Sad and Different Tone on the Diesel Gate forum

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Ive been here getting updates since the scandal broke out....

I remember all the speculation about what would happen. They would make us all do a mandatory fix that would kill our power and our MPG! I remember taking my car in for its 40 and 50K oil changes and watching them like a hawk to make sure they didn't plug anything into the car to " Program " anything!

Then I saw our resale values start to plummet....

Then thanks ONLY... to keeping a eye on this site every few days we had the ability to register for the 1000$ goodwill program! Would have certainly missed that boat if not for coming here!

And now its a bit foggy but as my friends and I say.... $hit got real.... in June when the announcement and proposed settlement facts came out. They were going to offer to buy back these cars and buy em back for way more than they would have ever been worth otherwise.

From that point forward, coming here was a daily thing, just to make sure I hadn't missed anything I should need to know, and to be entertained really....

Had some great topics I closely watched and participated in, such as the topic of what would happen if someone went out AFTER the june settlement announcements and bought a used TDI ( or more than one ) just for the sole purpose of doing the buyback and turning a profit..... That was a wild ride of a topic, of course so many were SURE any TDI bought after 6-28 would not be eligible for any restitution and only a fix would be offered, of course they ended up being WRONG! Tdi's bought after 6-28 ended up being bought back and for full buyback values.

Then there is the still ongoing threads about stripping the car before turning it in, which more than anything I just keep going back to see if anyone ends up posting pics and video of them stripping their car and successfully turning it in.... Still waiting for that to happen!

Through this dieselgate forum I was able to connect up with two other TDI owners who gave me their spare tires ( I am turning my TDI in on spares, keeping the alloys! )

Anyways, yeah its been fun and been my #1 forum for the last 8-12 months. I had my 2013 jetta, and a 2012 jetta I bought after 6-28-16 to try to turn a profit on. Other than the wait for approvals on the various steps everything on the portal went trouble free and smooth for me. I already turned in the 2013 and have a buyback appointment in the first half of Jan for the 2012.

The forum has a different tone with everyone getting their offers and turning their cars in. No more what car are you replacing your TDI with, very little debate on fix or buyback, no more postings about what ifs concerning the court.... we are all slowly but surely getting this done and over with!

Once my 12 is gone, ill probably still log on from time to time, mainly to see if anyone turns in a stripped car! And also to see if the people that held off on doing the buyback till next year or 2018 end up getting screwed somehow someway.... I was considering keeping mine till 2018 but was scared of a accident totalling the car, and scared VW could go belly up or go back to court and get this thing reversed somehow. I decided to cash out ASAP and not take any chances.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Well, I have been coming to this site since about 2010, so it's a bit more for me. Although I hadn't come much recently before the scandal broke, unless I had a problem to mull over, it's nice to have a community to bounce ideas off and show off mods, DIY pics, and such. I am already getting that with my new car in the VWVORTEX forums. But there are some truly colorful characters here that I will miss without having a TDI nor much need to discuss it anymore. Like you, I will follow how the whole thing plays out but my car is already gone and I have moved on. I suspect there will be a remnant of diehards to still read and I will check in periodically to see what's happening, but the reality is that Dieselgate killed this community, to a large extent. :(

I would love to get another TDI at some point, but right now things are just too up in the air and uncertain.

Last edited:

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
I'm sorry...I stopped reading when you reported that the only way to find about the goodwill package was from this forum. Here's another "crazy" way...

Keep your address up to date with VWoA and snailmail arrives telling you about it...I know that's just a coo coo for Cocoa Puffs idea.

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I'm sorry...I stopped reading when you reported that the only way to find about the goodwill package was from this forum. Here's another "crazy" way...

Keep your address up to date with VWoA and snailmail arrives telling you about it...I know that's just a coo coo for Cocoa Puffs idea.
Oh, you mean the same VWoA that was supposed to mail out information about this whole settlement to owners? Yeah, never got a package for either car, and VWoA does have my current information...

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi

It was all over the Internet as well. This site should convert to a VW forum. I am sure a lot of members will buy new non-TDI VWs.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It was all over the Internet as well. This site should convert to a VW forum. I am sure a lot of members will buy new non-TDI VWs.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this site expanding its scope. There is currently a general automotive section and a general VW discussion section where owners of non-TDIs and non-VWs can discuss cars. If those sections grow, and non-TDI owners contribute financially to support the forums, you may see some expansion of those two sections.

