Screeching/Squealing When Accelerating

Fabeeeen

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Hey everyone. I currently own a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with just over 72k miles. Lately it’s been making this screeching/squealing noise but only when I either floor it, or under easy acceleration, it’ll do it in 2nd & 3rd gear after 2k rpm. No issues or noises at start up or when cruising on the highway.

I’m thinking it just needs the serpentine belt replaced but not 100% sure.

Last edited:

Fabeeeen

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Tried spraying some “belt renew”... no go. Replaced the belt and nothing. I did see a small amount of play on the tensioner so I’m gonna replace that and the alternator pulley this weekend and see what’s up.
After that I’m out of ideas.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you can run the car without the accessory belt, see if the noise goes away, save yourself from tossing parts at it.

Fabeeeen

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I’ll have to give that a shot too.

It doesn’t do it at idle or when cruising. Only when accelerating.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I believe that if there is relative movement between the belt and the rollers/tensioner when you accelerate you should get a screech sound. Since your belt is new I think your symptoms point to either a tensioner that is too weak or one of the rollers in the accessory belt path is on its last legs. That seems more likely than a boost leak. Maybe see if you get the screech sound with the transmission in Park and you have someone rev up the engine while you stand there next to the front of the engine with the hood up looking for the source of the sound.

Fabeeeen

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Well I replaced the tensioner yesterday with no luck. I had my brother in law and father in law both watching the engine as I revved it with the hood up and it would not reproduce the sound. Only when I have it more than 50% throttle it’ll make the sound. If I slowly accelerate, it’s fine.

ret1614

TDI
14 Passat CKRA, 05 Jetta BRM, 02 JSW ALH
If you have a way to watch boost requested vs actual do so. Boost leaks can make squealing noises a lot like a belt.