Release date of new Jetta SportWagen TDI?

jjbrooks75

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagon
Just bought a warrantee from the dealership, decided that I did want some extended coverage after the fact. I got 7 years, 100,000 miles at 0% for 18 months for $2023. Seemed pretty good to me.

czar

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW; '03 Beetle GLS
RUSHtheBUS said:
Did I miss something? I can't find where it says presold. If I did, I'm sorry.
Nope, but I called and was told they could place an order for one if I was interested.

QSHIPWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI SPORTWAGEN
Well, here goes nothing!

Frugality was nice enough to walk me through how to post a picture via a PM, so, in trying it out, and because you are wagon fans... right?

And its so off topic I need my hand slapped (thanks for the indulgence).

This is a rare one. There were only 149 imported into the US and this is probably one of the top 2 or three examples left. It really does do a quarter mile in less than 15 seconds without beating on it. It's a 2.3L making about 275HP chipped and mated to a 5 speed stick (the ONLY way it came). There were NO options, you just picked the color and "Sport" or "Comfort" seats. It was over $42K in 1991 when new which no doubt is at least partially responsible for its rarity. I believe it was Motor Trend that said in an original review: "If Lamborghini built a station wagon, this would be it." The orginal headlights were so bad they were even mentioned in reviews. I replaced them with the European lights and wiring. The front brakes are known as UFO's because the rotors look like discus style spaceships. The calipers are mounted inboard to give them more surface area on the rotor inside a 15 inch wheel. Why a 15 inch wheel? The 15 inch wheels are orginal forged BBS alloys which are as light as a feather and give very low unsprung weight. The car is now lowered with H & R Springs and Bilstein Sports. It's no MR2 and does have the characteristic Quattro understeer along with its behemoth size but it is remarkably agile. I've actually driven it at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Circuit du Mont Tremblant. The engine is a Audi's venerable in-line 5cyl. 20v turbo and was the precurser to the original S4's and S6's which had the identical engine. That same engine technology and design could also be found in later Volvo 850's and still can be found today in Volvo's latest turbo models with very minor changes. I have owned 3 of the 149 including this one. The others ( I suspect ) have long since retired. I have owed 3 of the 149 sold including this one which I purchased in 2004 with 53,000 miles from the widow of the original owner in Florida. Prior to being in Florida the car was used as the family's "Summer Car" at their lake house in Minnesota and suffered no winters. It was my lifetime "find in the barn." The widow was saving her former husband's 911 for their daughter when she graduated from college.... lucky girl...

It is my daily driver and even though its Quattro I store it for 4 months each winter. Don't much care if its the last car I ever own if 25MPG doesn't get too expensive.... and the leather is about as thick as my hand. I never see myself coming down the street and I have a lot of interesting conversations at gas stations.....

Oh, the license plate? I also have QUATTRO, and used to have WAYB4A4 on my '86 4000.....

An interior shot with my number 1 son....

Cheers to you FRUGALITY (you've created a monster) and thanks to the Moderator for cutting me some slack in advance!

Last edited:

jjbrooks75

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagon
OK so here is a bit more info about the warrantee I bought today... 7 year, 100,000 mile for $2023 (financed for 18 months at 0% outside of car loan).

When I was first with finance (buying the car) 3 days ago, they started me at 6 years 100,000 for $2895, then went to 6 years 72000 miles for $2495 which eventually got down to $1795. I said no at the time but after thinking about it I figured why not. So I called today a few days later and with a little negotiation got 7 year 100,000 miles, $2023 at 0% for 18 months. It's transferrable, you can go to any mechanic once over 36k miles and if you dont use it they will reimburse you. Probably worth the expense. Even if only to boost the value of the car if you intend to sell it at sometime prior to expiration of the warrantee.

I guess the lession is play coy if you want the extended warrantee, make them come down and dont be afraid to walkout because you can come back and get it later.

Hopefully the warrantee gods don't strike me down for posting this info.

Last edited:

Dr. Piech

Veteran Member
TDI
none
TDImeek said:
They do have amber rear blinkers (the bulb that is).
Here's a good photo where the amber is bulb is clearly visible on the outside edge of the clear lens. The clear reverse bulb is on the inside half of the clear lens closest to the license plate.
http://images.dealer.com/evox/stills_0320/5378//5378_st0320_044.jpg
That's why I asked: looking at the rear light clusters on the cars at the dealership, it looked like there's an amber bulb in there, but I didn't want to ASSume. So, someone with a JSW take a freakin' photo of their car with the hazard lights flashing, to settle this once and for all!

