Should I get this tire plugged

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I would. Metal pieces like wiggling around as the tire deforms and stretches at speed. Bigger holes are harder to patch. However, I've seen tires last a long time with a screw in them. Up to you.

Crispy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hmm you and a friend both mentioned that, maybe I just should, I think it's only $15 at Canadian Tire any how.

Thanks for your input!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I has held air for two years? Pull the nail or screw out and see if it leaks.

If it still holds air, drive on. If it then leaks, fix it with an inside patch.

No plugs.

Bill

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I assumed by "plug it" he meant fix it. He's right, the best option is always an inside patch. I don't really know anyone who uses the plug style fix anymore...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would have it patched. Looking at the photo, it appears the tread is well worn. It may just be the photo, but if it is well worn, it is time to replace them not try and use them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
thats a snow tire? def worn right down!

Crispy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hmm, I think the photo is making it look a bit more worn then it is, although two of the tires are quite a bit more worn then the other two I'm putting on the front. I'm not really sure how worn is too worn when it comes to snow tires, I'll take another picture on my lunch.

As for patching, does anyone know if Canadian Tire does that as well (or dealership.. but I'm guessing they would overcharge on that as well)? Anyone have any approximate costs?

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Inside patch is the way to go. Too bad you don't live in the PNW as there is a tire chain store that does it for free. My wife just had this done last week with one of the Nokian WR-G2 tires on her Honda. There was a screw in the tire in nearly the same position as the one in the photo.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Personally, I'd plug that tire on the car, in less than a minute it's fixed. You can buy plugs that are made for radial tires. That's in a really good spot for a plug repair.

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
I've had good luck with the tire plug method as well, not always recommended, but certainly cheaper and quicker.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Crispy said:
.. although two of the tires are quite a bit more worn then the other two I'm putting on the front. ..
For safety you put the best two tyres on the back. Yea the back. Controlling your car and avoiding an accident is #1 for me and I hope for you, since I might be the one you hit.

If you have low traction in the back, then in the typical accident situation, you want to be able to stop and even more important control the direction of the car.

Good tread in the front and poor in the back means when you try to turn away from an accident or just hit the brakes hard, the back end will not have the stopping power of the front and you will end up looking where you have been and not where you are going.

From the looks of it, you need four new winter tyres.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
If I understand the meaning of plug, it is something applied from the outside. If so that would be a better option because taking the tire off the rim to install an inside patch could cause rim leaks further down the line. A neighbor of mine installed a plug after I removed a rather large sheet metal screw on a gasser I once owned with good lasting results. This was some kit he had picked up at an auto parts store.

Last edited:

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Canadian Tire patches, so does Wal-mart, Kaltire, etc. Just double check with the monkey, I mean service manager and tell him what you want.

Not that expensive (I think Wal-mart charged $15 a little while back)

RickCJ7

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Joe_Meehan said:
For safety you put the best two tyres on the back. Yea the back. Controlling your car and avoiding an accident is #1 for me and I hope for you, since I might be the one you hit.

If you have low traction in the back, then in the typical accident situation, you want to be able to stop and even more important control the direction of the car.

Good tread in the front and poor in the back means when you try to turn away from an accident or just hit the brakes hard, the back end will not have the stopping power of the front and you will end up looking where you have been and not where you are going.

FWD car front tires do the steering, accelleration and stopping, rears are just along for the ride. If the rear tires are at least 1/2 tread put the snows up front, they won't help much on the rear, if less than 1/2 get 4 new tires.
I realize tire manufactures recommend new tires on the rear for maximum traction/handling, But does your normal driving come close to the limits?
I agree with best tire on the rear of a rear wheel drive, but a FWD is very hard to spin the rear out.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
lkchris said:
No tire manufacturer approves plugging.
Agreed. They also want to sell more tires. I've never had a Camel brand plug spit out, fail, leak, ... I've had good luck with patches and also have vulcanizing equipment (A clamp and torch...) but I think plugging is a really safe bet. Have you seen one fail?

To the OP - I run tires to the wear marks, unless the sidewalls are wearing out. Obviosuly, you need to be careful and protect yourself and your family.

You're mileage may vary.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
It’s illegal to plug a tire here in Maine. A plugged tire won’t pass inspection either (like who checks tires to see if they are plugged)

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
I've put over 30 plugs into tires in my lifetime.

I've only had one of them that ever leaked, and it was a slow leak at that. The rest of them outlasted the tire.

This fear of plugging is unfounded.

However... like others have said... those look like the sorriest snowtires I've ever seen.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Pictures can be deceiving and remember that it’s not so much the tread depth as it is the rubber compound. Staying soft in cold temperatures is #1. Tread doesn’t hurt with snow however.
Those smaller slits are still clearly visible, I'd run them for a little while yet.

