Rebuilt and salvage Buy backs?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
my understanding is you will need to have the car rebuilt first, the whole point is to take operable vehicles off the road. But that depends on when it was put on the salvage title.
Let me be honest here. ^^^ I did not ask you. I am well aware of those facts, that's why I'm trying to get an answer from someone who has an appointment already scheduled...

Mine was salvaged on 12/8/16 FYI, but I'm not really looking for opinions.......I need facts
Please!!! :(

purduecrew

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Let me be honest here. ^^^ I did not ask you. I am well aware of those facts, that's why I'm trying to get an answer from someone who has an appointment already scheduled...

Mine was salvaged on 12/8/16 FYI, but I'm not really looking for opinions.......I need facts
Please!!! :(

I smell BS.

If it is your car, then you had to have registered it to have had it on the road to total it, no?

If you did in fact have it registered, then it is of course registered and this is a mute point. Am I wrong?

The only way you can turn in a salvage car that is non-running and get anything is here:

"If you currently own an Eligible Vehicle and the vehicle is inoperable, your eligibility depends on when the car became inoperable. If your vehicle was not operable on September 16, 2016, then you are not eligible to receive benefits under the Settlements. If your vehicle was operable on September 16, 2016 and has since become inoperable, you may be eligible to receive the Eligible Owner Restitution Payment but are not eligible for the full Buyback amount or an Approved Emissions Modification. Proof of operability on certain dates will be required.

If you restore your car to operability—at your expense—you may be eligible to receive the full Buyback amount or an Approved Emissions Modification, whichever you select."

Pretty clear. You cant buy this wrecked car you found and turn it in for full buyback as a wreck. You either fix it to register it or turn it in for restitution.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
You are correct.

I purchased the car with a salvage title but still able to run and drive.

A dealer can submit a bill of sale for a salvage car instead of a registration, and sell it back for the full price as long as it is operable.

I'm curious if others have been able to do the same, without being a dealer.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
And I do own it right now, whether you believe me or not. - You want me to upload the title to make you feel better?

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
turned mine in today. Prior salvage- I fixed it prior to the scandal and had a reconstructed title. Turned it in today- no problems.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
turned mine in today. Prior salvage- I fixed it prior to the scandal and had a reconstructed title. Turned it in today- no problems.
Congrats! The pertinent dates and details would be really helpful, i.e. Salvage date, purchase date, operability on 9/16/16, etc..

:)

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
sorry- i don't have specific dates handy but salvage occurred prior to my purchase and I reconstructed it. All these things occurred prior to publication of the scandal. The car was operable on 9/16/16 and was today when I turned it in.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Did you have to upload proof of government issued registration in your name?
Yes, uploaded my drivers license, title, and registration. In my case all match. No liens. Also, my salvage branding occurred in 2014. Re-registered in my name in 2014 after fixing the car myself.

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
You are correct.

I purchased the car with a salvage title but still able to run and drive.

A dealer can submit a bill of sale for a salvage car instead of a registration, and sell it back for the full price as long as it is operable.

I'm curious if others have been able to do the same, without being a dealer.
When I purchased my salvaged vehicle in 2014 it came with a salvage certificate, not a title. Title is only granted once I was able to register it - which meant brake/light inspection and then DMV inspection.

The branded title shows when it was registered. I don't think you'll be able to sell back a car that isn't registered because you're supposedly not legally driving it anyway. My salvage certificate wrecked car could drive on its own too when I first obtained it but that's just coincidence.

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
buyback

From reading on some others experience and my own, they are buying back salvage and rebuilt, I have a 12 Passat all green check marks done waiting on final documents, I have owned this car since 13. As soon as I get update or the turn in, I will update.

Sounds like they need to have 85% off the road by a certain date if not they are fined millions per day, so its in their best interest to buy back as many as they can. I don't believe there ever will be a fix to satisfy the epa especially in California, but will all have to wait, see and speculate.

All vw dealers cannot turn in any tdis, only used car dealers that have them may turn in, is what I'm seeing, but I could be wrong. A lot of people have their thought and feelings on this but the proof is in the pudding, so far both clear, and rebuilts have been turned in successfully. Good Luck Everyone.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, Thats correct from what I've heard.

I think the only way to return a car with a salvage (Not rebuilt) title is to,

1.Be a dealer so you don't have to submit a registration, or,

2. Be an owner who had the car registered before the title was salvaged (so you can submit your old registration).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is able to return a car with a salvage title, who did not fall into those two categories.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Yes, Thats correct from what I've heard.

I think the only way to return a car with a salvage (Not rebuilt) title is to,

1.Be a dealer so you don't have to submit a registration, or,

2. Be an owner who had the car registered before the title was salvaged (so you can submit your old registration).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is able to return a car with a salvage title, who did not fall into those two categories.
Response to 1: I don't think that is true. If it's not registered it won't have a title, at least in my state of ca.

