Rear window tail light glare

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My 2006 jetta makes a lot of glare from the in-cabin (center) tail light. It's really bad at night. Unless what's behind me has headlights I won't be able to see it over the glare. It safety hazard driving in my apartment complex at night .

Anyone find a way to fix this?

I also have to question the "Oh Sh*t!" handle on the driver's side. If the driver resorts to using it there's a definate problem. :D

Last edited:

RAST

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
What handle are you talking about.
I think he's referencing the handle above the door, near the headliner.

When a passenger feels the driver is driving a bit too spiritedly they may find comfort in grabbing the handle and holding on, sometimes accompanied by the exclamation, "Oh $&!%." Hence the endearing term.

Usually they are on the passenger side, but in the Mk you will also find one on the driver side.

I find it useful to hang a work light from while vacuuming or detailing the interior. You may want to refrain from grasping the handle with both hands while driving. I'm surprised that isn't noted in the owner's manual, given all the cautions that are spelled out with such detail.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
mmalluck said:
My 2006 jetta makes a lot of glare from the in-cabin (center) tail light. It's really bad at night. Unless what's behind me has headlights I won't be able to see it over the glare. It safety hazard driving in my apartment complex at night.
I have noted the same problem, but I did not have time so far to inspect it more closely. It is really annoying.

The quick solution is ti put a stripe of black foam between the glass and lower light frame, but I want more sofisticated solution :).

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
handles

I've heard of these referred to as the "jesus handles" before. Although it may not be politically correct to call them that, the name does fit.

All of Us
'06 Jetta TDI "Graycie" Pkg2, 5spd

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Usually I dirve alone. My wife has been so spoiled by my new "conservative" driving style that if I speed up a bit, I get the "You're putting our lives in danger" speech. The handles never come into play. :)

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
I have the same glare also. It has changed a little since I had my windows tinted, but still there.

docvb

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI north sea green, bone stock and loving it!
I fixed this by placing 2 small shims between the black shield and the liner. This presses the shield up against the rear window and blocks the glare.

Works great!

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
docvb said:
I fixed this by placing 2 small shims between the black shield and the liner. This presses the shield up against the rear window and blocks the glare.

Works great!

Got pics?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
docvb said:
Does not the shield rattle against the rear window?

Leedogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Present: 05 Passat TDI Past: 06 Jetta TDI
docvb said:
No rattle.

No glare.

No problems!
and no pics! LOL

Mine does this too- real bad since my rear window is darkly tinted. I am prolly gonna find some narrow weather stripping to put back there.