Rear window Clicks but doesn’t move

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hello I attempted to search but mostly found other questions unrelated to my experience today.

It was a hot day and I went to roll the windows down before getting in from the outside with the lock cylinder function and the driver side rear window didn’t budge. I immediately checked the rear window lock button and tried the window switches directly.. nothing but a click from the door that doesn’t operate.

I proceeded to pull the door panel/handle to check the switch connection and that is ok.

Any ideas where to look next?

Thank you

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Strange update: It now works... not sure what happened yesterday but stay tuned I guess.

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
Normally if this was mid-January I'd say it was ice causing it to jam, but in mid-June, who knows what might have caused the temporary issue.
I had a 2000 Passat that had the same symptoms on the passenger front door window. But once it locked up, it locked up and would just click.
Wasn't until I pulled the door panel off that I saw a birds nest of wire cable that had frayed and split.

Pretty easy fix, pull the door panel, pull the motor/cable panel out, remove the old cable, thread the new one ($30 on Ebay), and reassemble it all. Maybe 3-4 hours total.