Rear Passenger Side hard brake line?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
So, I'm guessing that it is not a factory part? The line blew on mine just as it comes out from under the resonator heat shield. only a few blocks from home so I was able to get back no big deal.

Lines going into the brake pressure regulator from the front are in good shape, but the ones from the regulator to the flex line coming off the beam axle? not so much, as in they have a hole in the passenger side.

Aside from trying to either buy a length pre flared with the proper threaded fittings (looks like i need to get a new flex hose as well) and bending it, are there any other options? Searching hasn't turned anything up.

I'm totally overwhelmed with everything (normal life ya know) and the car is suspect enough that I can't really take it to a garage to have it done (WAG based on underbody rust state). I'm just looking for advice from all y'all folks on the most economical (time + cash) way to approach this.

edit: 1996 B4V 233k

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
When I did the one on mine, I replaced it using 2 different length sections that I was able to get at the local advance auto. It made it easier to bend seperately and route over the suitcase muffler heat shield. I don't think it cost more than $15 for the 2 preflared lines and union fitting. Rusty Brake lines are a PITA to work on though on any car.

Last edited:

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I like the idea of two pieces with the union. I have to get that bit of flex too.

Bit of vise grip work and the thing is removed. Helped to cut the line right above each fitting. not looking forward to feeding it back through under the heat shield though.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
I like the idea of two pieces with the union. I have to get that bit of flex too.

Bit of vise grip work and the thing is removed. Helped to cut the line right above each fitting. not looking forward to feeding it back through under the heat shield though.
It's not too bad with 2 pieces. I used the old one as a template to make the bends in the new one before installing. IIR it was a 2ft & 3ft section and I used the shorter one on the left side where it threads into that block attatched to the chassis.