Repower a vanagon with what?

Repower a Vanagon with what?

• 1.9L "AAZ" TD.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fully electronic TDI with a Fast Forward harness conversion.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • TDI converted to mechanical injection w/modified Cummins 4BT pump from RabbitGTDJoe

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
Well the Mrs wants a minivan for her work. Would like to get a freindly debate going about the advantages and disadvantages of all of the above.

Also, has anyone had any experience dealing with www.qualitygermanautoparts.com ? Seems as though they AAZ engines that they're advertising aren't too bad of a deal, IF indeed they really are what they claim to be.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
Going the route of electronics with FastForwards setup makes it look really easy and fly. The homework looks as if it has been done there. To keep it simple. Its almost a "plug and play" harness to adapt the TDI electronics wiring/loom directly into the vanagon setup without all the hours of reading Bentley diagrams, cutting, splicing, heat shrinking, etc. it takes to wire in full electronics for other conversions otherwise.

I chose the route of mechanical on the TDI just from the standpoint that it kept an OldSchool feel to the conversion but also doesn't limit me in tunability when it comes down to maximum power. Not saying though that chipping does. I just believe personally when you weigh cost of electronics, chipping, custom mapping , turbo choices, etc. the mechanical route has alot higher ceiling for tunability and choices when it comes down to it. Custom mapping gets expensive unless you have the ability to do it on your own, and if you want to change, at the most you have two program choices at any given time.

For best fuel mileage, etc...its possible that electronics is the best way to go expecially since the electronic pump is so attuned to fine metering of fuel from the programming. I don't think mileage would be all that much greater...maybe 2 mpg or 3 depending on how you had them comparably setup.

The way I have the mTDI setup now I could adjust my pump timing in about 5 minutes from start to finish using the machined MKIV style pulley on the 4bt 12mm pump. That easy... nice crusing setup...then if I wanted to play for a little while it could easily be adjusted on the fly for a bit more fun. Same goes for the pump as well, full power adjust, star wheel adjust, etc. are all things easily learned and make things very tunable on these pumps.

Cost wise...depends on what you already have, etc. but I think it'd be comprable in the setup. AAZ engines are getting harder to find I've heard, going for 2.5k in CA salvage...

Anyways...my AM blurb... :) Good luck in choosing your route!

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 MKV Jetta DSG North Sea Green, Sugar Cube - 86 Vanagon Syncro AHU m-TDI
Joe,
How did you couple the engine to tranny? What clutch? I want to convert my '86 Syncro and Karl Mullendorf mentioned the use of the VW dual mass flywheel and clutch for a stronger hook up. I have yet to get Karl on the phone to get specifics. Fastforward is the only thing I've gotten details about but would rather not be limited to replacing with their parts. David seems to have the electrics figured out and, as you say, could save one much time but my inquizative side wants to do the harness work as well.

Could you, please, illuminate the engine, flywheel, bell housing, clutch issue for me? Thanks

Michael

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
In order to keep this post legitmate, I'd say you'd need to PM or email me and I can talk about engine specifics, etc.

On the end of the conversion...mine is into a MK1...so not a Vanagon but I have done some looking into (if gas prices continue to inspire me) converting my 72 Westy into a TDI...hmm...the thoughts :) Karl mentioned that last year.
I know there is also a debate with the angle at which to mount...believe there are a few different options there...

Since mine is an MK1 Rabbit, its a transverse mount application. The standard transmission bolts right up to it with a "built" unit coming next year with a LSD, all new synchros, hardened gears...etc. I could have gone the route of cable shift like later model cars but prefer the positive shift feeling of the 020 VW trannys compared to cable shift 02A and 02J.

The Dual mass flywheel would be something nice to get ahold of . As far as clutches...I believe there are several options out there offered on the market. Kennedy is one that comes to mind I believe. Vanagon specifically I can't say but for now I'm running a Centerforce 8v clutch and pressure plate. Again...information that is useless to the Vanagon application.

Let me know if you want engine specifics, etc. I can help you out there and am more than willing to talk. I mainly posted into this on the poll about "engines" and voted but of course...

To keep on topic though...i'll end there :)

Joe

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
From what I understand there is a premade kit to convert these. My mechanic says he can get the kit with the CARB paperwork. I believe his price is about eight grand installed.

Beta

Veteran Member
TDI
87 syncro westy alh
I'm using a kennedy adapter plate (recomend adding steel inserts to lower tranny mount pickups) and kennedy stage II clutch. Clutch is holding up well to rc4 and vnt 17. Cheap and smooth engagement. Electronics work well, vag-com is really nice. Electronics are a pita some times, but no more than the rest of the conversion.

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 MKV Jetta DSG North Sea Green, Sugar Cube - 86 Vanagon Syncro AHU m-TDI
michigandon said:
You're a freakin' masochist! :p :p :p
LOL Yah! I went to college because I liked the classes and quit because of the BS. Just wired a little different, I guess.