Random Occasional Ding

millerman61

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav, DSG. Bought back on 12/23/16
My Jetta has Kessey. I don't know if that makes a difference. Occasionally when I turn the car off I get a random (to me) ding when I open the door to get out of the car. I have read through the manual twice and I haven't seen anything in there referring to it. I don't think it means anything is wrong, it is just bugging the crap out of me that I don't know what it means when it does this.

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
I have something similar with my 2010 Golf, only I get a random ding right after I start up but not all the time. Sometimes ding, sometimes no ding. Been doing it since new and I have no idea what it means. I do not have KESSY.

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
I noticed this too. It is the same type of ding as leaving your headlights on, but like you said, it only does it once.

I always look to my headlight switch when this happens.

I have the same car as you, only with a manual tranny.

Love to know what this is is anyone figures it out.

Racewalker

TDI
2013 Jetta highline tdi sold, 2015 Jetta highline tdi
I had it happen for the first time today. I had been sitting in the car for a while after turning it off waiting for a storm to blow by. First time in 3000km.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I logged on here tonight about to ask the same damn thing.
The thing is...it doesnt happen everytime. Its totally random from what I can tell.

Gigitt

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Mk5 Jetta 125TDI, 1996 Mk3 Golf TDI
Maybe cause you left keys in ignition when opening door?

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I get it randomly too... Sometimes I think it's because I HAD the lights on after I turned off the car but before I open the door, but today I didn't. however, I did open the sunroof a tad before opening the door so I wonder maybe if the car is still doing something when you open the door? I dunno...

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
When you stay in your car for a long period of time (turned off and locked) that ding is a spring/sensor I believe, that triggers the lights to go on when you open the door.
Happens to me all the time when I am chilling with the gf.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Wow two threads on this? Is it the icy road alert that chimes at 39 degrees? Not sure the sure the OPs ding is the same you are experiencing

Last edited:

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I get that too in the 2015 w/ Keyless Start (not full KESSY). Not lights or turning lights off after engine. Also not from just sitting in car after stopping - I've gotten it about 3s after turning off engine. My Tiguan never did that, so its not just a VW thing.

I never get it after starting, anytime I get a ding after starting there is a reason for it (usually the < 4C outside temperature warning ding)

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Something interesting and possibly related...some combination of putting into Park, pressing the Stop button and time will sometimes result in ALL 4-doors being unlocked as opposed to just the drivers door. I posted something about this in 2012, trying to find the right combination of those three events.

The ding you hear may be a result of the proper sequencing of Park, Stop and time being met but then timing out. Just a hunch.

wwwabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I get them as well, It seems to happen when I am fast to open the door after turning the car off. I am 90% sure I have seen "P/N Switch" on the dash. I suspect it is just the computer catching up to all the switches and not registering the Park/Neutral switch right away because it was busy doing the shutdown sequence for the motor.