Range Anxiety on Passat TDI :(

mnm2008

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE DSG
"Range Anxiety on Passat :(" - Not really, But i ended up with an odd issue.

Over the weekend, I forgot to fill in and drove for quiet bit after the "Range 0" level.
> I ended up stranded on the road, and rather than waiting for AAA for help, I managed to pull over the car, go to the nearest gas station and bought in some diesel with the gas container. In a hurry i pushed in the gas container funnel little hard and i ended up leaving a red plastic thing in the tank.
> I tried to refill later but the pump would shut off as if the tank is full. Fuel Nozzle Reset @ the Pump would only let me fill in another 0.08 gal fuel. So to push in a gallon, it is a chore.
> Consulted with my local VW Service guys and i was told i could use this part "New OEM Volkswagen/VW and Audi TDI Diesel Fuel Nozzle Adapter" to fill in full tank and once i go through the full fill-in, I should hopefully be ok.
> I was able to fill in the tank with the adapter, drove for 100 miles and when i tried to top it off this morning, I still have the issue of pump "ticking" on me as if the tank is full.

Any direction?

Last edited:

mnm2008

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE DSG
Iam not sure if its causing this.. In a dilemma, since the VW dealer asks me to leave the car with them to diagnose and scared of them saying - 'replace the tank'

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
You could always remove the lift pump under the rear passengers seat when the tank is close to empty and retrieve the plastic.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
that's the best idea I can think of.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Remove red plastic thing, report back.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
You all are assuming the red plastic thingy even makes it into the tank. Depending on the size of it, and any bends or curves in the fuel filler neck it is possible it got stuck somewhere in the filler neck and is creating an obstruction.

However, I will agree that it is probably the root cause of the problem.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You all are assuming the red plastic thingy even makes it into the tank. Depending on the size of it, and any bends or curves in the fuel filler neck it is possible it got stuck somewhere in the filler neck and is creating an obstruction.
However, I will agree that it is probably the root cause of the problem.
I agree. It's likely stuck somewhere in the filler neck and obstructing the flow of fuel.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I agree. It's likely stuck somewhere in the filler neck and obstructing the flow of fuel.

I agree. While I've never had a VW fuel tank dropped and apart, I did just pull the tank on my daughters Jeep. The end of the filler tube had a ball in a cage arrangement, I assume most fuel tanks are similar. Anything other than liquid would never make it past that ball. You may be able to fish it out with a wire, or you might have to drop the tank and fish/push it out from that end.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Pull up youtube videos on how modern fuel nozzles work. Once you have viewed the video, remove the obstruction from the filler neck where it is currently lodged.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
couldn't he pull the mis-fuel guard and get a flexible claw grabber down the intake tube?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Couldn't he get Antman to go in and get it?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
did I not understand his post? with the VW fuel adaptor he was able to fuel ok, but without it he cant fuel or only fuel very slow. that tells me the misfuel guard is damaged and not allowing him to fuel up. remove the misfuel guard and see if you can fuel ok. If you can then the red plastic piece is in the tank and pulling the lift pump should give you access to removing it.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
did I not understand his post? with the VW fuel adaptor he was able to fuel ok, but without it he cant fuel or only fuel very slow. that tells me the misfuel guard is damaged and not allowing him to fuel up. remove the misfuel guard and see if you can fuel ok. If you can then the red plastic piece is in the tank and pulling the lift pump should give you access to removing it.
I would assume that the VW adaptor has to go in to the guard part of the misfiling portion for it to work, something like a funnel.

Its too bad that we haven't heard a report back yet, he must have plenty of fuel left. I'll bet breakfast that the red cap is in the neck, tripping the overflow on the pump. Using the VW adaptor moves the back up of air that stops the pump when its run traditionally. If that makes sense.