Sluggish

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
TDI had a new turbo installed. Ran fine. Then the pump started leaking. Replaced the seals in the pump and stopped the leak but now the car is rather sluggish. Seems like serious turbo lag or the timing is off. Not sure what it might be. I will be looking at the timing with my vagcom but must wait a few days for that. As for the turbo Im not so sure. Its new and the vacuum line is holding vacuum just fine. Not getting and codes and all looks in place. Still runs but just ok. If I wind it up it seems to go a bit but feels like I also have much less throttle. It seems like the power comes on after the pedal is pushed over half way.

Anyone have any ideas what to check? Its been a good car for many years after I replaced the engine/timing belt/chip and intake cleaning and stealth pipe job. My kids have enjoyed the car and got to use it for extended periods when their cars were not operational.

I have some better injector tips but still deciding if I really want them. I have .205's on it right now.

Pete :)

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
When it was resealed, did you (they) set the quantity adjuster back to where it was before the service using VAGCOM? You could be down on fuel if not.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, Checked my IQ. It was like 11.7. Did a hammer mod got it to. 9.2. No change in how the car drives. MAF is fine. Not sure where to go now. It runs but from dead stop it has quite a long hesitation before it begins to wind up. Like before the throttle is beyond half way depressed. Vacuum leak maybe to the turbo or one of the N75 vacuum lines. Just not sure. No adjustments were made when the pump had new seals installed. Hammer mod does not seem like I can get any less than what I have now at 9.2. Is there a way to change the IQ via the vagcom?

Last edited:

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I do have it chipped. An early Malone Tuning removable chip and programmer for that chip. I have to remove the chip to program it.

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
You can do IQ adaptation in VAG COM - but I question why that would or should be necessary after a pump reseal. It should be able to go back to where it was before, presumably without computer adaptation.

Did they take the pump off the car to reseal it on a bench? If so, then your timing could be off like you initially postulated - or, worst case they put it back on wrong or moved the belt and you need to check that the cam, crank, and IP timing alignment is done properly, retension the belt, and do the manual IP timing adjustment - just like the timing belt job requires.

I can't imagine what else would be wrong if that is the only work that was done between car working good/car working bad.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
An IQ of 11+ is way too high. Going to connect it up here real soon and do some more hammer mods to get it down to a respectable level.

No, the pump seals were done with the pump in place.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, once again I dig in deep and get the issue fixed. The turbo was working just fine and the N75 was working properly too. I got the IQ down to 3. Actually between 2.8 and 3.2 is where it ran. Took it out on the road and it just woke up. Woo Hoo, the power is back. No slack and power straight away. Mmmmm. Now to boost the turbo a bit more and put those big nozzles on. :) Maybe another tune from Malone is in order.

Im a happy camper right about now.

kd8cgo

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Sweet! Did you get it all the way there with the hammer mod/moving the QA, or did you do computer adaptation too? Either way, it's awesome to have enough fuel, ain't it? ;)

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
All the way via hammer mod. Small moves and patience will do. Remember when you tighten the pump back up it will move the IQ back up a bit. Make your move to allow for that to happen. Have patience and make tiny moves.

Its just nice to have my power back.