RNS510 power issue

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
My RNS510 "A" - The complete front panel flashes on and off at varying rates. Staying on longer at times. Blinks off and come right back on. But the radio does not reboot and just resumes where it left off. Radio and functionality. Radio retuned to normal for 20 mins today and worked perfectly but has gone back to on and off. Has anyone encountered an issue like this? Firmware update was done while it was flashing and was completed but did not fix the problem.
Could my front panel be the issue? ribbon cable connection?
Could my antenna be shorting it out? It did display something about the antenna.
Is the power supply separate for the screen and the board?

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It's not the exact same thing, but I've experienced no screen or no sound on a number of occasions. So far, things work again if I reset the RNS-510. Sometimes I had to reset it a few times in a row, but fortunately it's come back every time so far. I've been impressed with the newer units with Apple CarPlay, but I love my RNS-510!

The reset is by holding the < > on the left side of the DVD slot and the moon symbol on the right side of the DVD slot.

on Flickr

Tattedpandora

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I have the same thing happening. Had the car about a year and half and after multiple heater cores my radio screen comes on but doesn't actually start up, just shows the logo. It will go black and come back on like every 10mins. But then I have a day or two that it does work. Ive tried the reset to no avail . any other ideas?