Skoda Fabia - very loose, wandering steering

zander99

TDI
Škoda Fabia vRS 1.9TDI BLT
My Skoda Fabia has had really loose wandering steering, and its dangerous to drive because of how much play there is in the steering. The outside of the tires are destroyed after only 500 miles!

There is a constant hum from the left wheel, and when turning clicking (so guessing CV Joints need replacing too)

I've replaced the wishbones, control arms and ARB links both sides so far.

Ive attached a video where I lifted the car, and moved the wheel from left to right.

zander99

TDI
Have you checked the wheel bearing
There is no ABS code, and there is no play between 12-6, only the 1" of play like in the video at 3-9. So my understanding is it cannot (?) be wheel bearing? The hum I hear sounds more like the tyre, as it is practically pointed sideways due to the play in the wheel.

The MOT/inspection a year and a half ago mentions, but my 2 recent inspections haven't noted this.
• Nearside (the left side) Front Track rod end ball joint has slight play

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
The humming could be the tire. Could also the bearing in my opinion. Have you checked inner tie rod. Barely any movement at it would could certainly translate to a lot at the tire.

zander99

TDI
The humming could be the tire. Could also the bearing in my opinion. Have you checked inner tie rod. Barely any movement at it would could certainly translate to a lot at the tire.
Thanks for your help! Well the weird part is when I hold the tie rods I can't get any movement. I also cant get movement trying to move it by holding the brake disk.
I've also found the dust cover on the inner tie rod is loose. So I'll order new tie rods and give it a go, and see if theres any difference

zander99

TDI
Keep us posted
Incredibly an alignment has fixed it, it feels like a new car... Thats the biggest difference $35 has ever made :LOL: still need to replace a few bits but this is a good start