Side marker lamp moisture (fenders).

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Hi all, I recently replaced the driver's side fender-mounted side marker lamp (from VW dealer) on my 2005 Golf. It accumulates moisture much more readily than the passenger side lamp (which can get moisture). Anyone have any tips/tricks on how to make these more water tight? Takes so long for them to dry out, then they get foggy after some rain. Thanks.

jmarvin

TDI
2004 JettaTDI
I had the same issue with mine. A couple summers ago I took the lenses off and applied silicone sealant around the inside lip. Been dry ever since.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Had the same problem when I first purchased my Golf in '04, but both lights were replaced under warranty. Never had a problem since. The above mentioned silicone sealant should work. Just be careful removing the light from the fender. The spring clip is in the front of the fixture and prying is from the rear. Masking tape would help to protect the paint. The dealer managed to chip the paint on my one year old car.

jmarvin

TDI
2004 JettaTDI
Blue painter's tape may be necessary. I left it on for a full day so it would keep pressure on the lens while the silicone cured.

sps

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 vw bora 1.9 tdi pd triptronic(130bhp)5speed auto
I have the same problem with moisture accumulation when it rains.I have a problem removing the lens on the driver side.
It won't move in either direction despite all my efforts.:mad:The correct technique for removal is to slide/ push the lens towards the front of the car and pull it off.Prying the rear of the lens should not be necessary.
The passenger side lens comes off easily with this techique.
Any ideas how i can remove it?:confused:

Last edited:

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
i know it may sound strange but my son has an 01 cab, same markers as we do, and he found that B5 side markers dont seem to leak as bad. thats what i have in my 99 and no water leakage yet.