Service FYI..

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
Had my '11 Jetta TDI MT in for the 20k service today.

Asked them about the new widget for the filler neck to prevent misfueling.

Service writer said they don't put them on anymore due to compliants about fuel spillage, inability to fill etc.

Apparently this widget as poorly engineered as Obamacare, surprising ineptitude from VW

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
Besides an oil change, what is including in a 20K service?

STLvwConvert

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (buyback 8/29/17)
I can't fill up at full speed on most pumps now b/c of the new neck...I don't mind filling up at a slower speed but it's a pain if you're in a rush.

OntarioVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta highline
I have the miss fuelling addapter "widget" and haven't had any problem filling up at full speed or spilling fuel.

jetta12tdi

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
I have observed the probable cause for this filler neck issue (may have been mentioned before):

The end length of the diesel nozzle that goes into the tank determines if you can fill quickly or not. I found this out the other day at a filling station when I could barely fill up. I notice that the nozzle barely went into the tank. I tried a different pump then next time and it had a longer end and worked perfect!

Conclusion - Find a nozzle that is long enough to go DEEP into the tank.

SIZE DOES MATTER :D

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I yanked mine last week, SOOOO much better now. Mine wouldn't splash, but would trip the pump to shut off every 5 seconds or so (no exaggeration).
20K service is just oil, tire rot., cabin air filter(?), engine air filter, and fuel filter I think. Plus whatever inspections they do.

flyerchic2000

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Nav Manual
Me too

The dealer installed this on my car when I got an oil change last week. I went to go fill up and it shut the pump off every 5 seconds. I was infuriated. Called them up and they had me come in so they could remove it. I asked them if other people had this same problem and my rep told me only on some cars??

I was really mad because I didn't give them permission to put it on. They just did it because it was a recall.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Never had spillage problems but always worried that the nozzle would fall out of the adapter. Yanked that puppy a while back and no problems. Since I'm the only one who fills our vehicles and I can read I don't expect any problems (until I forget how to read anyway).

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I got a complimentary door ding complete with chipped paint from my dealership for my 20k service. For my 30k I am going to ask them if they can just hand me 5 quarts of oil and a filter...

They also installed the mis-fuel adapter without my permission and I asked them to remove it once I saw it on the invoice. Sheesh, i used to be a tech and we never did anything without asking permission.

Collin J

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi Reflex Silver Metallic 6MT
Anyone got a picture of what it looks like? or is it something down in the filler neck?