Slow, dragging start ... I need some advice!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? You have a 99.5 so changing out the old black 109 relay for the new grey one is a good idea if it hasn’t been done.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I'll replace the 109. I have not even looked at it yet, so I don't know which one is in the car currently. I'll order one either way. I have not replaced the filter. The PO told me it was replaced, but based on some of what I've come across while getting this car running, anything's questionable. I will say that the filter does not look old, but I understand that means zero about what it might be like on the inside. I actually have a new filter, I just haven't put it in yet. I have had intentions of doing it(naturally), but just haven't yet.

As far as the 'no glow plug light' goes ... that hasn't happened since the time I mentioned it. I thought I updated that in one of my posts, but I can't remember. If I did not, I apologize. I do not know why there was no glow plug light that day, but there was no 'service engine' light either, so there was some odd snaffu going on. Both lights do come on now, and thanks to a missing EGR(with no tune) the 'engine' light stays on and the glow plug light flashes constantly if the car is running due to undetermined reasons. I have checked all bulbs, so I don't know if it is possibly tied to the missing EGR valve or something else. I'm going to order a 'grey' 109 and change the fuel filter for starters.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I would also like to know what any of you might be using for a cam locking plate ... or the ones of you who aren't buying one. I have the 15/64" drill bit to lock the IP, so all I'm lacking is a lock plate for the cam. All I've been able to find, as far as information goes, is that the plate should be approximately .177 thick, and that doesn't translate to any useful fractional thickness, so I'm looking at machining a plate if I can't find a more sensible substitute. What do you all suggest? Does anyone have a plate they want to sell? Thanks for any suggestions.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've set the tensioner with a set of 90 degree needle nose snap ring pliers before. Not easy, but doable. Ended up getting the kerma long reach cam lock and tensioner tool. On another note, I have a plain Jane cam lock tool that is held in place by the valve cover I'd be willing to part with if you need one.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
If you can't find the tools in the for sale forum:
Try https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-tools-c-114_30.html for the lock tools.
The cam gear is a tapered shaft. You need a puller to pop it off. No keyway for it.
The belt tensioned needs a tool to tighten it.
I've been looking at the tools for a while. I just thought I'd offer to buy from someone here who might have done the job and have no need for the tool anymore. There is already a hole in the back of the belt cover that someone used previously to tap the cam pulley off, and I have been planning on doing the same thing. Thanks for the link to the tools!

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I've set the tensioner with a set of 90 degree needle nose snap ring pliers before. Not easy, but doable. Ended up getting the kerma long reach cam lock and tensioner tool. On another note, I have a plain Jane cam lock tool that is held in place by the valve cover I'd be willing to part with if you need one.
Thanks for the info. I already have a cam tensioning tool from another belt job I did previously, but it was on a gasser that didn't require a cam lock, so that's really the only thing I missing. I can order one, but was hoping someone here had one they didn't want/need anymore. I'd rather help a fellow VW guy/gal out if I can. Can you PM me about the cam lock you have? I don't care about fancy, only functionality. Thanks again.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Can you PM me about the cam lock you have? I don't care about fancy, only functionality. Thanks again.
Bought it 10+ years ago, local VW shop & store thats not around any more.:(
Was a lot cheaper back then.
Looks like this:
Was looking for it but didn't find it. :(
I think I read about making one and it had dimensions.
Was a long time ago.
Try a Bing search?

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
Bought it 10+ years ago, local VW shop & store thats not around any more.:(
Was a lot cheaper back then.
Looks like this:
Was looking for it but didn't find it. :(
I think I read about making one and it had dimensions.
Was a long time ago.
Try a Bing search?
Hey. Thanks for the message. I was contacted by another fellow member who had one to spare, so I'm good now. I found several for sale on line, I just wanted to see if anyone here was wanting to get rid of one before I bought a new one somewhere.