Just my $0.02. I know Fred wants to keep this TDI related, but I also think he would be open to some expansion if it ended up supporting the primary mission.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I wonder if there was a forum of happy Bernie Madoff investors, and if so, how that forum changed after his fraud became public.

I have had two experiences with Volkswagen AG. The first was when I bought an Audi 5000 turbo, and then the unintended acceleration stories came to light. It seemed to have a timer built into it. Very reliable, until it hit 80,000 miles. Then everything, except the engine, failed, system by system.

The second was my 09 Jetta TDi. Sold back with 78,311 miles. It actually held up quite well, but at the time of turn in, it would have needed a 80K mile service, including DSG service, new summer tires, new snow tires, a new battery (it was still on the original) and I was fearful of that "all in one" exhaust system. So it was time.

I continue to follow some topics here. It looks like the buy backs are becoming more efficient and routine.

And I too want to see what happens when somebody tries to turn in a car with body panels and other major components missing. I would love to see a picture of the car on four spares, ready to be turned in.

ccbsecu

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Executive TDi
Through this dieselgate forum I was able to connect up with two other TDI owners who gave me their spare tires ( I am turning my TDI in on spares, keeping the alloys! )
You still owe me that beer:D

I'll take you for a quick spin in the 335d when we meet too.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
This place was really fun way back when I had my first TDI (1999 - 2003 or so)

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
You sure the problem was in VWoA's house and not your own?

More likely someone in your household tossed it out than VW didn't mail it.

Oh, you mean the same VWoA that was supposed to mail out information about this whole settlement to owners? Yeah, never got a package for either car, and VWoA does have my current information...

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this site expanding its scope. There is currently a general automotive section and a general VW discussion section where owners of non-TDIs and non-VWs can discuss cars. If those sections grow, and non-TDI owners contribute financially to support the forums, you may see some expansion of those two sections.

Just my $0.02. I know Fred wants to keep this TDI related, but I also think he would be open to some expansion if it ended up supporting the primary mission.
I would love to see the discussions in those forums continue / expand with TDI common rail alumni

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I would love to see the discussions in those forums continue / expand with TDI common rail alumni
Same here - there is a sense of community here that I would hate to lose. Then again, my wife plans to keep her 2015 Golf, so I would probably be here anyways.

Since I bought the Volvo, I have tried to find Volvo forums of some sort. And I have found about a half dozen, and most of them have hardly any traffic. Lot of people posting questions about the problems they are having, and not getting a response. The only forum I have found with a reasonable sized-community is in the U.K., which is fine, I guess, but I doubt that I will ever make it to any GTGs.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Same here - there is a sense of community here that I would hate to lose. Then again, my wife plans to keep her 2015 Golf, so I would probably be here anyways.

Since I bought the Volvo, I have tried to find Volvo forums of some sort. And I have found about a half dozen, and most of them have hardly any traffic. Lot of people posting questions about the problems they are having, and not getting a response. The only forum I have found with a reasonable sized-community is in the U.K., which is fine, I guess, but I doubt that I will ever make it to any GTGs.
Yeah I had a Volvo XC90 for over 6 years. It was quite annoying that there was no site with instructions on how to do maintenance on the car. Coming from a 4 Runner where every minute detail on any repairs on your car where easily available with photos and videos.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2

Agreed, Swedespeed is pretty lame and their mobile interface is horrible. There's nothing going on there. Me thinks they need a good scandal to generate activity.

Though I have no problem admitting I didn't spend a whole lot of time here after my initial few months of TDI ownership, other than looking up archived how-to posts.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well— I don't know if "sad" is a word I would use, but certainly one would expect things to be different on the forum as we pass through the various stages of Dieselgate and the attendant processes outlined in the CAS settlement...

kcompton

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi, 2006 Jetta TDi Pkg 1.
Stopped by the dealer here in Reno last night, got the oil changed on my 15 Jetta, I was very sad by what I saw on the lot, which is normally quite empty except for employee cars and ones for sale... the lot was nearly full, Sport wagens, Golfs and Jettas as far as the eye could see, each of them with TDi on the rear... I roll mine into the service lane, guy asks me if I am selling mine back, I told him, no I plan on keeping it till the day it drops dead, he smiled a little...

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have noticed replies to my threads on suspension, shocks, struts, sway bar,
alignment, have been slim. People have checked out.

Happiness is all between your ears, in your head, state of mind. There is
nothing to be sad about. Personally I am dealing with it by drinking heavily
(KIDDING).

