Shelf life of an additive that contains significant amounts of Bio-Diesel

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
On the Duramax Forum, Opti-Lube came out and stated that XPD and XL both contain a significant amount of Bio-Diesel in them and XL has more than XPD.

Most people say that Bio-Diesel has a shelf life of 6 months. so with that said, if you mix Bio-diesel with say, 50% additives, will that allow it to last longer on a shelf?

Also, wouldn't the additives push any water in the Bio-Diesel to the bottom of the bottle almost immediately and allow the water to possibly do bad things?

I like Bio-Diesel, but I am unsure how I feel about spending top dollar on a bottle of additive that contains a significant amount of $3.00 per gallon Bio-diesel that could be made with waste vegetable oil and a brand that has had issues with it in the past.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have read that bio has a 6 month or so life when properly stored. This would probably be a question that has to be answered by OL as there are some unknowns and other chemicals involved.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I trust bio for a year from manufacture, when properly stored (sealed, full, opaque containers). That's high percentages and used in 15 gallon tank-fulls.
A few ounces of an additive I wouldn't worry over. The amount of water it could adsorb, the amount of slime that it would host, is negligible.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
From an email I received from Optilube regarding XPD storage, " I tell folks just to store the bottle out of direct sunlight and rotate or shake it before you use it. It should store for at least a year. "

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
On the Duramax Forum, Opti-Lube came out and stated that XPD and XL both contain a significant amount of Bio-Diesel in them and XL has more than XPD.

Most people say that Bio-Diesel has a shelf life of 6 months. so with that said, if you mix Bio-diesel with say, 50% additives, will that allow it to last longer on a shelf?

Also, wouldn't the additives push any water in the Bio-Diesel to the bottom of the bottle almost immediately and allow the water to possibly do bad things?

I like Bio-Diesel, but I am unsure how I feel about spending top dollar on a bottle of additive that contains a significant amount of $3.00 per gallon Bio-diesel that could be made with waste vegetable oil and a brand that has had issues with it in the past.
I got this email from OL provider. Not sure where you are hearing about significant amounts of bio.

Small Batch of Additive Recall

First we want to alert you of a small problem hat a few Opti-Lube XPD and XL user could find. Some might see small particles that look black on the bottom of their container. Bio-diesel is a small part of these formulas that have up to 12 different chemicals. Unfortunately, a bad batch of Bio-Diesel has effected some. If you believe you have some of the bad additive (XPD or XL) please send us the name, address and amount of product you ordered and we will replace it. You can also contact Opti-Lube direct and ask for replacement or a refund. Contacting Opti-Lube direct will be your only option for a possible refund. 1-888-326-6789

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Optilube post on dieselplace.com

We would like to add that each of our formulas has as many as 12 chemicals. Bio-Diesel is just a small part. We took samples of all our base chemicals this morning and none of them had any contaminants whatsoever. There was a point where Opti-Lube was run from a garage when it was under control of another owner. At this point, it is part of Low Range Off-Road and has part of our facility in Utah. If anyone finds this in the bottom of their containers, please call us for a refund or replacement of product.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
This is what I read.....

Opti-Lube said:
Well, we are not a vendor, so please let this post stay. I will try to clear things up.

- There is/was a problem with some of the XL and XPD bottles we have out there. Bio-Diesel is a small part of our formula and the bottom of some barrels were very dirty.

- We are not listed on the EPA website for a diesel additive. We have recently applied and are working through the process. We hope to have it complete with the EPA soon.

- Our XPD formula is not the same as it was when the spicer test was complete. We have worked to make it better and we have done testing and posted it on our website.

- Opti-Lube was run out of a garage until 2 years ago. It now under Low Range Offroad's roof.

- We will stand behind our product and refund or replace product that has this issue. Just call or email us.

We are working to correct issues and have tested everything today and it was contaminant free.
It went on to people calling and asking how much of the product is Bio-Diesel and them not telling people. I would not expect them to.

It does strike me odd for them to say they did a test and things were contaminant free "that day".