Silicon Valley Dyno GTG

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
If anyone else got chipped by Will at emotiongarage (in Santa Clara)...he mentioned that a friend of his will dyno 3 folks together for $50 total. This comes to about $17/person, which is better than paying $50 yourself. I was just curious to see how much of a difference the chipping made, all concerns about the accuracy of dynometers aside.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll contact him to arrange the first round of folks. Since I'll be in this first round, I'll need 2 others to join me, and we can set a date that works for everyone. I'm available for the next 10 days for this.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
I want to see my car on the dyno as well .... I guess he will need to run 6 cars for 100$ at the end

peter

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Good luck with the dyno runs!! if it is a Dynojet dyno, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure you get your runs on diskette.. You won't be able to get RPM readings but I can generate the torque from the HP/MPH reading with a little help from you all...

I'll be happy to do this for you all if you get on the dyno! Just let me know!

Gary M

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Thanks Gary! ...... anything I should know about on doing the dyno the right way? ..... Some people say they dyno on 3-rd gear, some on 4-th, some on 5-th? .... Shall I open the engine compartment or shall I blow some air to simulate real life hwy run? ..... any other tips for the dyno to be as close to the real as possible will be greatly appreciated...

peter

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Peter,

This is what I do...

When you get on the dyno, Hopefully, they will let you drive...

I've done all my runs in 4th gear, so what happens is that I run the car up slowly in first, second and third (trying to NOT build up heat in the Intercooler....)... When you get to forth, you should be at about 1500/1600 rpms... When you get into forth, slow (take about 1 second) to step to full throttle.... Just as you start to step down, tell the dyno person to start sampling... When you get to redline (I stop at 4500), put the clutch in, let off the trottle and DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES !!! Let the dyno person stop the car... He can, YOU CAN'T !!! (rollers weigh more than your car!)

You should then have a good reading... You should run it with your hood open to get more air and they should also have a large fan that they can put in front of the car...

That's about it...

Gary M

First D

Veteran Member
Really? How many runs are you getting for your $17? I had to pay $50 for 3 runs when I did my 528i! That was a group buy also (minimum 15).

Oh man, don't make me go up there again...I may have my M7 ready...can I bring that?

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Gary, thank you very much for the instructions! I will try to do it that way and will post any data I got from the dyno. I am very interested to see how much this chip really did

peter

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Peter, do you have a dyno chart from when your car(engine) was stock? Otherwise, we'd need to have someone like nuke dyno his car so we would have some point of comparison...?

syck, are you there? talk to us...we're dyin' here!

Eric, you can come stay with us if you're "forced" to drive up here again...we'll take good care of you.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Norman, I do not have dyno chart from stock .... Maybe Eric can dyno his wagon, so we compare after that, even if I read here every car performs in it's own way. I found some stock TDI made 90 hp on the wheel, some less than that .... I do not know, but I am really curiouse to see my car as it feels very strong. I tried two other chipped cars before and mine feels like pulling stronger, even if those were Golfs (less weight) than my Jetta. I am also very interested to understand why my car has way less engine break power than other chipped TDIs ..... Remember me going down the mountains, coasting on 5-th gear and overtaking all of you guys with maybe more than 5 mph speed over your cars.....It sounds impossible, but my car feels like going down hill like on neautral, and was not that way before...

Anyway, looking forward for this dyno, so we see some real data!

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
That sounds like a great idea. Dyno'ed the car sometime back but the results were not real good engine cold etc. Would be very curious to give it another try. Let me know when etc.

nuke

Veteran Member
I'd be happy to dyno my car. I was kind of wondering if I could do a before and after comparison with the timing on the slightly retarded side of the chart vs the centerline or advanced side.

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
Hey all--wow, you folks are quick! I didn't know whether anyone would respond--sorry I've been away. I'm going to give Will a call tomorrow to find out more details and to try and arrange a date.

No one's posted a potential time/day so I'm going to go ahead and try to schedule for Sunday January 20 from 10:00AM on... I'll let you all know the details when I have them (as far as who's doing the run, what kind of machine, and how they do the sampling).

I'm pretty new to all this, so thanks a ton to all of you who have posted information on how to go about it!!!

So far I've got pyce(peter), norman, khwiner, and nuke as potentials for the first run, right? If we have another person (total of 6 including me) then maybe we could even cut a better deal. I'll try to arrange for 6 and if more folks want to jump on board, e-mail me directly at sycamore@grin.net and I'll let Will's friend know.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Syck .... you forgot Carl! He has a TDI plus two race Nissans and if I read it right, he would love to dyno them too.....