Response to 2: That's incorrect. I bought my car wrecked from Copart in 2014 via a 3rd party. It came with a salvage certificate/bill of sale. I fixed it. I got inspections completed. I registered it. I received a title, branded "salvage", along with a registration cert only after everything was completed.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
1. My state has a Salvage Title......looks just like a regular title, except it says salvage.

2. If you had it inspected, then what you submitted was what my state would call a rebuilt title..... not a salvage title.

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
buyback

I have all the check marks on my 12 Passat salvaged and rebuilt in 13, set for turn in.

I know of a 09 salvage personally owned fixed, but wasn't rebuilt because of the scandle, owned since 14, that will be a good indicator once its submitted.

so many scenarios and laws in different states so its a little hard to know 100%

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Got my offer on our rebuilt salvage (car was damaged in a tornado, "totaled," and repaired when it was about a year old). Hope you folks are shortly behind me. There's a free notary at DH's work on Weds, so we'll get our offer notarized and uploaded then. Hopefully we won't have more than a month to wait for a turn-in date.

Jdtdi2

TDI
2011 JSW
Bumping this up to see if anyone has any salvage/rebuilt title buyback stories they wouldn't mind sharing.

gin

TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I just recently scheduled a buyback for my rebuilt 2012 Jetta (purchased in 2013 from a dealer with a rebuilt title).

Docs uploaded - 11/20/16
Approved - 12/20/16
Offer Letter Received & Notarized - 1/4/17
Buy Back - 2/11/17

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Docs uploaded - 9/23/16
Offer - 12/30/16
Offer notarized & uploaded - 1/3/17
Available to sched. return - 1/3/17 (2 hours after upload of notarized docs)
Buy Back - 2/21/17 (earliest date was 2/14, but no good time for us)

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Bumping this up to see if anyone has any salvage/rebuilt title buyback stories they wouldn't mind sharing.
My salvage A3 was returned and payment received. There's no peculiar story with me that's different than clean title returns.

Babyspider

TDI
2009 Jetta DSG Turned in, 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG, 2015 A3
Salvaged title

Carolina VW
Turn in took 10 minutes
Email received before leaving from VW
Waiting on the chase email 1-3 days and the transaction will be complete
Not one salesperson asked me about buying a car nor did I ask.

Ray102386

TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sedan, 2013 VW Jetta Premium, 2013 VW Toureg TDi Sport
Well, bought the car Sep 2012 from the dealership. Drove the hell out of it, over 100K miles at turn in. Hit a deer January 2013, fixed over $8K worth of damage through insurance. Then wrecked it again July 2016. It was totaled due to value being considerably low. Insurance paid off loan and had enough for me to pocket some cash and buy the vehicle back from salvage. Title never traded hands, as Oklahoma allows owners to keep the title with a lien entry on it. I received the lien release shortly there after. I submitted all documents and lien release with title to the portal. Just turned in the car 1/11 for the buyback. Everything went very smooth and i had my money in my account this morning.

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Accident/"Total Loss": 5/28/2016
DMV "Salvaged" record: 9/16/2016
Purchased: 11/16/2016
Docs Submitted: 11/25/2015, Add'l Submitted: 12/15/2016 (prior reg, bill of sale)
Accepted: 12/30/2016
Offer Letter Received: 1/13/2016, 100% buyback and restitution
Notarizing next week.

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
I turned mine in today with previous salvage title. They had the check waiting for me. All went fine. Wife pulled up to pick me up in a 3 day old Honda SUV with intransits tags on it. Sales guys just glared...

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
Well, bought the car Sep 2012 from the dealership. Drove the hell out of it, over 100K miles at turn in. Hit a deer January 2013, fixed over $8K worth of damage through insurance. Then wrecked it again July 2016. It was totaled due to value being considerably low. Insurance paid off loan and had enough for me to pocket some cash and buy the vehicle back from salvage. Title never traded hands, as Oklahoma allows owners to keep the title with a lien entry on it. I received the lien release shortly there after. I submitted all documents and lien release with title to the portal. Just turned in the car 1/11 for the buyback. Everything went very smooth and i had my money in my account this morning.

What did it look like when you turned it in ? Curious the "damage" from the second claim.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
My salvaged 2013 Golf turned in today. Handed the salvaged title to ambassador and 10 minutes later I was out the door. Eazy Peezy

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
I asked the gal running the turn in program if she had any weird ones. She said a guy showed up with keys and title, say down like I did. Then she said lets go look at it and I need to start it. He said well that is a problem, I totaled it 2 weeks ago. She said you have no VW claim then, and I will mark it intelligible now. He fully was hoping she would give him a check and he would snake out and they would not be able to find the car on the lot or something. Would not have been smooth long term for him.

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Turned my salvaged DC titled 2013 Passat SEL in yesterday, waiting on the JP Morgan EFT but everything was smooth--only exception was VW asking me for "Proof Of Acquisition", I provided them with a scanned copy of the title from the MD dealership that was signed over to me and they accepted it. I got my car in Feb 2016 and paid $12,400 cash for it, turned it in with 50,318 miles on it and got $26,037.