SD Card port on radio

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Is anybody else using it? I love it. I went and picked up an 8GB card at Best Buy for $25 and now I have the smallest ever iPod for my car. Who needs Apple??

jtdmc

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
jnecr said:
Is anybody else using it? I love it. I went and picked up an 8GB card at Best Buy for $25 and now I have the smallest ever iPod for my car. Who needs Apple??
how many songs are you holding?

jtdmc

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
That sounds like a good alternative considering that I did not get the MDI in my car, and my ipod keeps running out of battery. When you plug it in, will the names of the songs actually appear on the screen? What is the best sd card to get? Is it simply "plug and play"?

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
jtdmc said:
When you plug it in, will the names of the songs actually appear on the screen? What is the best sd card to get? Is it simply "plug and play"?
Yes, it reads mp3 files, so if you have the all tagged appropriately the song name, artist, and album name will appear on both the radio and the instrument cluster display. Since SD cards are an ISO standard I would imagine that any SD card you can buy will work. I was, at first, worried that the 8GB I bought wouldn't work. But it works just as well as the old 512MB card that I had in my old camera. There has got to be some limitation to the size of the card that will work for the head unit. But, I don't know what it is...

Plug and play, for sure! My laptop has an SD card port built-in which makes it super easy to add/delete files from it. If you don't have a port I'm sure there's USB-to-SD card adapters available. But, when you get to the car it's as simple as putting the SD card in the slot in the radio. If the radio is off it will even turn on to start playing what you have on there...

jtdmc

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
jnecr said:
Yes, it reads mp3 files, so if you have the all tagged appropriately the song name, artist, and album name will appear on both the radio and the instrument cluster display. Since SD cards are an ISO standard I would imagine that any SD card you can buy will work. I was, at first, worried that the 8GB I bought wouldn't work. But it works just as well as the old 512MB card that I had in my old camera. There has got to be some limitation to the size of the card that will work for the head unit. But, I don't know what it is...

Plug and play, for sure! My laptop has an SD card port built-in which makes it super easy to add/delete files from it. If you don't have a port I'm sure there's USB-to-SD card adapters available. But, when you get to the car it's as simple as putting the SD card in the slot in the radio. If the radio is off it will even turn on to start playing what you have on there...
Rock On! (no pun intended) Looks like the wife and I will be out and about tomorrow searching for an SD card :)

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
jnecr said:
There has got to be some limitation to the size of the card that will work for the head unit. But, I don't know what it is...

The 2010 Premium VIII radio will accept up to 32G SDHC cards...says so in the Premium VIII radio manual.

I'm personally using a regular SD 2G. It works great, artist, song title, and album displays on the radio....organized into appropriate folders. Very cool.

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I just got an 8GB SDHC card last week to use in the car. I got one for 14.99 from sears.com. It worked great for the thanksgiving road trip. I decided not to get a bigger SD card because the manual says that the system can only play a maximum number of total songs (I can't remember the number) that I calculated to be about 8GB worth of songs at 256kbs.

Oh and a little trick I realized if you keep your music in folders and want to be able to play all the music in all the folders on shuffle - put at least a single song on the SD card in no folder. If you select the shuffle option while that song is playing, it will play all the songs in all subfolders.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine works great...

I have a micro SDHC 4GB card left over from an old Windows mobile phone that I don't use since I went to an iPhone :D. I put it in the SD adapter so it will fit and loaded it up. Works great and much faster than the CD's. I used to load up CD's with MP3's, fill up the changer, and thought that was the greatest in my 06, but the SD card accesses much faster and doesn't have to switch discs... I am glad since my complementary Sirius subscription will be running out soon and I don't plan on renewing since I can have my own jukebox for free:)..

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
skinnyb said:
I am glad since my complementary Sirius subscription will be running out soon and I don't plan on renewing since I can have my own jukebox for free:)..
Exactly, that and I've not been too impressed with the sound quality from the Satellite stations...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Has any one had any problems with mp3s that are encoded with VBR variable bit rate? I think that the unit doesn't reconize them completely as it displays two tracks for each song, one that seems hidden, the file is displayed with a period before the mp3 and can't reconize it and one that is normal. I've gone into the sd card and can't find the duplicate, I also haven't tried the card on another unit, but it only seems to happen on one or two folders where I think they are encoded with VBR

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
No problems with VBRs for me. The only difference is that it can't display the remaining time for the song. Other than that, haven't had any issues.

eggspoogas

TDI
2010 Jetta
So what are yall using to upload to the card? All my
music is on iTunes and I first had to convert them all to
mp3 but copy and paste only works until you want to update the songs
on the card and then it's not like an iPod. I had to delete everything and recopy everything else. Also how do yall organize the songs on the card? I was using a 16GB and if I separated all my artists the radio couldn't read them all. I have around 600 artists and 1700 songs.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Do you have them all in different folders or no? I would suggest that the radio can only list a finite number of folders/files. So separating them into folders might work?? I'm not sure.

If you use iTunes then this probably isn't as easy as what I had. I just had a bunch of mp3 files on my computer already. It was as easy as copying and pasting them onto the SD card. I had them in folders as well. I only had 600-700 songs though, so maybe this made it easier for the head unit in the car.

ptherock

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4-door manual
jnecr said:
No problems with VBRs for me. The only difference is that it can't display the remaining time for the song. Other than that, haven't had any issues.
this is good to hear, at least 75% of my music is vbr

eggspoogas said:
So what are yall using to upload to the card? All my
music is on iTunes and I first had to convert them all to
mp3 but copy and paste only works until you want to update the songs
on the card and then it's not like an iPod. I had to delete everything and recopy everything else. Also how do yall organize the songs on the card? I was using a 16GB and if I separated all my artists the radio couldn't read them all. I have around 600 artists and 1700 songs.
anyone know what types of files are readable by the sd card reader? unless your files are lossless, you should not convert them because you lose a lot of quality in doing so, and you will be very aware when the highs become very brash and tinny.

what operating system is on your computer? you should not have to deal with itunes, just go into windows explorer (if you have windows) or finder (if you have osx...pardon me if you have another os, but im going with the numbers of probability here :p) and on the left side you should see a drive that is labeled as your sd card. you can simply drag and drop and the files will be transferred in the proper manner!

now if you want to reorganize all of your files, you can have itunes do that for you by setting in preferences to "organize my music folder" or something like that, and it will separate all of the music by artist and album... or if you want to do it a custom way, i use an early version (free) of mp3tag to put all of my music into the same artist - track number - track name.mp3 format. if you cant tell already, im SUPER anal about my music. ;)

i hope this helps! good luck with the new car :)!

ptherock

TDI
ok, i only have mp3 and flac, i was just curious and trying to see if maybe eggspoogas was doing some unnecessary conversions.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
16 0r 32 GB is not enough for me, I have a 160GB iPod hooked up which is pretty full with music from around the world. Now I should go on a really long road trip ...

ptherock

TDI
same here in needing room, my 120gb pod is full, and they dont offer a 160 anymore. :(

ill be on a good trip after i get my car, nj -> flordia -> cali -> utah -> hopefully b.c. -> nj.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Really? 120GB full? But how much of that is in video files?

I mean, I could see easily filling my GB SD card that I picked up. But for only $25 a piece I didn't think it would be out of the question to get multiples if I really wanted to...

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
How fast is the navigation?
I noticed it was pretty slow with my iphone 3g when I tested it. Is it any faster with the SD card?

parki

TDI
2010 JSW
740GLE said:
Has any one had any problems with mp3s that are encoded with VBR variable bit rate? I think that the unit doesn't reconize them completely as it displays two tracks for each song, one that seems hidden, the file is displayed with a period before the mp3 and can't reconize it and one that is normal. I've gone into the sd card and can't find the duplicate, I also haven't tried the card on another unit, but it only seems to happen on one or two folders where I think they are encoded with VBR
If you're using a Mac, you might want to take a closer look at those folders to make sure it hasn't created any hidden files. I inserrted my SD card into a PC and was surprised to discover a bunch of files that the RCD-510 had been seemingly unable to play back were in fact extra files that iTunes had created.

hammersc

TDI
Golf TDI soon
which head unit

Is this thread pertaining to the head unit with the navigation? Or does this apply to the standard premium head unit? Or both...

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Definitely with the standard premium head unit that is stock in the new Golf TDIs. But, I assume that the navigation head unit also has this SD card slot...

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Are SDHC cards compatible with the radios found in the 2010 JSW TDI?
The 2010 JSW TDI with RNS-510 will only accept 2GB SD cards. This is as stated in the manual and I have tested it. "ERROR READING CARD"

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
So, I think I have the same unit. In the manual it also states that it will accept SDHC cards up to 32GB. Does your's not say that?

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
jnecr said:
In the manual it also states that it will accept SDHC cards up to 32GB. Does your's not say that?
I'm using a 16 gb card that works great.

eggspoogas said:
So what are yall using to upload to the card?
You can get a card reader for less than $10 that you plug into a USB port, then just transfer from computer to card.