Renewable Lubes Inc BioSyn 5w40

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
3 different labs... 3 different methods of testing.

Dyson through himself (not blackstone-Dyson deal) is $60 which also includes an audio recording of him explaining the results.

For example: Iron & Aluminum, he assumes it is residual plumbing material at RLI's production facility.

Variation in flash is due to Open vs. Closed -- gives 2 different results.

I like the support Dyson provides and will stick with him for subsequent UOA's on the RLI oil.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
According to Terry, the iron & aluminum are are probably from the piping of the manufacturing facility. It is insignificant to him. Though keep in mind, since we have a VOA of the batch sample (call it the baseline or control sample), you have something to compare against for UOA.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
20IndigoBlue02 said:
According to Terry, the iron & aluminum are are probably from the piping of the manufacturing facility. It is insignificant to him. Though keep in mind, since we have a VOA of the batch sample (call it the baseline or control sample), you have something to compare against for UOA.
But Terry's sample showed iron at 3, which I think would be fine as well, the other sample showed 12, which is 4 times exactly more.

What gives?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
As you can see the differences between the 3 test labs, each do things a little differently which yields different results.

The most important thing is when documenting UOA's, is stick to a single lab.

Comparing Dyson to Blackstone to OAI results is comparing apples to oranges.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Necrobumping this thread back up. I've recently taken an interest in RLI Biosyn oil again, since both their 5w40 and 15w40 are suitable for CJ-4.

The viscosity index on their 5w40 is more like a 0w40, and the their 15w40 (like other synthetic 15w40s) is more like a 5w40 or 10w40.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
*bump*

Anyone at all using this in their TDI?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Bob are you gonna go with the 15w40?

Want to do the UOA for us too? =)
The 5w40. My lack of attention when ordering from Amazon netted me the CI-4+ instead of CJ-4 as I'd really wanted...

I quit doing UOAs 2 years ago. I've run a variety of "allowable" oils over the years, all were fine.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I would be really interested in trying this too although I am pretty hesitant in my PD engine. Also, ordering this to Canada would NOT be cheap!

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Any opinion on using this in my PD engine? I know to stick with 5w40 but I do not see one that is CJ-4 only CI-4. My limited understanding of oils is that PDs should use 5w40 CJ-4 oil. Correct?

I think I have found a local distributor in Canada and would like to give it a try but it does frighten me a bit in the oil finicky PDs...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Any opinion on using this in my PD engine? I know to stick with 5w40 but I do not see one that is CJ-4 only CI-4. My limited understanding of oils is that PDs should use 5w40 CJ-4 oil. Correct?

I think I have found a local distributor in Canada and would like to give it a try but it does frighten me a bit in the oil finicky PDs...
They have both CJ-4 and CI-4+ versions.

http://www.renewablelube.com/synxtra/HDMO/Bio-SynXtra HD PLUS SHP SAE 5W40 Motor Oil LA.pdf

http://www.renewablelube.com/synxtra/HDMO/Bio-SynXtra HD SHP SAE 5W40 Motor Oil.pdf

CI-4+ is what PDs were originally "test-run" with from for those using API truck oils back then. Excellent results.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=129373

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=174007

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205808

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
So which oil would you suggest trying out? The CI-4+ or the CJ-4 version?

Unfortunately the Canadian distributor local to me that I found has told me it is "against their policy to import it"... It will cost about $30 to ship a gallon up here from Amazon! Still looking for alternatives.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
So which oil would you suggest trying out? The CI-4+ or the CJ-4 version?

Unfortunately the Canadian distributor local to me that I found has told me it is "against their policy to import it"... It will cost about $30 to ship a gallon up here from Amazon! Still looking for alternatives.
Alternative oils to use?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
No, no. I know there are many alternate oils to use (I have used Total quartz, motul specific, Fuchs Titan, Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 TDT all with good results!). I meant an alternate supplier of the RLI oils in Canada. I have found one in Ontario. Just waiting on a quote with shipping. I was hoping acklands granger who has a local outlet could save me money getting this oil by cutting out the shipping even with their large mark up.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The 5w-40 costs 49.00 Canadian a gallon from the Ontario supplier. it is a highly specialized oil. TooSlick knows why it was developed.

