Resonator/Muffler Suggestions

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
First off is there a difference between a Resonator and a Muffler??? Seems to be the same item just named different.

I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust from the 2.5" TDIParts downpipe on my MKIV PD100 and want to continue atleast 2.5" all the way back or possible to to 3", but I think it might be overkill.
I'm looking for a Resonator or Muffler that would quiet things down just enough, so that I don't get annoyed on road trips or drone.

I need suggestions on what would work such as Magnaflow, Borla, etc. Links are always appreciated;)

I just don't want crazy loud exhaust once I ditch the rear exhaust piping and muffler. I like the sound I get now, but looking to lose weight and gain some performance along with a little more turbo whistle.:D

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Any type of resonator or muffler should do fine, make sure to place it in the stock muffler location toward the exhaust exit.

More important than muffler/resonator as far as drone goes is the location of the tip exit. If it projects out from under the car far enough drone will be much less than if it exits in the stock location or more under the car than stock. I have found this to be true from experience with different configurations on my TDI.

Here is the current configuration, no drone is audible on the high-way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOeqXXj7n9s

The use of a 2.5" hi-flow cat might obviate the need for muffler/resonator for noise reduction. Exhaust noise was significantly reduced when I replaced stock dp and no cat with a 2.5" dp and cat. Downstream is 2.5" w/ one resonator, now unnecessary. The resonator was just an OE replacement from the muffler shop, spec'd on some gasser along with a muffler and cat. This resonator internal design looks very similar to that of the muffler that came w/ my truck performance exhaust: directional hoods and "steel wool" packing.

I too would like to know what is the technical difference between a resonator and muffler.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply and I'll have to keep that in mind for the exhaust exit location.

Can anyone explain the difference between Resonator and Muffler.

Don't forget to give me some suggestions on brands or models of each to consider.:D

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
I cut off both on my TDI and there is barely any difference... I would just use a catalyst and leave the rest as a straight pipe.

Also here is a basic difference I found on the net somewhere:
Both are designed to lower noise.
A resonator ranges from a hollow chamber to a full muffler, but it primarily targets deflecting noise or noise cancellation.
A muffler usually has more structure and is pipey. It also deflects noise, but on top of that, its structure is aimed at absorbing noise.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
osomphane said:
I cut off both on my TDI and there is barely any difference... I would just use a catalyst and leave the rest as a straight pipe.

Also here is a basic difference I found on the net somewhere:
Both are designed to lower noise.
A resonator ranges from a hollow chamber to a full muffler, but it primarily targets deflecting noise or noise cancellation.
A muffler usually has more structure and is pipey. It also deflects noise, but on top of that, its structure is aimed at absorbing noise.
Thanks for defining what the differences are.

My DP doesn't have a Cat and I kind of want to keep it that way. I'm just looking for a Specific muffler or resonator that would quiet things down just a touch from going with all straight pipe.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I had a generic bullet-shaped resonator put on (from the local muffler shop), that took the harshness out. It's probably 20 inches long and 4 to 6 inches in diameter.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I may have found what I'm looking for. Now I just need to figure out what size resonator I want put in. :confused:

5" or 6" But what is weird is that the 6" is actually cheaper than the 5" go figure. lol

5" http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14866

or 6" http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14616

I did a little more searching an found this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247735 that really helped me. I just couldn't seem to find it the other day.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll let you guys know which one I decide to go with.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI

tcris3

TDI
1997 VW Passat
I wanted to update you...I got my aero turbine mounted today and i also gutted the cat. sound is great and not loud at all. i thought about getting the aero with the resonator but im glad a didnt. also ran the tail pipe straight out the back, there is no drone at all.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
tcris3 said:
I wanted to update you...I got my aero turbine mounted today and i also gutted the cat. sound is great and not loud at all. i thought about getting the aero with the resonator but im glad a didnt. also ran the tail pipe straight out the back, there is no drone at all.
Thanks for filling us on how you like your Aero Muffler. I order a 3" Muffler, also no resonator. I already have a 2.5" DP so I figured 3" would be perfect. Should sound pretty sweet too.:D

I might try a turn down tip, since I don't have a cut out in the rear valence for the exhaust. I'll find out how it sounds when I get the car back.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
3L3M3NT said:
First off is there a difference between a Resonator and a Muffler??? Seems to be the same item just named different.

I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust from the 2.5" TDIParts downpipe on my MKIV PD100 and want to continue atleast 2.5" all the way back or possible to to 3", but I think it might be overkill.
I'm looking for a Resonator or Muffler that would quiet things down just enough, so that I don't get annoyed on road trips or drone.