What I am doing, is working on my TDI, new tires, new shocks and struts,
new 24mm rear sway bar, and new Westfalia hitch and vw trailer harness.
As far as I am concerned this never happened except for the $1000 of
maintenance supplies (filters, fluids) and parts I have for free. Plus my
warranty is good for another 30K on fuel pump. For Californians or
New Yorkers or wherever the car will be banned without rework (which
may not be possible) I feel for. I don't anticipate my state will ever ban
my TDI. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening. I plan on
driving another +100K which quite a few more years.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
It was even pretty good back in 2007 when I joined. :D One thing I won't miss is all the whiners and trolls that Dieselgate attracted to the Forums.

Amen! This is the first day I've got on the forum in almost a year and not hit the first dieselgate article which takes me to this part of the forum where I use the " mark thread read" button to hide all this whinny crap. Maybe it's almost over and we can go back to a decent help and be helped forum.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It was even pretty good back in 2007 when I joined. :D One thing I won't miss is all the whiners and trolls that Dieselgate attracted to the Forums.
Even in the midst of Dieselgate, I find that this forum has helped me quite a bit understanding our Passat (the first diesel we've owned) and DIYing some maintenance. As for all the dreck, well, welcome to the Internet. Just gotta find a way to filter it or plow through it. One thing— my ignore list had NOBODY on it prior to 9/15. Now, it's pretty long.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Amen! This is the first day I've got on the forum in almost a year and not hit the first dieselgate article which takes me to this part of the forum where I use the " mark thread read" button to hide all this whinny crap. Maybe it's almost over and we can go back to a decent help and be helped forum.
Agreed! Though it has been fun trying to understand the logic behind some of the replacement choices being made.
Having driven liquid-cooled VWAG products since 1973 and as a participant on this forum since the late 90s, I'm moving on but it's mostly for reasons of comfort, space and towing capacity. We'd have been happy with a new Golf or Jetta if the seats were more comfortable and they'd quit downsizing the Golf's luggage compartment. And a Sportwagen/Alltrack might have fit the bill but we need to have a 3500# tow rating... and more comfortable seats.
So, having moved our automotive locus ~850 kms northward, my heart and automotive savvy remain in the VW camp, with what might be considered a minor in Mazda.
I'll pop in for a visit from time to time after our buyback but I do want to say it's been fun. Thanks to all who helped make it so.

Last edited:

johncanfield

TDI
Sold back - 2014 TDI SEL
Since we're going to replace our Passat with a Ford Fusion Hybrid, I looked around for a forum and found a couple of them but they aren't real active like tdiclub. I think we are birds of a feather here because we like diesels, their fuel economy and I suppose because it isn't that common of a vehicle compared to the big three.

The other thought that occurred to me about the lack of traffic on the Fusion forum was perhaps because the Fusion Hybrid is a very stable car, i.e., well bug-free after being out for a few years. Just not a lot of things to discuss or gripe about. At any rate, we hope to be in ours this week so we can begin again with a new vehicle.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Since we're going to replace our Passat with a Ford Fusion Hybrid, I looked around for a forum and found a couple of them but they aren't real active like tdiclub. I think we are birds of a feather here because we like diesels, their fuel economy and I suppose because it isn't that common of a vehicle compared to the big three.

The other thought that occurred to me about the lack of traffic on the Fusion forum was perhaps because the Fusion Hybrid is a very stable car, i.e., well bug-free after being out for a few years. Just not a lot of things to discuss or gripe about. At any rate, we hope to be in ours this week so we can begin again with a new vehicle.
It's not an enthusiast car.....that is why the lack of traffic.

Donald

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's not an enthusiast car.....that is why the lack of traffic.
Eh, I don't know if that's the criteria... I was active on Accord forums before buying the Passat, and I've been on the Pilot forums once I decided to get one of those. Both were pretty active. I don't think many people are that enthusiastic about Accords or Pilots. :)

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Been here almost from the start, currently driving my 3rd and 4th VW diesels. The buyback $$$ on the 2013 JSW are too high to resist, but I'll be here and driving my 2003 Golf TDI until it rusts into the ground. This has been a great forum, and has saved my TDI and $$$ many a time!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Eh, I don't know if that's the criteria... I was active on Accord forums before buying the Passat, and I've been on the Pilot forums once I decided to get one of those. Both were pretty active. I don't think many people are that enthusiastic about Accords or Pilots. :)
I used to go the Lexus forums when we had one. The main topic was "which wax"?