Recommendation for wheel bearing replacement

rw3iss

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI 2.0L BHW
Hiyas. Got into an (almost serious) accident this past weekend, slid out at 80mph, across the median, landed on the side of the road. Luckily the car is fine, except I needed all new rims and at least one of the wheel bearings are "wobbling". Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement wheel bearings, recommendations, or things I should watch out for? I'm just wondering if a DIY job is attainable, or if I should have it taken somewhere to fix.

Here's a list of bearings that are compatible with my vehicle:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...partswarehouse.com&query_type=Product+Results

Also, does anyone know how much a wheel bearing replacement job usually runs at a shop, per wheel?

Thanks.

Last edited:

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Published labor rate is about 2 hours for each front bearing and 1 hour for each rear bearing. FAG bearings are the best choice. Try to stay away from the Chinesium. Probably not a DIY job unless you have a bearing press and some other shop tools.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Yes the rear bearings can be purchased as an assembly- and you will want that because chances are pretty good the wobble you are experiencing is actually a bent hub rather than a bad bearing. The front bearings must be pressed in and out. And you should probably buy new hubs for the front if you suspect that one is bent.

rw3iss

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI 2.0L BHW
OK... Shop that replaced the rims said it was a rear bearing. I dunno, I guess bet bet would be to take it to another shop and have them confirm and do the repair. Would rather get my own hands dirty but I don't have a lot of experience in this department.

squishbang

TDI
'98 NB manual, '05 Passat manual
Wheel bearings CAN be damaged in a collision, however, the parts that actually locate the wheels are much more likely to cause a "wobble". The steering knuckles and rear axle need to be inspected visually and checked with an alignment machine.