I need suggestions on what would work such as Magnaflow, Borla, etc. Links are always appreciated;)

I just don't want crazy loud exhaust once I ditch the rear exhaust piping and muffler. I like the sound I get now, but looking to lose weight and gain some performance along with a little more turbo whistle.:D
resonator:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler4.htm

muffler

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm

red1

TDI
1999 beetle
It's time for exhaust work or total upgrade on my 99 beetle TDI , when I looled online all I seem to find in the listings is jetta jatta jetta and some gas beetles , so far I'm only found one place that has the front so far I've only found one plays and they only have the front half of the pie it is in stainless but it's only the stock size on believe it was just under $300, and my back 1/2 and is not in as bad a shape if I can get by deleting the muffler and straight typing that, I'd like to do some upgreat(hp) to this car, at this time is still stock, can the stock size pip be holding me back after the muffler off,
does size mater?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
red1 said:
It's time for exhaust work or total upgrade on my 99 beetle TDI , when I looled online all I seem to find in the listings is jetta jatta jetta and some gas beetles , so far I'm only found one place that has the front so far I've only found one plays and they only have the front half of the pie it is in stainless but it's only the stock size on believe it was just under $300, and my back 1/2 and is not in as bad a shape if I can get by deleting the muffler and straight typing that, I'd like to do some upgreat(hp) to this car, at this time is still stock, can the stock size pip be holding me back after the muffler off,
does size mater?
You could install a TDIParts Downpipe. http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=124&products_id=1173

Then have the rest of the exhaust Custom made for your car at a muffler shop.

Some reading for you.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/4452/Jay_Kavanaugh_turbo_exhaust.pdf
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=247735

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
i'm very interested in this as well. right now i have no cat or muffler and plan on changing that. basically i want to compromise flow the least i can but keep the car quiet. i've thought of just running a cat, or just a muffler but no plans to do both. i'm guessing a cat will restrict the flow more?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
ndamico said:
i'm very interested in this as well. right now i have no cat or muffler and plan on changing that. basically i want to compromise flow the least i can but keep the car quiet. i've thought of just running a cat, or just a muffler but no plans to do both. i'm guessing a cat will restrict the flow more?
I'll update this thread when I get my car back. I decided on the Aero Turbine exhaust and went with the 3" muffler, so I'm pretty excited to see how it sounds and performs. Aero is claiming a 15% increase in fuel economy. A few key selling points for me is that the muffler is SS inside and out, so it will never rust and there is no muffler packing to blow out/replace, so it will outlast the life of your car.:D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
LOL a muffler increasing fuel economy. It's not April 1st.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I know they claim it, not you.

They also claim 10% HP increase with the AFE CAI they sell. My testing indicates otherwise.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to have a hard time judging if I'm going to get an increase in mpg or hp, since I'm adding quite a few things to my car at the same time. So I guess I'll see in a week or two.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
All I'm looking to do is replace my muffler for now. The rest of the system will have to wait. Currently I have a 2.5" straight pipe (36" long) rolling around in my trunk waiting to go in. I'm figuring that I'll need a turndown but in the meantime can I run the pipe straight out under the rear valance? If I do that first I'll then be able to determine where to cut the straight and have the turndown welded onto. I'm not a welder but I work with some welders and the garage I use doesn't give me welding options.
Is this a good short term solution?

I'm on a low budget. (who isn't, right? :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
tothemax said:
Did you install your aeromuffler? did it do anything to your fuel economy and power?
Yeah I got it installed. I have seen a gain in fuel economy, but I'm not sure if it's directly related to the Muffler itself, since I did so many mods at the same time, but all together I did see a 4 mpg increase initially and it seems to only be getting better, since I've gotten 42 mpg while running the winter blend of diesel. Which is also the best I got when making the road trip to Rocketchip in PA and back to WI.

I'll think I'll see a larger increase this summer. I'm sure getting the transmission and everything else "broken" in that it has helped.

I'm also still waiting on a tune from Jeff for my 6 speed so that will more than likely plan in as well.

I made a similar comment on this page in the initial 6 speed thread plus other mods. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265112&page=3&highlight=6+speed+Ecstacy

I should know how much power I'm putting down in a little less than a month and a half:D

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Yeah I got it installed. I have seen a gain in fuel economy, but I'm not sure if it's directly related to the Muffler itself, since I did so many mods at the same time, but all together I did see a 4 mpg increase initially and it seems to only be getting better, since I've gotten 42 mpg while running the winter blend of diesel. Which is also the best I got when making the road trip to Rocketchip in PA and back to WI.

I'll think I'll see a larger increase this summer. I'm sure getting the transmission and everything else "broken" in that it has helped.

I'm also still waiting on a tune from Jeff for my 6 speed so that will more than likely plan in as well.

I made a similar comment on this page in the initial 6 speed thread plus other mods. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265112&page=3&highlight=6+speed+Ecstacy

I should know how much power I'm putting down in a little less than a month and a half:D
did the 3" aero take out the rasp and drone?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Yeah, the 3" Aeroturbine muffler did the job of taking out any rasp and I don't have any drone. If you want to quiet it down even more, you could go with their Turbine XL version.
https://aeroexhaust.com/i-30497609-...r-3-inside-diameter-necks-moderate-sound.html

Otherwise you could always add one of their resonaters to really quiet it down.
https://aeroexhaust.com/c-1389193-resonators.html

Hopefully that helps.
thanks! the drone is loud especially going up hill on a 3" straight piped exhaust. I'll get the xl. does your non xl still sound mean?

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
thanks! the drone is loud especially going up hill on a 3" straight piped exhaust. I'll get the xl. does your non xl still sound mean?
Just out of curiosity, how are you running a 3” straight pipe in California?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
The XL should definitely do the trick to quiet things down.
Yep, the standard Aeroturbine muffler does sound pretty mean when you really get on it.
I'll have to see if I can find a video of it on the dyno to let you hear how it sounds.
It might take me a day or two to locate the video, since it's been a while since it's been on the dyno.