Last edited:

Crispy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Ok, here, another picture without the flash, which was drowning out the depth. I think it looks fine for another winter:

I think I'll just take the nail out, rub soapy water over it, maybe it won't even leak? If it does then maybe I'll try a plug kit.

rust0r

TDI
None Yet
Joe_Meehan said:

Your advice is similar to telling an unsuspecting 4 year old, that the Halloween candy with the nails in them tastes better.

You clearly lack the automotive knowledge required to give PROPER and SAFE suggestions with regards to regular vehicle maintenance and operation.

I would hate to see the effects of someone following your advice.

It looks like in the case of an accident, you my friend will be the one doing the 'hitting' with your ass-backwards tire setup.

These boards are a great source of knowledge for everyone, but this is a prime example, if you don't know, DON'T post, you could be costing someone the life of their spouse and children just so that you "look like you know what you're talking about' to a bunch of people on the internet"

Oh, and the word is "tire", note "tyre"

Plug it and you will be fine, take it easy (as you should be in winter anyways), and you will do just fine. You were right with your initial thoughts of putting it on the rear.

P.S. Here is how my summer tires look like when I'm done with them. I'm well aware of how "low tread" tires handle vs new ones.

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
rust0r said:
Oh, and the word is "tire", note "tyre"
Lol I had to. The word "tyre" is proper in the U.K., Australia, and many other ex-commonwealth countries. It's not wrong, it's just different.:D

Also I believe there's a happy spot with worn tires. Front tires will wear faster, and you should rotate regularly to avoid issues. If there's a significant difference in grip between two sets (ie 2 summer, 2 winter or 2 bald and 2 new) then most definately put the best on the back. Otherwise the car is very unpredictable when traction is needed the most. Also I found it to be very undriveable in the winter.

If they are close in wear, and similar in construction (ie all winter) then I would always put the slightly better two on the front. Most of your stopping power is on the front tires, and all of your driving power is.

There's been several threads on this posted around the forum if you wish to do some further reading on the theories behind this.

Always use discretion, there's no one rule that will answer every question.

Last edited:

rust0r

TDI
None Yet
flatlanded said:
Lol I had to. The word "tyre" is proper in the U.K., Australia, and many other ex-commonwealth countries. It's not wrong, it's just different.:D
Unfortunately for him, he lives in the US, it is wrong.

rust0r

TDI
None Yet
flatlanded said:

Also I believe there's a happy spot with worn tires. Front tires will wear faster, and you should rotate regularly to avoid issues. If there's a significant difference in grip between two sets (ie 2 summer, 2 winter or 2 bald and 2 new) then most definately put the best on the back. Otherwise the car is very unpredictable when traction is needed the most. Also I found it to be very undriveable in the winter.

If they are close in wear, and similar in construction (ie all winter) then I would always put the slightly better two on the front. Most of your stopping power is on the front tires, and all of your driving power is.

There's been several threads on this posted around the forum if you wish to do some further reading on the theories behind this.

Always use discretion, there's no one rule that will answer every question.
I'm well aware of the arguments on both sides of the "new tire on front or rear" issue.

99% of people will benefit and have a safer driving experience with the better tires mounted on the front. If you drive like Schumacher in the winter, then yes, you will be fighting some slight over-steer around corners from time to time. However in general starting and stopping applications, the front tires do a large portion of the work on a FWD car, and thus why they wear much faster than the rears.

I can personally vouch that given my experience with those tires posted above, in which at one period 2 of them were bald and the other 2 still had tread, not once did I ever have any over-steer issues with them mounted "best at the front".

Not to mention the implication of putting the two crappy tires on the front, the increased chance of under-steer, which as we see daily, most people have a hard time of figuring out how to correct it. "Jam on the brakes and steer away, HARD!"....right...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
rust0r said:
Unfortunately for him, he lives in the US, it is wrong.
I learned the spelling when I had a 1965 Sunbeam Imp. BTW I am an Irish citizen so I guess I am allowed to use the "proper" spelling. :D

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
TDI
Seat Leon TDi SE
rust0r said:
You clearly lack the automotive knowledge required to give PROPER and SAFE suggestions with regards to regular vehicle maintenance and operation.

I would hate to see the effects of someone following your advice.

It looks like in the case of an accident, you my friend will be the one doing the 'hitting' with your ass-backwards tire setup.

P.S. Here is how my summer tires look like when I'm done with them. I'm well aware of how "low tread" tires handle vs new ones.

And your preaching about being safe?

I am a professional high performance tyre technician and the advice to put the new tyres on the rear of a vehicle, regardless of drivetrain, is quite correct.

I've seen some of the research statistics that were carried out, over ten years worth of accident data due to tyre failure and you would be surprised by how many car accidents do involve the back end of the car kicking out.

What is the minimum legal amount of tread allowed on a tyre in the US/ Canada?

The UK is 1.6mm
Germany and most EU countries it is 3mm, were most part worn tyres come from.