Repair option

codeyell0

TDI
JSW
I see lots of info on the buy back but not on the repair.

Vehicle Buyback ESTIMATED TOTAL $17,388.37
But restitution ESTIMATED TOTAL $2,938.37 if i keep my car.

almost 3k if i keep my car i love my wagon. a new wagon will be a golf and that drives me nuts its a freaking jetta! since day 1 as i know it a jetta has a trunk and a golf is a hatchback, anyway. I still owe 15k on my jetta. so keeping the car look better to me

That said i don't really see info on that option. Whats going on on that side of things.
Sorry I have not scoured the forums just browse when i get off work.

Anyone taking this option? or wants to?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
You're not seeing anything on 'the repair' because nothing is broken. Look for discussions on ' the fix' (or not taking the buyback) which are all over this forum. And many owners are leaning toward that if one gets approved. Gen 3's look the most promising. Don't know what you own, but you apparently bought it after the scandal.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
You have 3 options.

1. Buyback -- VW gets your car and pays you the amount you noted.
2. Fix -- If and when there is a fix, you can get the fix done, and at that time you will get your restitution money
3. Opt out -- You get no money and if there is a fix you can get that option.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Opt out is no longer an option unless and until VW announces that a fix will not be approved. The deadline otherwise was 16 September. If you opt out, you reserve the right to sue on your own. But there's another option you didn't mention:

4. Do nothing. Don't opt out, don't sell the car back, don't have the fix done (if it's approved anyway), don't get any money. Just drive the car as usual.

@codeyell0, in the rest of the world, that car has always been a Golf. It's only in the US that it's ever been called a Jetta. The "JSW" is a hatchback, just like the Golf, but with a longer cargo area. They're great cars, and it's hard to find a direct replacement, but if you're OK with the gasser, don't worry about the Golf label rather than Jetta.

codeyell0

TDI
JSW
@codeyell0, in the rest of the world, that car has always been a Golf. It's only in the US that it's ever been called a Jetta. The "JSW" is a hatchback, just like the Golf, but with a longer cargo area. They're great cars, and it's hard to find a direct replacement, but if you're OK with the gasser, don't worry about the Golf label rather than Jetta.
Golf came out in 74 and jetta 79 when they added a trunk.
it has many names over the world
Atlantic, Vento, Bora, City Jetta, Jetta City, GLI, Jetta, Clasico, Voyage, and Sagitar. But everything i know it has always been a different car. the jetta was produced for the american market.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

almost 3k if i keep my car i love my wagon. a new wagon will be a golf and that drives me nuts its a freaking jetta! since day 1 as i know it a jetta has a trunk and a golf is a hatchback, anyway. I still owe 15k on my jetta. so keeping the car look better to me

That said i don't really see info on that option. Whats going on on that side of things.

the minimum compensation is $5100. so your figures are low for either the buyback or accepting the fix.

You did not share the model year of your car, but from the values it is an early one, with miles.

the fix is expected around the first of the year. (more or less)

so by the spring, you could probably have the fix applied and apply $5100 to your loan.

I plan on getting the fix and driving the car for a while.

(Just a cheap guy who wants to get my moneys worth from the lifetime Sat radio subscription, which they no longer offer)

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
the minimum compensation is $5100. so your figures are low for either the buyback or accepting the fix)
$5100 is the minimum restitution if the car was acquired before 18 Sep 15. A purchase after that gets $2550 minimum. That must be the case here.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Good point. I ignored that case in my response. (OP loan balance of $15k should have provided a clue)

the fix should still be an option, with $$$ and a warranty extension.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
the jetta was produced for the american market.
No. It is/was also known as Jetta at various times throughout the world. I believe one of the middle models back in the late 80s or early 90s was "Jetta" in Germany and it became Bora and maybe some other stuff later on, but is once again "Jetta" in Germany as well.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
No. It is/was also known as Jetta at various times throughout the world. I believe one of the middle models back in the late 80s or early 90s was "Jetta" in Germany and it became Bora and maybe some other stuff later on, but is once again "Jetta" in Germany as well.
My understanding is that the "A" platform sedan was sold as a Jetta in North America for all generations, but in some markets (I believe Europe) different generations had different names, with 3rd generation being "Vento", and 4th generation being "Bora".