Severe engine rattle, please help!

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but couldnt find a general mechanical fault section..
Our A3 (1.9 PD with BLS engine code), suddenly developed a loud rattle, no previous issues, no power loss, fault codes or warning lights.
We pulled over and drove to a garage. They said its not the DMF (as i thought),
but could be top end. So i took the cover off to inspect the cam. It has pretty bad scoring to the BOTTOM of 2 of the lobes but the lobe tops look good. Everything else, injector tops etc look ok.

So should i take the sump off to check the big ends?

The noise is a loud ticking, rises and falls with revs (does not drop off on the overrun).

I know all about the dreaded BXE con rod issue so am getting nervous as ive heard BLS could be affected also. If i find a loose cap, can the bearings be changed in situ without taking the head off?

Thanks.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Can you post a video of the rattle.

Are the mounts all ok? Also how's the cat heat shield?

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Just going out to check the cat now, really doesnt sound bottom end and seems to come from the back.

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Cant see anything loose around the cat, whilst i was underneath i put my ear to the sump and it sounds fine, i would like to do an oil pressure check though but havent a clue how its done on the PD, an ideas?

thanks

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
This turned out be be trashed no. 2 big end brg and badly scored crank. ( surprise surprise), so another bls code engine bites the dust. Car now sold for spares/repair. Very annoyed as ive just added to a HUGE list of disappointed customers. Getting a Toyota next

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Wow, sad to hear, :(

Did you run it out of oil?

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Wow, sad to hear, :(

Did you run it out of oil?
No it was regularly serviced with the correct oil. Turns out the 1.9 PD of 2007 and 2008 have an inherent design fault with the bottom end, the crank and rods were changed to reduce costs and poorly made shells fitted that de-laminate over time. BXE and BLS engines, a quick google search brings up a shocking amount of similar stories

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sorry to hear and thanks for the info, did not know that. :(