I have a follower problem that I think one of there products can solve. When the black coating breaks through on my cam followers the surface scores and then galls and tears metal: the famous wear dot phenomenon.

I am trying out the Bio-syn booster pack. By adding it to your favorite Cj4 oil you can up the anti wear by double, equal to 2000 parts of zddp but actually only increasing the ash to 1.12 % from the original 1%. i need this kind of boost to get all my followers thru the galling stage a black coating break through.

http://www.renewablelube.com/TDS/89000 Bio-SynXtra Engine Booster Pak.pdf

Here is what my followers look like now. They are at various stages of wear because #1 #2 and #3 exhaust have been replaced as they are the worst to gall.

I have added 10% by volume to my cj4 oil and this has brought the anti-wear up to 1900 to 2000 ppm and I expect to do an oil change every 16000 kilometers as normal.

The hobs ester is very noticeable because the hotter the engine the quieter the motor. At 5% you don't notice a lot but increase it to 10% and the motor is unbelievably quiet. i assume the hobbs ester is much thicker than the group III at the 90C plus engine temperature of the head.

You can see all the intake followers are ready to break through the coating and some of the circular tell tale scoring is showing as the coating becomes very thin and starts to flake and score the underlay metal.

Should be interesting test of the product.

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
www.renewablelubes.com

There was a thread were some people were looking at it last year, but nothing much since.

the Biosyn 5w40 formula was funded by a RS4 owner who's tired of under- achieving VW specification oils...

The base of the oil is High Oleic Base Stock (HOBS), made from vegetable oils.

It supposed to meet all the latest & greatest API diesel specifications

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1173821
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=893022

I ordered some of this for my Passat 2.0t, because I'm not particularly happy with 502.00, 505.01, & 504/507 oils for my car specifically, due to fuel dilution and more annoying, oil burn (it's practically 1 quart per 2500 miles for the 504/507 oil)--- I was gonna go with Amsoil DEO, but stumpled on this on BITOG, and decided to go for it.

I do plan a UOA on my on the fresh oil also (and my used oil when I hit 5k miles on this oil).
I've been using the renewable lubes biosyn 5w40 for over a year now and it has been great. I haven't bothered sending any to the lab because I know my cars run better on it. Also I've only done one oil change in the last year, I only put about 10,000 miles on the car last year, and the oil seemed to have a good texture all the way to the end. I'm only a couple thousand miles into my new oil right now. It is expensive oil, but I think it's worth it with the length of service this oil provides. I run their 10w40 and their ATF in my 2001 Jeep too.

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
Very glad to see reviews on this oil. I certainly would have bought some to test but acklands-granger Canada will not stock it or order for me locally. Buying from the Ontario supplier would have nearly doubled the cost due to shipping even buying a case. I hope I can buy this soon for a reasonable price!

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I really want to try this stuff but can't justify the cost of the engine oil so I ordered a couple small bottles of the "biosynxtra bosster pack" an oil additive. We'll see how it goes!
http://www.renewablelube.com/TDS/89000 Bio-SynXtra Engine Booster Pak.pdf
Otty, This additive is fine when added in the proper amount. I talked to Molakul over at BITOG on this and he is suggesting 3%( (1) 8 ounce bottle is 5% by volume) by volume for a normal wearing cam which is what you have.

This amounts to an additional 265 parts of antimony and enough Hobbs ester carrier to coat the journal surfaces. The ester is polar. Amsoil adds an ester to its oils to help counter the effects of the non polar PAO.

The hobbs ester should reduce start up wear and that is what you should be hoping for, especially the cam where the antimony and zddp will protect on start up as well. This amount only adds .04% by volume to your ash level of the oil your adding it to.
This explains my problem a little bit more if you are wondering.

If you really like the additive and you think it is working ( a couple of uoa would be ideal) you can buy a gallon of the booster pack for exactly half the cost of the small 8 ounce bottles of the same amount. That would last you for 40 oil changes at 3% or 25 at 5% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty cheap after all.

Last edited:

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
I just had an oil analysis done by Terry Dyson and he recommended that I consider trying this oil in my 2004 TDI. I do trust his advice.

Any thoughts from those that have used it?