Rear pivot bushing change

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
Hi all,

Is there a way to change the rear pivot bushings without removing the entire axle? They look ok w a visual inspection but I've snug them up a few times & they're fine for a short period but rattle louder than before? I'm going to snap the bolts!

Thanks,
Dave

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well DCEll and I spent the better part of 5 hours doing them on my car. The bolts had used the galvanic action to be permanently attached to the bushing. So we cut them off. Then drilled holes through the rubber/aluminum middle of the bushing. Then we sawzalled all the way through to the metal outside portion. Then beat on the with a chisel, sawzall some more. I had the insertion tool and it went back in like butter.

Not a fun task and i can see why VW says it is not a replaceable component!

zppeacock

TDI
2001 Golf
I just changed mine today and used the energy suspension kit, left the axle in the car and did one side at a time, it was really easy with my Air Hammer and the new poly kit since it didn't have to be pressed in.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
I just did this and I think it worth the extra time to just remove it from the vehicle. That way you can use a press, or rented puller/press tools, or a vice, to help with the process. Poly might last longer, but I've heard they're noisy. You can use an upgraded bushing like the Seat Cupra bushing from Idparts and it's a lot more solid than the stock/OE bushing.

http://www.idparts.com/seat-cupra-rear-axle-bushing-pair-a4-p-4826.html

To pull the axle, it's just the shock bottom bolt, unclip the parking brake, and undo the brake lines. You would just have a little brake bleeding to do once it's back together, but you can work with it out of the car and get whatever tools in there you might need, depending on how stubborn it is.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Not noisy (squeaky) if installed following the maker's instruction.
and more solid than the Cupra (or TT front arm bushing).
The precision of knowing where the axle is tracking, versus a somewhere in this range with stock, or a slightly narrower range with the Cupra or TT, is not to be dismissed.

I'll not go back to rubber.

Last edited:

zppeacock

TDI
2001 Golf
Not noisy (squeaky) if installed following the maker's instruction.
and more solid than the Cupra (or TT front arm bushing).
The precision of knowing where the axle is tracking, versus a somewhere in this range with stock, or a slightly narrower range with the Cupra or TT, is not to be dismissed.

I'll not go back to rubber.
I have only had them in for 2 days now and I love how it handles now! And my banging noise is totally gone.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I pull the axle out, it's really not too hard. I remember back when rear wheel steering was the fad VW advertised how the rear axle could shift to help steer in hard corners.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
ECS Tuning is not far from the University I teach at today, going to stop on my way home. Great info guys, thanks for all the time saving tips!
Dave

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did this and I think it worth the extra time to just remove it from the vehicle. That way you can use a press, or rented puller/press tools, or a vice, to help with the process. Poly might last longer, but I've heard they're noisy. You can use an upgraded bushing like the Seat Cupra bushing from Idparts and it's a lot more solid than the stock/OE bushing.

http://www.idparts.com/seat-cupra-rear-axle-bushing-pair-a4-p-4826.html

To pull the axle, it's just the shock bottom bolt, unclip the parking brake, and undo the brake lines. You would just have a little brake bleeding to do once it's back together, but you can work with it out of the car and get whatever tools in there you might need, depending on how stubborn it is.
How heavy is the axle?

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
I was bummed, was looking forward to a visit at ECS, they have no store, parts can only be ordered. Their kit is like $90 plus shipping. I think the Energy Suspension kit is $67 at Summit Racing, also nearby!

Dave