No, not you QSHIPWAGON! :)

Actualsizeaudio

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH, 2013 JSW
Today I looked at a gasser sport wagon and talked to the dealer about a TDI sport wagon.

One thing I found very, very interesting. The cargo mat from the back of my B5 Passat wagon fit perfectly in the back of the sport wagon.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
yes there is amber

Dr. Piech said:
That's why I asked: looking at the rear light clusters on the cars at the dealership, it looked like there's an amber bulb in there, but I didn't want to ASSume. So, someone with a JSW take a freakin' photo of their car with the hazard lights flashing, to settle this once and for all!

i will take a photo tomorrow. camera phone went dead as i was trying to snap one for you, but i can say that there is AMBER!!!!

jjbrooks75

TDI
2009 jetta sportwagon
Dr. Piech said:
Oooo, that's a hot piece of information. I didn't want to give up much (if any) cargo space by "downgrading" from a B5 Passat wagon to an A5 Jetta wagon, so that's good to hear.
So what, is the only difference betweeen the Passat Wagon and the Jetta Wagon back seat legroom?

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Hazard lights

Dr. Piech said:

Definitely amber blinkies, even the little side view mirror light is amber. Bonus points to anyone able to recognized both other cars in the garage. The yellow one on the left might be really tough. It is a '69 something, guess what.
John F
LV, NV

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
barshnik said:

Definitely amber blinkies, even the little side view mirror light is amber. Bonus points to anyone able to recognized both other cars in the garage. The yellow one on the left might be really tough. It is a '69 something, guess what.
John F
LV, NV
Miata and Triumph? MG? Oooh! It's a 98 Watchamacallit!

Last edited:

kynimrod

TDI
'09 Sportwagen TDI
Yellow car on left is a Datsun 2000 roadster me think!
I picked up my sportwagen yesterday from dealer in Nashville.
Black manual 6-speed pano 17" alloys
love it!!

TDIGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
--
Dr. Piech said:
Oooo, that's a hot piece of information. I didn't want to give up much (if any) cargo space by "downgrading" from a B5 Passat wagon to an A5 Jetta wagon, so that's good to hear.
I was all set to give up on the Sportwagen and get a pre-loved late-model TDI Passat wagon (the car I have always wanted) when the husband made me crunch numbers 'cause that's the kind of guy he is. The JSW actually has more cargo room than the Passat! :eek: My backseat passengers are canine, so they care more about cargo space than legroom anyhow. And I think they'll like the pano sunroof, too. Now if only we could actually buy the darned car!

And very sweet wagon there, Qship!

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
somethings missing

joshgregory said:
Hey coolbreeze, did your JSW come with the crome exhaust tips?
i am glad you asked. i thought all jsw came with chrome tips, so i almost did not go out and look. i was just going to reply and say yeah it has them, but low and behold NO CHROME TIPS. i will have to research this because i thought it was standard. thanks josh

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Courtesy of 'not timmins' in the 2009 TDI thread. I think this one looks way better in real life than the hoary gray of the bottom picture in the 'build you own' section.

(it's not very often you get to use the word 'hoary' in a sentance. :) )

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
kynimrod said:
Yellow car on left is a Datsun 2000 roadster me think!
I picked up my sportwagen yesterday from dealer in Nashville.
Black manual 6-speed pano 17" alloys
love it!!
We have a winner!!! I didn't think anyone would get it...

John F
LV, NV

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite color

It seems to be very difficult for a digital camera to correctly capture the color that the eye sees. In some light, the car looks exactly like the color shown on VW's site, but in different sun angles and intensity is looks much more blue, or sometimes grey, sometimes greenish.

Here is a shot using calibrated manual white balance, this is very close to what my eye saw at that moment. Nearly identical to the picture on 'built your own.'

ps - the color of the Datsun is a stock mid '60's VW beetle yellow, this paint job is 20 years old now...
I've noticed since this came up that in mid morning or late afternoon, the Graphite Blue of the JSW looks nearly identical to the color on the VW website, but at noon in direct sun it looks more like my original posting. The later in the evening it gets, the more green-ish purple-ish it looks. Imagine that, another blue sky in Las Vegas. It's been over 6 months since we've had a drop of rain in our area in NW LV.

