skid plate install

MrMetal

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's actually a pretty easy install... one thing though, do yourself a favor and order extra rivnuts! Those things are an amazing pain in the ass to install... BUT, here is a trick. Go pick up some... hrm... not sure what to call them... self-locking washers? Not the kind that's just cut in one side and slightly offset, that won't do... you want the ones that looks like a star, with a bunch of small, sharp, twisted ends on the inside (or outside) of the washer... now, place one of those between the T-bracket and the rivnut, and then thread the screw through... now when you lift the assembly into the frame to expand the rivnut, the spiky washer will prevent it from twisting! It works like a charm, as long as you keep pressure on the bracket to make sure that the rivnut mushrooms INSIDE the frame, not partially out or totally on the wrong side (heh... yeah, I had both happen). Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, MrMetal, I posted that tip in this thread. They're called "internal tooth lock washers" and you'll want 3/8 inch size. Get 7. You could do it with just 1, but then you'd have to unscrew the bolt and move the washer to each time.

Just push on the metal part you're fastening to get good pressure for the washer teeth to grip. If you've got in impact wrench, air or electric, it makes it much easier than trying to install with a manual wrench.

The Kid

Veteran Member
ok, just curious but does this steel skid plate replace the factory belly pan? If so, how much does the skid plate run.... the PO decided to take off the belly pan for whatever reason, so I dont have anyhting at all under that aluminum oil pan.

PWM

Veteran Member
My tip :

Take a flat metal bar (thick sheet) and drill a hole for the bolt.
Lube the rivnut and bolt threads - But not the metal bar nor rivnut flange area.
Now use the metal bar as a handle when tightening the bolt / rivnut.
(In between the bolt and rivnut
)

The friction between the rivnut and bar is higher than in lubed threads = Does not slip & spin

So intall first only those rivnuts ...

brakes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI (sold), 2005 Passat TDI
anyone in the nj,pa, md, de area, install a steel upgrade that might wanna lend a hand to a newbie with limited tools. I am ASE certified and somewhat mechanically inclined, so it wouldnt be a "here/thanks/cya" I am willing to help just seems like a difficult task for one person...

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
Brakes...

You can check this article as well...it's a full "how to" I wrote.

Also, where in MD are you? I might be willing to help if you're not too far...or you could come down my way (Calvert Co).

oops, sorry, I read that a bit further...I see you're in Philly!!!

Mikey

[ August 08, 2002, 04:55: Message edited by: mikeyworks ]

brakes

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the tips/pdfs and stuff

Oh i would definitely travel to wherever to get the help, heck i drive 50k a year whats a couple a hundred, but im gonna give it a shot, seems the toughest part is the rivnuts and the starwasher seems to solve that.

ive read the thread and the helpers a few times, the dubject of side skirts never seemed to resolve itself, should i get the matching ones or just cut the current ones?

Heinz57

Veteran Member
What skid plate is this ??? Can you show me some pics ??? How much and how hard are they to install?? Just added a post about a GB in the for sale section but if something already exists just as good why bother.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I used this number for the right side shield 1JO 825 250J,this has the hole in it.I only got that because mine was broken,the left side I used a hole saw.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
heinz, I am really supprised you missed all the talk about the skidplate like 6 months ago. It was all over the place. No matter, now you know. I am still contemplating the install as I live in the land of the car-eating pothole. I really mean you could dissappear in some of these!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
ok, who has a definitave list of part #s for the skid plate install. This would be really helpfull

brakes

Veteran Member
TDI
this is what ive orderd so far...
old, i hear what your sayin about potholes, how about tire debris left behind by truckers and cheap retreads....
corrado tdi
Veteran Member
Member # 3026

posted April 04, 2002 05:38
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the revised list of part numbers and the dieselgeek prices for each:

1J0 018 930B Steel skid plate $170.95
1J0 018 997 Soft sound dampener $82.00
1J0 018 885A Front pedestal supports $24.55 X 2
1J0 018 977 Buffer $1.90 X 3
1J0 018 967 Bracket $5.05 X 3
N 100 704 03 Bolt $1.90 X 7
N 905 333 01 Clamp $.27 X 9
N 908 106 01 Nut $1.80 X 7
N 908 704 01 Bolt $1.90 X 4
N 906 282 01 $3.15 X 2
Total $360.08
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i passed on the sound dampner, im goin to shoot for a firwall material

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I used my original sound dampener,just poke a few holes in it to line up with the holes in the plate and drill one new one.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
i hear what your sayin about potholes, how about tire debris left behind by truckers and cheap retreads....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you said it! In the last 48 hours, 1 truck near me blew a tire and a portion flew off and smaked my winshield at 80 mph! While I was passing another truck, the steel foot on the crank down thing for the trailer came loose at 75 to 80 mph. It hit the pavement, I floored it, and it skidded under the reartrailer tires, shooting up in the air and behind me. Whew! Maybe I should stop driving in the truck lanes of the NJ TPKE!

brakes

Veteran Member
TDI
While I was passing another truck, the steel foot on the crank down thing for the trailer came loose at 75 to 80 mph.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">landing leg handle, and fwiw, the big strips of tread left on the roadways are called, "gators" cause of the way they look i suppose

i like the truck lanes up north once it starts gettin down towards the "come-together' it gets too crowded not to mention crushed roadbed from all the heavy vehicles...

MrMetal

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you call Impex (www.vwparts.com) and tell them you want the factory metal skid plate (might have to mention the part number of the skidplate itself), they will have a list of all of the required hardware. That's what I did, and they sent me a complete package. However, I would recommend getting one or two extra rivnuts... just to be safe. It took me a week to install this mutha, but that's because I had to wait for more rivnuts to come in... lesson learned. Overall, it's awesome, and I highly recommend it!

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Glad to see that a list has been made of the parts needed for this retrofit. Does anyone have the part numbers for the side covers that have the cut-out for the brackets? It seems that there was some question earlier, as to the correct part numbers? I am about ready to order the parts required. Can this job be done with the car on ramps, or is a car lift recommended? Thanks.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
1J0 825 245 F
1J0 825 250 J

$28.05 each from VWPARTS.

I put mine up on Rhino Ramps and did it with no problem.

Don't be surprised if bolts N 906 282 01 are sent as something else. VWPARTS sent different ones (cheaper but didn't change the price). They'll work, just a different length. In fact, you could order (6) N 908 704 01 instead.

[ August 13, 2002, 17:16: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Thanks. I hope to start on this project in a couple of weeks. Now, I have an excuse to get those Rhino ramps.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
The skid plate is a MUST in my opinion (and should be original equipment-instead of that piece of junk, almost useless plastic one). But save yourself 80 bucks and don't get the "soft sound deadener." Mine is very quiet without the sound deadener. IMHO quieter with the steel than with the original plastic (even WITHOUT the sound deadener)..............my $0.02........

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Yes, I am convinced that the steel plate will be a good investment. One night, just at dusk, I was travelling at 60MPH (the limit). Just over the crest of a hill, someone had struck and killed a deer. I could not see it from a distance, and could not avoid it. Fortunately, the plastic pan survived, along with the oil pan. I was very lucky. With a steel pan, there would have been less worry. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Tom