COM

20K SERVICE 94.29
40K SERVICE 112.16

LOOK AT YOUR BOOK AND THE VW WED SITE MOST OF THE TDI SERVICE IS NOTHING MORE THAN OIL AND FUEL FILTERS AT THIS SERVICE INTERVAL AND THE OTHERS STUFF IS VISUALS THESE CARS ARE THE LOWEST MAINTENANCE CARS YOU CAN EVER OWN THE DEALERS ARETHE ONES MAKEING THESE CARS HIGH MAINTENANCE . THE ONLY SERVICE MY DEALER IS GOING TO DO FOR ME IS MY DSG OIL FILTER CHANGE ;) / TIMEING BELT . WHEN NEEDED .

How much is the 80k service bundle? Do you have a list of what it includes?
Thanks!

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
Happy Days

V.W's Happy days have come to an end. With the japs now competing in north america and many other manufacturers coming also, I will be dumping my 2006.5 tdi for a infinity tdi or acura tdi or lexus tdi or bmw tdi or? well you get the idea. I have bought a brand new tdi every year since 2000, I love um, well thats all I had to choose from, not no more!! Say by by to these piece's of $hit vw tdi's and the total failure of v.w's dealer network.

A free bump for reality

Last edited:

buckeye96

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta ?
Yep. I have to say that I have not had any big/major issues with my VW but the small problems are annoying. I am happy to have the TDI, but if Subaru puts out a better product I will be going back to them. I am actually excited about a diesel boxer.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
clark246810 said:
V.W's Happy days have come to an end. With the japs now competing in north america and many other manufacturers coming also, I will be dumping my 2006.5 tdi for a infinity tdi or acura tdi or lexus tdi or bmw tdi or? well you get the idea. I have bought a brand new tdi every year since 2000, I love um, well thats all I had to choose from, not no more!! Say by by to these piece's of $hit vw tdi's and the total failure of v.w's dealer network.

A free bump for reality
I gotta agree, Some Volkswagen dealers treat you like crap, and charge an arm and a leg for repairs that probably BMW or Volvo would do as a courtesy, for example -Diagnosis Test, When I had my BMW 318i, the guys down at Sauga BMW hooked me up, but Volkswagen dealers have a problem. I like Volkswagen and all but the little electrical problems bug me. I wish BMW brings the 320TD to Canada. I will be the first one buying it, and whats with Volkswagen building the Jetta down in Mexico? The workmenship shows !

Last edited: