ScanGauge Tips & Tricks

tgiaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5s
While searching for more info about what the SG can do, I found this over on the cleanmpg.com forums and thought it might be useful info for all of you who use this amazing little device.

Read Entire Thread

Note that the PIDs are not vehicle specific. Also, it doesn't seem like the SG can monitor fuel temps... yet.

Enjoy :)

Calibration
The math may get a bit fuzzy, but I'll try to clod trough it. There are two settings you can set, one is Speed plus or minus whole percents (±1%, ±2%, ±3%...). This effects MPH, DIST, MPG, DISTANCE TO EMPTY (think that's it). So if you see that SGII is reading too low on MPG, DIST, or MPH, then bump up SPEED, till MPH on the gauge and on the dash match (or until DIST on the gauge and on the odometer match).

The other setting you can adjust is in FILLUP and that controls how it monitors fuel use. This is a plus or minus percent meant to get the gallons you put in the tank to match the gallons SG calculated you burned. This effects GPH, MPG, DIST TO EMPTY. So if SG has calculated that less gas was burned than what you just pumped in, the set calibration to some positive percent till they come in line. The manual (search fillup) goes over this to some detail.

Now the interesting part comes when you start comparing your MPG. Since for me the MPG is the most important figure. MPG is Miles/gallon. Another ratio to state it is MPH/GPH (GPH=gallon per hour).

So increasing MPH increases MPG.
Decreasing MPH decreases MPG.
Increasing GPH decreases MPG.
Decreasing GPH increases MPG.

Sounds simple, but it's easy to get mixed up. So if SG reports a lower MPG than we calculate (either at the pump or on the FCD) then we need to increase MPG. We can do this by either increasing (+%) the speed calibration or decreasing (-%) the fillup calibration. And conversely if SG reports a higher MPG than we calculate (either at the pump or on the FCD) then we need to decrease MPG. We can do this by either decreasing (-%) the speed calibration or increasing (+%) the fillup calibration.

Confused yet? I've added a spreadsheet to the uploads section to do the math for you.
(ScanGaugeII Calibration Worksheet - EDIT: Link removed, registration needed)

Now there is a little trick I found on the FILLUP calibration. I found it best to do FILLUP>DONE without calibrating, then when gallons consumed is 0.0 do FILLUP again (before you start the car), that way you can set the calibration in arbitrary tenths of a percent 1.1%, 1.2% ... etc. Try it on your next tank to see for yourself.

Daisy-Chaining
If you have more than one SGII and want multiple TANK (ie trip) totals, or multiple CURRENT totals, you can hook them up to each other. This is also a nice way to see the trip MPG on one gauge and instantaneous MPG on the other.

To daisy chain, hook up one gauge as you always do, then in the "second" connection spot, run a standard (not crossover) PC network cable from one gauge to the other. Before you try it, I'd recommend setting MODE to AUTO and RATE to SLOW on the car your trying this on. Some protocols are easier to daisy-chain than others, so expect limited results.

Power
Ever long for a power cord for your SGII so you didn't have to go back out to your car with a pen to transcribe data. Turns out they are simple to make.

First lets name stuff. Call the button with the red circle around it the HOME key. Now look at the pins that you plug the plug into closest to the home key. Now call the copper wire closest to the home key PIN1 and the wire furthest from the home key (on that connector) PIN8. To power SGII outside of your car, hook a 9v battery too it. Negative (-) to PIN1 and Positive (+) to PIN8

Now if you want to record all your TODAY and PREVIOUS DAY trip data, you can simply pull it out of the car and throw it in your pack and power it with your DC power adapter.

Demo Mode
Once you have it hooked to a 9v, you can put it in demo mode. To go into demo mode from the home (connecting) screen.

1) Press MORE>MORE>MORE
2) Press Lower Left button 5 times
3) Press HOME button

I can't think of any use for Demo Mode other than to demo it. One downside is that the miles and gallons the demo-car uses will be added to your totals. So it will pollute your tank, today and previous day trip data. Still kinda fun though. I'm trying to get all my friends interested, so this turns out to be a neat little trick.

Procrastination Mode
I don't know about you, but I'm all for putting off till tomorrow, what should be done today. On that note, it's always a bit of a chore to sit down and write all my "CURRENT" mpg from trip to trip. "TANK" and "TODAY" I know will still be there when I get back to my car, but once SG goes to sleep, "CURRENT" is gone. So I figured out a way to make "CURRENT" stick (mpg at least), so you can dash into that meeting your late for, rest assured that you can log the data when you get back. Here's how.

1) Right before you power down, just go and peak at the "CURRENT" mpg.
2) Once that screen is up, power-down, and run like mad to catch your meeting.
3) When you return to the car, relaxed, pull out a pen and watch closely when you power up your car. For 1 second, your "CURRENT" mpg is still there.
4) Write it down quickly before it goes away and hypermile home.

I actually use this a lot since my garage is west facing. It gets well over 100 in there when I pull in, and the last thing I want to do is sit in that sauna and jot down figures. I usually catch it after dinner instead.
OK... figured out the CMNDS stuff. Here's a list of commands you can play with that should work:

0100 - PIDs supported
0101 - Number of trouble codes and I/M info
0103 - Fuel system status
0104 - Calculated engine load value
0105 - Engine coolant temperature
0106 - Short term fuel % trim—Bank 1
0107 - Long term fuel % trim—Bank 1
0108 - Short term fuel % trim—Bank 2
0109 - Long term fuel % trim—Bank 2
010A - Fuel pressure
010B - Intake manifold pressure
010C - Engine RPM
010D - Vehicle speed
010E - Timing advance
010F - Intake air temperature
0110 - MAF air flow rate
0111 - Throttle position
0112 - Sec.(?) air status
0113 - Oxygen sensors present
011C - OBD standards this vehicle conforms to
011F - Run time since engine start
0120 - PIDs supported 21-40
0121 - Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on
0122 - Fuel Rail Pressure (relative to manifold vacuum)
0123 - Fuel Rail Pressure (diesel)
012C - Commanded EGR
012D - EGR Error
012E - Commanded evaporative purge
012F - Fuel Level Input
0130 - # of warm-ups since codes cleared
0131 - Distance traveled since codes cleared
0132 - Evap. System Vapor Pressure
0133 - Barometric pressure
0140 - PIDs supported 41-60 (?)
0141 - Monitor status this drive cycle
0142 - Control module voltage
0143 - Absolute load value
0144 - Command equivalence ratio
0145 - Relative throttle position
0146 - Ambient air temperature
0147 - Absolute throttle position B
0148 - Absolute throttle position C
0149 - Accelerator pedal position D
014A - Accelerator pedal position E
014B - Accelerator pedal position F
014C - Commanded throttle actuator
014D - Time run with MIL on
014E - Time since trouble codes cleared
0902 - Vehicle identification number (VIN)

More info on PIDs and how they are used here
EDIT: Corrected links and removed Calibration Worksheet link (as indicated, u need to be registered on cleanmpg.com forums to access the file)

Last edited:

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Thanks for finding this. Great stuff ! I love that thing about the power adapter. I guess will be able to use the SG to scan codes on another car without losing trip data ?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
weasel said:
Thanks for finding this. Great stuff ! I love that thing about the power adapter. I guess will be able to use the SG to scan codes on another car without losing trip data ?
The trip data is in non-volatile memory. You can unplug it all you want and not lose trip data. The trick is so that you can take it inside and play with it on a bench.

The tip i found best was being able to do X.X% instead of X% on fillups...

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Really ... then explain why I lost my distance to empty information, the gauge set-up, the color setting, etc. When its plugged into the car its no problem. Now I did scan codes on another car, maybe this had something to do with it. I would have though it wouldn't lose everything.

tgiaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5s
weasel said:
Really ... then explain why I lost my distance to empty information, the gauge set-up, the color setting, etc. When its plugged into the car its no problem. Now I did scan codes on another car, maybe this had something to do with it. I would have though it wouldn't lose everything.

Hmmm.. good question. I haven't yet tried it myself but the manual says:
FLASH MEMORY
The ScanGaugeII II uses a type of memory which doesn’t require
batteries or a source of power to maintain. This means that your settings
will not be lost if you disconnect the vehicle battery or disconnect the
ScanGaugeII.
The actual saving of the current settings occurs whenever the unit goes
to sleep or when the SAVE> or DONE> selections are made.
One possibility I see is that you might have disconnected it before it had time to go to sleep (12 sec. after engine was turned off)

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
weasel said:
This also happened to me when my battery went dead and I tried starting the car. I guess it pulled everything down with it and reset everything *except* for the trip. Lights, Calibrations, but not Trip. Go figure.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Daisychaining? What an awesome idea! For double the cost, you can display tons of info without having to push buttons! I love it! :D