rattling sound when idling

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Hello folks,

My 2000 Golf TDI makes a strange rattling sound when idling at a stop or tach is under 1000 RPM.

Any ideas what this might be?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
A better description and a location would be helpful.

Off hand I might suggest a heat shield or an exhaust part. It might just be some loose change in the glove box. Both would fit the minimal description you have offered.

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Point taken, guys!

If I'm sitting in the driver's seat and straight ahead is 12 o'clock, I'd say the sound is coming from 1 or 2 o'clock, or somewhere to the right of the middle of the engine compartment.

Ultimately, I fully expect to take it to my mechanic (he's pretty good), but I'm just curious what this may end up setting me back...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
puter said:
have you popped the hood and gotten a better location on it?
When you do that you can used a length of garden hose as a stethoscope. Take the plastic engine engine cover off.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Joe_Meehan said:
When you do that you can used a length of garden hose as a stethoscope. Take the plastic engine engine cover off.
That is a great idea, I have a mechanic's sonoscope but that only helps when you can put it against something.

I'll have to use that next time I need to find an ambient sound :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
A hose is great for finding the source of a noice!
But when you first start listening at the alternator, ac-pump, fan motor etc they ALL sound horrible :eek: