SOLD - 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE Manual - No Phase 2 Mod

EdVWTDI

TDI
2015 GSW, 2015 Passat
Background
I purchased this vehicle in 2017. As stated in my first (and only other) post, this forum was such an incredible resource when purchasing this car, and I hope it finds a home here. The car has only been partially "fixed" - it only received Phase 1 of the diesel mod.

CAR DETAILS
Year - 2015
Model - Golf Sportwagen TDI
Trim - SE
Transmission - Manual
Miles - 84,000 (83,300 at the time of this writing)
VIN - 3VWFA7AU4FM513904

Color (exterior / interior) - Black / Titan Black

Packages
Lighting - Bi-xenon headlights, ambient etc.
Audio - Fender

The car is a "standard" 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI - SE (with lighting package). Typical specs can be found here:

DIESEL MODIFICAITON(S)
Phase 1 - previous owner entered into the buyback program (as estimated by Carfax report) on May 2017. Burnsville VW (which subsequently recieved the vehicle to sell) initiated the Phase 1 modification on July 5, 2017.

Phase 2 was never completed. Phase 2 only became available after the car had been purchased (10/23/2017), and to date, I have opted NOT to have this completed.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION

The Good
  • underwent the first dieselgate mod, but not the second
  • all maintenance/ oil changes, etc. have been performed by VW
  • garage stored, never smoked in, etc.
  • performance - I don't notice any difference (feel, mpg, etc.) between the way it runs now, and the day I purchased it - its great!
The Could Be Better
  • back windshield replacement - windshield was smashed while the car was parked at a concert (May 2019). I still don't know what happened to this day. The replacement was installed by VW
  • sunroof leak and replacement - no problems since being replaced (71k - June 2021), but the replacement was costly (and not covered under warranty). I was told that it was due to improper maintenance of the drains, but I thought this was BS - this is a known issue, and should have been covered. The leak was noticed in the top portion of the driver's side (darkened cloth). The drains were inspected for blockage and cleaned by VW. The problem was noticed again a couple weeks later, and subsequently fixed.
The Bad
  • minor dents /scratches - these are few, but most noticeable on the rear bumper. For any perfectionists, I am sure there are others.
  • Driver side door is missing the plastic key cap
  • floor mat - I can't find one of the TDI floor mats (drivers side)
  • tire bulge - front drivers side tire - I have a new(-ish) tire that can be used as replacement, but it has yet to be installed.
  • some plastic fins of the AC/heater vent (rear seat) are partially broken

The Ugly
  • I don't think anything falls into this category.

PHOTOS
Photos should be accessible here: Photo_File_Share
This link contains a pdf file with the photos included.

PRICE - Any reasonable offer will be considered
KBB lists the car at $17,140 (high end $18,130).... this amount does not account for the unfixed TDI mod, or lighting package.
To me, the $17k KBB value seems "ballpark" fair given the balance between the (could be better) vehicle history, etc.... but, I would prefer
  • the car goes to someone who wants the (unfixed) TDI
  • we can work out a deal relatively quickly.
If you can fill these two "criteria," I am confident we can work something out.

COMMUNICATION
Please feel free to reply in the thread below... or send a DM or email (edtwentythree at gmail dot com) with any questions you may have.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So it has been "fixed". That is what phase 1 is. Phase 2 is just an unnecessary goodwill replacement of a part with a new identical part regardless of its functionality.

EdVWTDI

TDI
2015 GSW, 2015 Passat
Thank you for this, oilhammer.

I was referring to the complete fix - Phase 2 specifically, as this seemed to be the one that modified performance.
Admittedly, it has been a long time since I have looked at this, but my understanding was that Phase 2 affected functionality, and that Phase 1 had little to do with any variation.

I have updated the post title accordingly so as not to be misleading, changing "unfixed" to "Phase 1 mod only"

Thank you again for this.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
And keep in mind, Phase 2 is actually a recall item as well, and it gets you a new DPF

oilhammer

TDI
Phase 2 is nothing, it just replaces something just to replace it, regardless of any need. It may as well mean putting a new set of tail lamps in the car.

Phase 1 was what actually "changed" something. They changed the software and added the rear NOx sensor.

It was just a way to kick a can further down the road. The ECU is always monitoring the DPF's performance. If the car actually needed a new DPF, it would tell you. I have yet to see a single CRUA or CVCA engine that actually needed one. They (EPA/VAG) agreed to replace this part with a new one "just because" and send it on its way. So yeah, Phase 2 gets you a new [expensive] part, that you probably don't even need, and gets it installed by techs who are being paid 50-70% of the actual labor and is very likely to result in poor workmanship, missing fasteners, etc. same as we've seen repeatedly with this kind of thing over the years. The BEW's missing EGR cooler bracket comes to mind, same scenario.

The DPF/catalyst module replacement is a BIG job on the CRUA/CVCA engine. 7.3hr book time. And Volkswagen is only paying the techs 6.6hr and also having them do a readiness set and OBD printout and software verification, which they get paid 0.0hr for.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So yeah, Phase 2 gets you a new [expensive] part, that you probably don't even need, and gets it installed by techs who are being paid 50-70% of the actual labor and is very likely to result in poor workmanship, missing fasteners, etc. same as we've seen repeatedly with this kind of thing over the years. The BEW's missing EGR cooler bracket comes to mind, same scenario.
This is why my cars NEVER go to the dealer, even when under warranty. But in this car's case not having Phase 2 completed sounds like a good thing.

oilhammer

TDI
I just sent a guy back to the dealer after a warranty DPF replacement on a CJAA that the tech left the upper bracket off of the car. Those guys hate me.

I have to keep the early EA888 engines' intake support and related hardware on the shelf here because so many of the dealer techs left those off during the intake manifold replacement extended warranty. Ridiculous.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I won't disagree with anything OH said about the possible problems in having a dealer complete Ph2a/b, but from a marketplace perspective (buyer or seller), it is preferable that only Ph1 has been completed, since the emissions warranty extends 5ys/60k miles from the date of Ph2 being completed. Some members here with a manual transmission CRUA car like the OPs, have voiced their intention to have Ph2 completed as they near the end of the initial 11yr/162mi emissions warranty, which possibly provides a total of 16 yrs from the in-service date. If you are a buyer who values the emissions warranty coverage, this is a strong selling point. For those who simply don't want anything past the Ph1 mod, this gives them the option. Also, from memory, I think the 2nd NOx sensor was Ph2 not Ph1, which was software only.

Free bump for the OP. GLWS.

oilhammer

TDI
I have the Gen 3 Phase 2B document right in front of me, they just replace the "emission control module" which is the big DPF/catalyst chunk bolted to the back side of the engine. That's it. The other stuff was already done... and they cannot do the 2B if the car has not had the 2A. The underhood tag has the info on what has already been done. I know it seems confusing, but I have yet to see any CRUA or CVCA that has not had the 2A already done.

There is also a minimum mileage thing for 2B, as they won't swap the DPF assembly unless it has already passed a certain number of miles since 2A.

Yes, the emissions warranty is a big thing for some people. It is a cruel joke to me and lots of others. Because it is riddled with dealer level nonsense, although the 2015 cars don't seem to be nearly as troublesome. But the boomerangapalooza that goes on with the CJAA and CKRA cars can be so awful that the owners end up parting ways with the car. Or just "fixing" it themselves.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Nice sounding car but it has two major items that takes it out of my contention. I won't own a black car in the South and I won't own another car with a sunroof. Good luck on the sale.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have the Gen 3 Phase 2B document right in front of me, they just replace the "emission control module" which is the big DPF/catalyst chunk bolted to the back side of the engine. That's it. The other stuff was already done... and they cannot do the 2B if the car has not had the 2A. The underhood tag has the info on what has already been done. I know it seems confusing, but I have yet to see any CRUA or CVCA that has not had the 2A already done.

There is also a minimum mileage thing for 2B, as they won't swap the DPF assembly unless it has already passed a certain number of miles since 2A.

Yes, the emissions warranty is a big thing for some people. It is a cruel joke to me and lots of others. Because it is riddled with dealer level nonsense, although the 2015 cars don't seem to be nearly as troublesome. But the boomerangapalooza that goes on with the CJAA and CKRA cars can be so awful that the owners end up parting ways with the car. Or just "fixing" it themselves.
We have one CRUA with Ph1 only, and one CRUA with Ph1 & Ph2 complete. The 2015 with Ph2a/b done had 2b done (brand new DPF!) at 12k miles. Yup, 12k. After speaking with various dealer techs between 2017 and 2018 (and some service managers) few seem to have a clue regarding the what was supposed to replaced and when (at least on this coast, they may be more knowledgeable elsewhere, or now that time has passed). (Yes, B, I can hear you snickering!). Agree that 2a has to proceed 2b, and mileage should be the factor, but service departments seem to be all over the place. Obviously you see more cars than I do, but (her) CRUA definitely has only Ph1 done. It hasn't been to the dealer since she bought it as a stop-sale. As an aside, she test drove it both before and after the Ph1 mod, about three days apart, with maybe 12 miles on the Odo. She thought it was a bit peppier and smoother response after the mod, and the "break-in" trip returned 45mpg on rural road meandering through Vermont.

I agree to an extent on the E warranty, but given how much it covers, it still has tremendous value. When I'm out of warranty, I'll likely make to the trip to car-doc.

EdVWTDI

TDI
2015 GSW, 2015 Passat
Thanks for the extended discussion on this - even its waning moments of TDI ownership (for now), the forum never disappoints..., and its all very much appreciated.

Update on the sale:
Drum up the Darth Vader theme....

I took an offer from "Carbana" for $18,500

I don't think I had proper process time to process before my wife made me push buttons faster than Anakin.... "other" offers (online dealers) were $13k tops.

Besides the uncertain (somewhat sinking) feeling that it will get lost somewhere in the fray, I am content.

Regardless, thanks again for the extended discussion on this.......... can't express how much I appreciate it..., and this forum in general 🙏

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
WOW! Carvana must be hurting for cars or something?

I decided to put my 15 GSW(manual 98K miles) into their system and I would make $1,000 more than I paid for it earlier this year. I do want a Sportwagen 4Motion with AWD so maybe ill go this route. Thanks for the encouragement!

Shaniqua

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
Anything I should know about this car (besides the open recall) before its delivered saturday from Carvana? only thing i dislike are the seat bottoms (not a fan of the lower trim) but the car looks good.

Any crazy maintenance been done?

:ROFLMAO:

schwinn guy

TDI
2001 Golf GL 5 speed
Shaniqua....what happened??
I see the car you bought listed back on Carvana's website with almost the same mileage but now for $20,990!
Did you return it to them? How did the return process work? Me and I'm sure others would be interested to know.
Thanks

Shaniqua

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
Shaniqua....what happened??
I see the car you bought listed back on Carvana's website with almost the same mileage but now for $20,990!
Did you return it to them? How did the return process work? Me and I'm sure others would be interested to know.
Thanks

OH BUDDY its been an ordeal.

long story short, they damaged the door handle in ohio (im in florida) and with keyless, they got a different handle from the dealer, but backorder supply chain yada yada.. car is set to be here sunday.

I got a 2012 Jetta with anthracite interior, not black, so i returned it on the 19th of november and was supposed to get the golf on the 28th, it got delayed until the 6th, and then the 29th. when it got delayed after the 6th i started pushing for answers, had to pry out of them that it was damaged, waiting on parts. so i have the 2012 jetta until then (free rental from carvana basically) until the slave cylinder goes out in the jetta! low and behold though, i dont have a contract for that car to have silver rock fix it (contract was cancelled when i switched to the 2015) so i had to get a flubbed contract to get the old one fixed and approved for a rental, but at this point its too late, id rather just wait until sunday. Word on the street, part is delivered and car is fixed, its on a scheduled rout to be shipped down here the next 2 days and then be delivered sunday.

I paid 20990+ for it. but since the recall hasnt been done, i will get VW warranty for the engine, fuel system, turbo, exhaust, and emission system for 5 year/60k OR 11 year 160k, whichever is longer (you get that with any 2015 with CRUA engines) when it is performed. I dont mind doing it. once the warranty is up i am going to delete and tune it. and rather have a new DPF system and something to cover the turbo.

If it wasnt the car i wanted, i would have told carvana to **** off, but its a black wagon, manual, black leather, diesel, warranty, HID light package, fender audio, panoramic. it ticks every box i had, so i will wait.

Its not necessarily carvanas fault some idiot ****ed the door handle up and they fixed it. its kind of a dumb weird system they have, and if nothing goes wrong it works, but they sent me a check for troubles, gave me their car as a rental (clutch going out wasnt their fault either)

As much as id like to gripe about carvana, the perfect storm wasnt really anything they did or didnt do. the only thing im upset about is the lady not telling me the issue early december. And the clutch going out would have been fixed under warranty asap if it wasnt a return. all in all its been a very easy process actually and most of the sales reps have been nice.

Purchase in Progress on their website because the car hasnt been delivered and the contract fulfilled on their part. its been that way since i switched to it, and it wont be removed until the car is marked as delivered.

schwinn guy

TDI
2001 Golf GL 5 speed
WOW!
That IS an ordeal.
Good luck and hope it's everything you wanted. I was pretty close to buying this local from the seller who lives pretty close, but I've already owned a black VW ( GTI ) and swore I'd never do that again. Other than the exterior color, it checked all the same boxes for me. I'll keep looking...
Keep us posted how it goes.

Shaniqua

TDI
2015 Sportwagen
As of this morning the car is in lower AL set to be delivered. I'm more active on Vortex but will make a post here once it's delivered, and detailed of course. It's going to the dealer for phase 2, and I'm going to get carvana warranty the clutch right away. Thanks for the good wishes.