Should Engine Mount Bolts be replaced in TB change?

spiff

Some time ago I read in this forum that Engine Mount Bolts are "strechted" type and should be replaced during the Timing Belt change.

Recently I was talking to my local mechanic about the upcoming TB change, I mentioned the replacement of Engine Mount Bolts and he says it is not necesary.

Can somebody confirm if these bolts should be replaced??
Or should I replace the mechanic??

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
spiff-
There are a number of reported incidents (some with photos) of the bolts breaking because they were re-used. This causes the engine to separate from the mount or the body of the car. As you can imagine, this is most unsettling to the driver of the car.

Insist that the bolts are replaced. Familiarize yourself with the procedure that is available here on the club. You can download it and know exactly what the mechanic should be doing. Good luck.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
They only need to be replaced if you want your engine to stay HORIZONTAL in the engine bay.

d2305 is correct... find a new mechanic!

God knows what other shortcuts he'll take.

Mel

spiff

Thank you for the answers.

My mechanic insists that engine mounting bolts are not stretched and should NOT be replaced. He says that when doing engine work he usually replace engine head bolts, but not the engine mounting bolts turing a TB job. May be European VW use non stretched bolts??

Can somebody post an official VW document or diagram where it says that it is required to change bolts during a TB job..

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The design and build of these cars is the same everywhere. The Bentley Manual, which is a replica of the shop manual AFAIK, has these labeled as "always replace". I don't have the means to post this for you.

do a search on this site for engine mount and you will be looking to replace that mechanic.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Unfortunately, ETKA does not state that the bolts are one-time use. :(

Anyone got access to ELSA?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is there a working link to ETKA? The last one I had was broken.

leroy_in_fresno

TDI
New Beetle, 2001, Silver
Forget that "mechanic" he is like 90% of the "professional" mechanics in the US, they are unfamiliar with diesels, unfamiliar with european, and so arrogant that they are dangerous. I had for the most part stopped doing my own vehicle repair until I purchased my 1999 NB a year and a half ago, after reading these forums I was scared to take my baby to any of these frankenstein mechanics, so I bought the tools, the software, the hardware and do it myself, I am in heaven. Did the TB 10 months ago thanks to all of the helpful folks here and did not have any trouble at all, get the complete kit at one of the online sponsors of tdi club and also get the video, you will be glad you did.

Davidbru2

TDI
2000 Jetta
If I recall a long time ago, someone(I believe it was Mickey) took some of these bolts and torqued them into a steel plate and recorded how much they grew after each stretching. That was enough for me to know that they need replaced every time!