I do not know what about the rest of the poeple, but I will not be here no 20 Jan ..... I am trying to go to this Denver GTG. Have short vacation, so will drive around few states as I hav enever been there before..... So, if you schedurel for 20 Jan , I am not in ..... every other weekend will do for me. But do not worry, if you can get all the guys for 20 Jan, go ahead and do it, I will fit in some toehr time...

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
Sorry about forgetting you, Carl.
I spoke briefly with Will yesterday, and he was going to e-mail me some more details (haven't received an e-mail yet). Here's what we've got:

$50 for 3 groups of 3 runs. I may be better to break this up in several days, in order to accomodate schedules and to save everyone time (3 will probably take several hours, and six would probably take the better part of a day).

Will's friend has a Dynojet, so we'll be able to record our runs on disk (rockin'!).

The 20th works for him. Since it doesn't work for a couple of you guys, let me know what day would be best for you and I'll arrange it with Will. If you can do it on the 20th, please let me know by e-mail me at sycamore@grin.net. Otherwise if 2 more folks can't do it on the 20th, then I'll reschedule this particular day, too.

In my e-mail to him, I also included the details on how we'd like to have the run done (thanks to Gary!). I also asked about the location and who's doing it (the name of the company).

I think that's it. If there's anything else, please let me know!

GassinGerhard

Veteran Member
I wanna go! 20th is not good for me though. Gonna be racin' Hare Scrambles on my thumper, WR 400 Yamaha that day - Woo, hoo! I need to do a little fixin' on the dub this coming week and then I'll be ready. Got most of the mods everybody keeps goo-gawin' about so it should be pretty interesting. Last time it made something like 125hp and 225 ft./lbs. of torque at the wheels, and that was before I got done puttin' some of this other stuff in there that I recently requisitioned.

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white
Looks like I'll have to pass on Sunday's AutoX, so I'm free for the Dyno runs. You all don't mind if a bring a Nissan 300ZX do you? Need to get some benchmarks done before some track days in February...

-Carl

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white
Oh, and sign me up for multiple days too if they happen, so I can test my Golf TDI and other race car ('73 240Z).

-Carl

First D

Veteran Member
Is this happening for sure? Sorry I probably won't commit until last second...don't depend on me for this one.

I still wanted to know how many runs we're going to get (is it really 3 runs per person for $17?). I'd still like to bring my M7 (if the suspension is in) if I go, even though I know it will cost me twice as much for gas...

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Eric, bring your M7, suspension or no...what the heck, even if it falls off on the way to the SFBA, Dinan is right over in Mtn. View, I'm sure they could make it right...

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
First D: It's a sure thing, and it is indeed $50 for 3 runs, or $17 each run.

Will says that the 20th is already booked. So I'm going to try for 10 AM on the 26th (Sat) and 27th (Sun), 3 vehicles per day (unless there's a demand for more). First responders will get to go until the spots are filled up. Just post here if you want to sign up.

I'm signing up for the 27th, so that leaves 2 more spots on this day. Of course these dates could change if he tells me these days are filled too! So keep coming back here for updates.

Still waiting for details on location!

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>
...$50 for 3 groups of 3 runs...
<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>First D: It's a sure thing, and it is indeed $50 for 3 runs, or $17 each run.

<hr></blockquote>

Uhm, before there's a big misunderstanding, could you please clarify which of the above two statements is correct?

First D

Veteran Member
$50 per car for 3 runs seems to make more sense. But if it is $17 per car for 3 runs, that's better. Please confirm.

Why only 3 cars per day? That seems very slow...at the dyno day I went to we did about 18 cars (3 runs each) in 1 day.

Not that I have a say being 400 miles away, but I would prefer 1/26 Saturday than 1/27 Sunday. Then I can come back and make my Sunday morning basketball game...

CMerritt

Veteran Member
TDI
GL, 1999.5, white
Uh, yeah, throw some clarifications around here. $17 for 3 pulls per car is an awesome price. $50 for 3 pulls per car is a pretty good price. Big difference for us budget minded racers...

-Carl

syck

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GL
OK folks, big apologies here. I double-checked with Will and you were right, Carl. It's $50 per car, in groups of 3 runs. Sorry for the confusion!

Will states that Sunday the 27th is the only doable day for now, and we can schedule 6 vehicles. Gary, can you be there on the 27th to help us with the runs? We'll be starting at 8 AM. Once I know what time blocks (and time for lunch) Will would like to schedule, I'll post up a schedule for people to sign up on.

If we want another day, we can schedule that separately. Again I sorry for the confusion over the pricing.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
26 or 27 Jan works for me fine!....

Eric, I think it's 50$ for 3 run for a car, but the dyno guy accepted to run three different cars (1 run per car only) for the same price .... It sounds to me like this is the deal.

peter