RCD-510 Radio not Working. Power at the harness?

bbridgerb

The radio in our 2010 Jetta SW just died. I pulled it out and it is the RCD-510 premium 8 version (1K0035180AC).

Before buying a new one I decided to check the harness but I am not getting any voltage there connecting the brown cable and red/yellow ones? The ground (brown cable) tested fine.

I would expect it to be powered with the key on but I am not sure. I checked all fuses (engine compartment and dashboard) and they all tested good? What else could be causing no power at the harness?

It is amazing how many posts there are about these radios going bad!

cbarto4

TDI
I have the exact same radio and it just happened to me. It happened a month ago when I manually turned the radio off. I usually keep it on. The first time I was able to cycle the car and was able to get it back on. Yesterday I turned the radio off without thinking and nothing will bring it up. I lost hands free Bluetooth as well. Fuses looked fine. Going to pull radio today and check power and fuses. I have been reading that this might be more common issue on the premium 8 system. New radio at least 700 bucks. Read some Chinese knock offs are around 200 bucks. I will update on my journey with this issue.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Looks like my wifes 2011 JSW just suffered the same fate. She called to let me know it just quit while she was driving. Lovely!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I have the exact same radio and it just happened to me. It happened a month ago when I manually turned the radio off. I usually keep it on. The first time I was able to cycle the car and was able to get it back on. Yesterday I turned the radio off without thinking and nothing will bring it up. I lost hands free Bluetooth as well. Fuses looked fine. Going to pull radio today and check power and fuses. I have been reading that this might be more common issue on the premium 8 system. New radio at least 700 bucks. Read some Chinese knock offs are around 200 bucks. I will update on my journey with this issue.
I have them for $325 shipped if you need one.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I have them for $325 shipped if you need one.
Barry:

I can't seem to confirm which fuse is for the radio since VW does not supply any of this info. Does anyone know for sure which fuse box it's in for a 2011 JSW?

Can't seem to find it anywhere here.

Thanks!

Last edited: