Seat Question

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I have a 2003 2 door Golf with cloth seats. They are really in pretty good shape. I have no complaints.

Yesterday I was at the pick a part and run across a 2001 Jetta with near perfect leather seats.

I know the seats are different in the golf with being able to access the back.

I just can't get these seats out of my head. Is anyone aware of if you could remove the leather from the Jetta Seat and replace it on the Golf Seat? I know an alteration or two would be needed and I have seen videos where it was removed and replaced. Just me thinking.

It well be a sad day if these find their way to the crusher.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Yeah I thought of that. But, I'm going the other direction. So I would lose access to my back seat. Not a big deal. It's seldom used. Can't decide if I want to do that though.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Yeah I thought of that. But, I'm going the other direction. So I would lose access to my back seat. Not a big deal. It's seldom used. Can't decide if I want to do that though.
I didn't delete my comment in time. I misread your post lol

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You can swap parts to keep your 2-door seat bottoms. put the bottom leather cushion/upholstery on your original frames. Bolt the leather seat back (complete) onto the original frame as well.

Good to go.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
A search will reveal more good info....

The front seat flip-up feature of 2-door Golfs incorporates both the seat back and seat base, but can also be swapped out (if you want to do the work). As you said, the seat covers can be removed and swapped, also with some effort and a few small mods based on seat type (high bolsters covers to low bolster foam may leave you unhappy, and cutting holes in the new covers requires follow-on stitching). If the leather seats have lumbar, you can also add that to your Golf seats (see Lito's old post for the how-to). The wiring harness is usually different between 2001 and 2003, so keep an eye out for that mod, and when checking salvage cars, inspect the rear seat belts to see if they are "locked" in position, or release freely. Many accident cars require more effort with the rear seat belt harness once it has been locked. Jetta seats also have a locking rear seatback, so if the salvage car has a key in it, buy it along with the seats.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Right i forgot about the loop you pull on the back to pop the seat up and forward for rear seat access. I did this work years ago in my GTi.

So you’d need to swap the upholstery and foam on the backs as well as the bottoms over to your 2-door seat frames.