Rear brake caliper mount: what kind/size socket removes the bolts?

sleekblackbeauty

TDI
2009 Jetta
As in the title. I have a bad bearing, need to replace the wheel hub assembly. The bracket is held on by some kind of star type socket. What size is this, and what type of socket? I can't figure it out.

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
14mm 12 point

Can find them at Amazon or IDparts or other VW parts places.

Volkswagen has really enjoyed their mission of replacing all bolts with some square or star pattern. Not a fine myself. They must be laughing all the way home from work everyday at our expense.

sleekblackbeauty

TDI
2009 Jetta
Those b*stards! So I could buy the bits from the dealer? At least they are available, thanks!

Edit: I found the "triple square" bits from Metalnerd. http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm

$15 each, and I paid $18 extra to overnight ship so I can get this work done tomorrow! The dealer said it would be several days as they need to ground ship it from their supplier.

Last edited:

sleekblackbeauty

TDI
2009 Jetta
Just for closure, I would add the Metalnerd bits were high quality, arrived overnight for the $18 postage, and using them I got the job done very quickly and without much difficulty (other than awkward access to the caliper bracket).

I can recommend Metalnerd for online sourcing obscure tools!

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I just did mine this weekend. I am glad you got your rear calipers off. I nearly killed myself getting those rear caliper bolts off. I did not know that Hercules now lives in Puebla Mexico working for Volkswagen torqueing bolts on. Holy Cow, I can not even begin to describe the 2.5 foot long breaker bar and putting every ounce of energy that my 180 lb body could produce. I thought I was going to push the entire car off the lift before the bolt finally broke loose. Even after the initial crack it was still taking every ounce of force I had.
Reassembly in the book said 66lbs of torque plus a quarter turn, I do not know how that I can equate to 500lbs or more to break the thing loose.

Yes, I agree VW are bastards, I am not enjoying the Triple square, Torx bolts, and Allen bolts that they are putting all over gods green cars. I could not bleed my clutch this weekend, because the crap allen bolt that holds the air box on was naturally rusted and immediately stripped. I also hate the torx on the bottom engine covers, just waiting for the salt and rain to destroy those.

Last edited:

xracerbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The caliper bolts often rust in place making them extremely difficult to remove. I snapped the head off of one trying to remove it, which required most of the suspension to be disassembled to remove the cast spindle to drill out the bolt. When I replace the bolts I cover them with anti-seize now to prevent this from happening again.

Mitternacht

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi Cup Edition 6MT
To get those rear bolts off, I used my M14, 1/2" mini breaker and a floor jack to apply some hydraulic pressure. Works like a charm.

kermit80526

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
caliper bracket bolt socket

It's a triple square 14mm socket. Available at O'Reilly in Lisle for $55 or at Autozone in Duralast for $25. Both are a complete set. The one I bought at Autzone was already open so guessing a lot of VW owners are "renting" these the cheap way.

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
This thread is 3 years old, so I would hope the guy found his answer.

It's a good idea for someone who's going to work on their own Mk5 to buy a triple square bit set. You'll have plenty of uses for them.

subber598

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 2013 Passat SE, 2011 Jetta SEL
I just did mine this weekend. I am glad you got your rear calipers off. I nearly killed myself getting those rear caliper bolts off. I did not know that Hercules now lives in Puebla Mexico working for Volkswagen torqueing bolts on. Holy Cow, I can not even begin to describe the 2.5 foot long breaker bar and putting every ounce of energy that my 180 lb body could produce. I thought I was going to push the entire car off the lift before the bolt finally broke loose. Even after the initial crack it was still taking every ounce of force I had.
Reassembly in the book said 66lbs of torque plus a quarter turn, I do not know how that I can equate to 500lbs or more to break the thing loose.
Yes, I agree VW are bastards, I am not enjoying the Triple square, Torx bolts, and Allen bolts that they are putting all over gods green cars. I could not bleed my clutch this weekend, because the crap allen bolt that holds the air box on was naturally rusted and immediately stripped. I also hate the torx on the bottom engine covers, just waiting for the salt and rain to destroy those.
I must be the fortunate one; are people having difficulty with these rear mount bolts because it's the first brake job? I'm doing mine for the first time (two previously by a shop) which may have eased their removal; still tricky manuevering a breaker bar in that fender well though while on your knees.