The canoe in the garage shot - it was found half buried in a neighbors yard, he didn't even know where it came from. I bought it for $75, turned out to be hand made by a custom maker in the Flathead Valley in Montana (Greg Morley). He cranks out about 20 per year at many thousands of $$ each.
http://www.missoula.com/news/node/377
If you think the waiting list for JSW's is bad, his is measured in the 'years'. It cleaned up nice, and was a good find <g>.

John F

Last edited:

John06jetta

TDI
06 jetta And 2009 JSW
I just got my call. Graphite Blue, Manual, Pano, Mat Kit, and 17in wheels. 28,329 out the door. I am so excited. I cannot wait for the wife to get out of class so I can tell her.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
RE: Color. Man, have I got the blues

Apart from those who live great distances from the dealerships, why not just go and look for these colors in the existing gasser Jettta's? They're easy to find near me and you won't get a better impression any other way. I would say the Platinum is a darker grey than the "stone" grey that has been popular with the B5 (ours). IMO, colors that are dark enough that can fake you for black in twilight are cool. I can't figure out why VW wouldn't do beige with their blue graphite? "Midnight metalic blue on saddle tan" was always my favorite Porsche combo. They've had more blues over time than you can shake a stick at. Love 'um (Midnight/Beige, Prussian, nautic/ocean, Iris, Lapis, diamond, and who could forget the riviera that appeared in the jelly bean commercial).

jgfilms

TDI
2009 Sportwagen (on order)
Nav shortage/problem at factory?

i had a blue wagen (just like those pics) on order and dealer called me today to say germany has stopped taking orders for TDI with the RNS510 nav - apparently they're having a problem or something with them. i sadly have delayed my order for another month or so hoping they'll resolve the issue.
has anyone heard anything about this? i want my sportwagen
jg
:confused:

Last edited:

KROUT

persona non grata
I just drove a new jetta sedan. I am impressed with the pickup the car has. I only drove it on a road with a 45mph speed limit. The engine is nice and quiet. You cant tell the car is diesel when its at idle or driving.
I might have to get the wife one of these.

Dr. Piech

Veteran Member
TDI
none
barshnik said:

Definitely amber blinkies, even the little side view mirror light is amber.
Thanks John, you made my day. Back when I was thinking of getting a B6 Passat, I was miffed at the change to red turn signals, and was ready to spring the extra coin for Euro amber turn signal clusters. Now I won't have to do something silly like that (plus I'll get a TDI too, since VW cannot seem to shoehorn a TDI motor into a B6 Passat for the North American market).

So, I assume the brake lights are the red lenses above the larger tail light lenses in the middle of the light clusters? I also prefer separate tail/brake lamp functions (yeah, I'm anal about my lighting needs).

Last edited:

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
<<So, I assume the brake lights are the red lenses above the larger tail light lenses in the middle of the light clusters? I also prefer separate tail/brake lamp functions (yeah, I'm anal about my lighting needs).>>

Correct.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
MrSprdSheet said:
Apart from those who live great distances from the dealerships, why not just go and look for these colors in the existing gasser Jettta's? They're easy to find near me and you won't get a better impression any other way. I would say the Platinum is a darker grey than the "stone" grey that has been popular with the B5 (ours). IMO, colors that are dark enough that can fake you for black in twilight are cool. I can't figure out why VW wouldn't do beige with their blue graphite? "Midnight metalic blue on saddle tan" was always my favorite Porsche combo. They've had more blues over time than you can shake a stick at. Love 'um (Midnight/Beige, Prussian, nautic/ocean, Iris, Lapis, diamond, and who could forget the riviera that appeared in the jelly bean commercial).
The Graphite Blue is so predominately grey in nature that I think a grey interior is a better match than beige - but that is just me. The combo of a blue-grey exterior, black interior bits (dash, etc.) and grey seats / carpet seems a better match - no offense to Porsche or to you. My opinion only.

John F
LV, NV

SuperGator

TDI
none at this time
What dealer?

John06jetta said:
I just got my call. Graphite Blue, Manual, Pano, Mat Kit, and 17in wheels. 28,329 out the door. I am so excited. I cannot wait for the wife to get out of class so I can tell her.
John, who was the dealer?