Ran car out of DEF

worriedTDIowner

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
My son bought a 2012 Passat TDI. He ran the car out of DEF and now it will not start. I think the problem is there isn't enough DEF in the car as he only added about 2 gallons. I have 3 questions: 1. does the DEF need to be filled to the brim? 2. Will the car restart on it's own after filling completely or does it need some kind of reset? 3. If it needs a reset is that something that can be done by us or does it need to be done by a dealer?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Due to a malfunction of the system not reading the DEF I put in, I also ran the mileage out. You'll need to take it [have it towed] to a dealer to get it to start again. They may charge for the DEF - it's a vague charge for them. They should correct the lockout freely, though. Good luck.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I really do not know why people rely on warning lights. After I've driven around 5,000 miles or 8,000 km I just get out my DEF refill kit and top the tank up.
I've never ever seen a warning light come on that way,
Use the container the DEF came in or buy a brand new 2 gal gas can and fill it up at a truck stop at about $ 3.00 @ gallon.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
WHEN the message on the dash comes on, it is TIME TO PUT IN AS MUCH DEF AS YOU CAN !! No Ifs, ands, ors or buts. Especially since it is not that difficult to find. Any auto parts store, VW / MB dealer, Walmart, quite a few Diesel fill up stations, convience stores, probably some others if you look in Automotive fluids / supplies.

indy1976

TDI
2013 Volkswagen Passat SEL
Does it matter if I buy BlueDef or the WalMart brand? Is there a difference? I'm going on a trip and I'm not sure when the dealership (VW Certified) filled the DEF.

TIA

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
In fact - DEF makers are FORBIDDEN from advertising about different brands, since it is all the same stuff anyway....