mk4mr

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
Yep, my '01 needs it replaced/refurbished also. Cranking speed isn't near what it used to be.
Well, I'm just going to tell you ... I put it off until the very end because of how pricey the Bosch starters are.
I found a remanned starter online by searching the Bosch part #. I only paid $300 for this car, and I still could not make myself by a new Bosch, so I bought the used/remanned one, but here is my reasoning. If the starter only lasts a few months, it will at least confirm whether the starter was the final problem(which it has confirmed already), but there's a chance that it may last a couple of years, or maybe more, who knows? I gave $46 for this starter, and they didn't even ask for a core, so I have my old one to rebuild if it is not too far gone. This is one of those few times where spending less might work out. If the starter dies prematurely, I'll buy a new Bosch because I will at least know then that the car starts properly with a working starter and it's not some other problem.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Well, I'm just going to tell you ... I put it off until the very end because of how pricey the Bosch starters are.
I found a remanned starter online by searching the Bosch part #. I only paid $300 for this car, and I still could not make myself by a new Bosch, so I bought the used/remanned one, but here is my reasoning. If the starter only lasts a few months, it will at least confirm whether the starter was the final problem(which it has confirmed already), but there's a chance that it may last a couple of years, or maybe more, who knows? I gave $46 for this starter, and they didn't even ask for a core, so I have my old one to rebuild if it is not too far gone. This is one of those few times where spending less might work out. If the starter dies prematurely, I'll buy a new Bosch because I will at least know then that the car starts properly with a working starter and it's not some other problem.
A buddy of mine rebuilds starters and alternators for a living. When I took him the Bosch starter from the 2003 he opened it up and showed and explained to me what needed to be done. It had been very, very hot on occasions it seems (no doubt prior 167k miles of other owner(s) who also drove it until the original tensioner seized and broke the TB). Basically it needed to be replaced. He sold me a new (not rebuilt) generic aftermarket that he has had good results with when he can't rebuild a unit and/or doesn't have a core to work with. It comes in a plain box that he can attatchment his label to. I took a chance on it at $99 and kept my Bosch core. So far it's been working great. If/when it dies I still have exchange cores for a new Bosch also.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I bout a new Valeo unit for $120 5 years ago. No trouble yet. It's not Bosch, but they do make many oem parts, so I figured it would be worth trying.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
A buddy of mine rebuilds starters and alternators for a living. When I took him the Bosch starter from the 2003 he opened it up and showed and explained to me what needed to be done. It had been very, very hot on occasions it seems (no doubt prior 167k miles of other owner(s) who also drove it until the original tensioner seized and broke the TB). Basically it needed to be replaced. He sold me a new (not rebuilt) generic aftermarket that he has had good results with when he can't rebuild a unit and/or doesn't have a core to work with. It comes in a plain box that he can attatchment his label to. I took a chance on it at $99 and kept my Bosch core. So far it's been working great. If/when it dies I still have exchange cores for a new Bosch also.
I know that speil... I used to work for a guy who would do that. Those aftermarket new ones may work for a while, but I've seen so many of them go out after only a little while.
The reason he sold the new one to you is probably because he didn't want to do the work to rebuild yours.
There's a reason that when I started my own rebuilding business, I try to get oem parts and would much rather work a little bit more and stand behind my work.
Also why I offer lifetime warranty on the units I do.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I know that speil... I used to work for a guy who would do that. Those aftermarket new ones may work for a while, but I've seen so many of them go out after only a little while.
The reason he sold the new one to you is probably because he didn't want to do the work to rebuild yours.
There's a reason that when I started my own rebuilding business, I try to get oem parts and would much rather work a little bit more and stand behind my work.
Also why I offer lifetime warranty on the units I do.
Nope, you have the reason or motive wrong. I know the guy well. We fish and camp together and he is honest to a fault and isn't afraid of the work. I can go in his shop and use his washer, shot bolster, lathe, press, whatever else when I have a project. I can watch and have a beer while he rebuilds my core. He also knows I wouldn't spend that much on it. My OEM starter would have needed a new armature, bearings, brushes and the labor. For the cost I'm happy with the generic unit. So far (over three years by my recollection) it's doing the job just fine.
He also has a "lifetime" warranty on his rebuilt units and as such his return rate is very low. As a one man show he can't make a living having to replace warranty returns.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Nope, you have the reason or motive wrong. I know the guy well. We fish and camp together and he is honest to a fault and isn't afraid of the work. I can go in his shop and use his washer, shot bolster, lathe, press, whatever else when I have a project. I can watch and have a beer while he rebuilds my core. He also knows I wouldn't spend that much on it. My OEM starter would have needed a new armature, bearings, brushes and the labor. For the cost I'm happy with the generic unit. So far (over three years by my recollection) it's doing the job just fine.
He also has a "lifetime" warranty on his rebuilt units and as such his return rate is very low. As a one man show he can't make a living having to replace warranty returns.
That's good. The guy I worked for was very dishonest, which is part of why I quit working for him. I recall one time a guy brought in a motor that he actually had on the shelf. He sold the guy the new motor, and when the guy asked about what was wrong with his old one, he said it was completely burned up, even though he had never even opened it up. I was in the other room fuming, and I called him on it. Sadly a lot of the rebuilding places have gone to that, which is why it's nice to have a guy like your buddy. Sorry for jumping to conclusions though.