Report: Diesel Engine Coming to 2012 U.S. VW Beetle; Would You Buy One?

Vegged-Out

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2003 Jetta | 2011 BMW 335d | 2016 BMW Xdrive35d
wolfskin said:
And now for the REAL question, to you over the pond:

Would you prefer the 2.0TDI w/ 140hp and decent mpg, or the 1.6TDI with 105hp and mind-boggling mpg (60+ is achievable IMO)?

1.6 with increased MPG and use it as a commute car, plain and simple.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The 1.6 bluemotion is listed with 105 hp and 225 Nm (165 ft lbs) of torque.
The 1.9 is listed as 145 hp and 250 Nm (185 ft lbs) of torque.

My 1999 ALH had 90 hp and 209 Nm (154 ft lbs) stock (before bigger injectors went in...).

I'd take the 1.6; at least the same ummph as my ALH but even better fuel consumption.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I do not have a picture in my mind of what the next Beetle should look like. Maybe it will conjure an image of the original Beetle, or maybe not. Maybe it won't bear any resemblance, maybe it won't be called a Beetle.

But I would like it to make a particular kind of first impression: "Is that the new Porsche?"

Then when people hear "No, that's a Volkswagen", they'll just say "Wow....."

VW has an opportunity here to create something entirely new, something wonderful. I am not saying they should build this instead of bringing us the Polo or the Up! I still hope they will build the Bluesport, shown at the Detroit Auto Show last year.

In fact, maybe the Bluesport concept can be the starting point for a four-passenger NB replacement?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I had almost got this car out of my mind. Now I will have to start over. What a great looking car. My wife and I are saving up for a future little 2 seater to enjoy on nice days. She has always wanted a RX8 with 3 pedal and a sunroof in white. I am hoping that the Bluesport comes to market here in the US in the next couple years when we have saved the last dollar we need and I can accidentally drop by the VW dealership and let her drop the roof on one and take a test drive. She will forget all about that RX8. Besides I hear the RX8 will be discontinued soon.

TornadoRed said:
I do not have a picture in my mind of what the next Beetle should look like. Maybe it will conjure an image of the original Beetle, or maybe not. Maybe it won't bear any resemblance, maybe it won't be called a Beetle.

But I would like it to make a particular kind of first impression: "Is that the new Porsche?"

Then when people hear "No, that's a Volkswagen", they'll just say "Wow....."

VW has an opportunity here to create something entirely new, something wonderful. I am not saying they should build this instead of bringing us the Polo or the Up! I still hope they will build the Bluesport, shown at the Detroit Auto Show last year.

In fact, maybe the Bluesport concept can be the starting point for a four-passenger NB replacement?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Here is the Porsche Bluesport concept:

The VW Bluesport, and the Porsche Bluesport too, appear to be about the size of the A4 Audi TT -- too small for a 4-seater.

How to make the VW concept work as a basis for a Beetle replacement?
1) start with the current Mk6 platform -- width, wheelbase, height probably

2) raise the height 1-2 inches in the front, to fit a wider variety of engines, etc.

3) in the back, borrow some ideas from the Audi R8.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is another design idea for the back of the next-gen "Beetle".

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
What I really want for christmas is ...

A cheap TDI that gets 50+ MPG - PLEASE VW, bring it here !

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
tdijerry said:
i was told by my VW dealer that the 2010 beetle was the last year that they would be made is this true ? :(
Yes, the current NB body style will no longer be made after 2010. They will however replace it with something "beetle like". I've seen lots of concepts and none of which I've been extremely pleased with yet. When I first saw the NB in 1998, I knew I had to have it. Then they changed the body style ever so slightly in 2004/2005, not a fan. So I'm going to be a tough one to please with this new body....BUT if they bring it back in a TDI form....well then I may just have to consider it. I guess I'll wait and see what the definite design is going to be before I say whether or not I want one. Last thing I want is to own something as ugly as the Nissan Cube.

:vomit:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's one of the Business Week "50 Ugliest Cars of the Last 50 Years", the Corbin Sparrow (aka The Big Toe)

and one of the ugliest concepts, the Honda Fuya Jo (English translation is Frigidaire):

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
TornadoRed said:
Here's one of the Business Week "50 Ugliest Cars of the Last 50 Years", the Corbin Sparrow (aka The Big Toe)

Hey, if it got 100mpg, I wouldn't care about being seen driving one. :)

I'd be afraid to hit a raccoon with it, though....the raccoon might win.