Review of aftermarket replacement key remote shell

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I recently dropped one of my remotes and broke the key ring bar. The romote had other dings and chips and had seen better days so I thought I'd restore both of my remotes.

Found this shell on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RJ3GBE
and while skeptical, I thought I'd get it even if it meant that the only part of it I used was the replacement key ring bar.

This came promptly for around $11.00 with free shipping. It appeared to be an identical clone of the OEM. I opened-up my battered remote, swapped-out the chip board, put-in a new battery, snapped it all back together and all done. All new case with original key and chip internals. Works excellently. Took about 2 - 3 minutes.

Highly recommended for those of you who have working remote parts but the housing/buttons/keyring bar is damaged or lacking.

autoelf92

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Make a "how to" possibly? Just got my new shell today and I'm kinda stumped on how to swap the internals lol...

autoelf92

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Okay, I have gotten pretty far, but how do I remove the Immobilizer? That thing is really stuck down in there.

desertpir8

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
I just did the same thing, only with a $6 shell & key blank off ebay. I ended up taking apart the key portion and swapping my cut key in place of the blank.. but I couldnt figure out how to get the immobilizer chip out, so ended up re-using the old half of that clamshell containing the chip.

Still worked great though and its nice to have a fresh remote!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I just bought a 2 button flip key with blade off ebay for £6, swapped over the internals and got the blade cut for £12, result.
For getting the chip out just cut around it with a knife, dremmel tool or use small cutters to snip the plastic away around it till it comes loose.

autoelf92

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I just ended up hacking it with a pair of wire cutters until I couldn't cut any more without damaging the chip. I then let it soak in hot water for 5 minutes and she popped right out. Thanks guys.