Random ? - headlights 2002 Jetta

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
This is a non-TDI question but since I know we have a lot of helpful VW owners I thought I would ask anyway. I have a 2002 Jetta TDI. My headlights suddenly seem much dimmer than usual. There is no difference in the brightness when I have just my day time running lights and when I switch on the headlights. I asked my trusty non-VW mechanic to take a look. He couldn't figure out what was wrong so he called VW and was told that some VW models have no difference between day time running lights and headlights. Can anyone verify this? He said he even tried putting a new bulb in and that made no difference.

On another note... after this all happened I had one light bulb burn out. This happened after I noticed that my lights were dimmer so it is not the cause... I'm not a car person but I am smart enough to check to make sure my bulb isn't burnt out if the lights look wrong :) Can anyone give aquick explanation of how to change the bulb? The owners manual only says they are difficult to change but doesn't tell you how to get into the compartment. I really don't want to take my car to a mechanic for one light bulb change....

freewheel

TDI
'15 Golf Hatch SEL (wife's); '15 GSW SEL (me)
This will show you some photos of how to change a headlamp bulb ... but actually doing it once (or watching someone do it) is better than 1000 pictures. At least the pictures will give you a rough idea of what the procedure is, though.
I seem to recall reading that in DRL mode, the lamps are supposedly 80 percent as bright as the lamps in headlight mode. I guess this could vary depending on model and year. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure I really notice a difference in my '01 Golf between the amount of light from the lamps in DRL mode vs. headlight mode. (Must be getting old.)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I can't think of a way the headlamps would go dimmer other than age or the covers or low voltage, all of which would also affect the DLRs.

It is possible, at least on some models, to adjust the relative brightness of the DLRs. It is also not easy to see the difference in brightness between the 80% DLR and 100% headlamps.

Have the voltage checked. Other than that, I suspect everything is OK Most anything that would cause reduced light would happen very slowly over time.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
dim lights

Have you had your alternator and battery checked lately? :) Check the grounds also.:)